LegacyGT.com

Compression test - Stock 05 2.5T w/208K Miles

So I've had my LGT wagon 5MT for about 6 years, bought with 99K and it has just over 208k now. Other than a turbo failure right after purchase, it's been a very solid car. Only mod is a catless up-pipe, I run Rotella T6 with Subaru filters and change it every 3k, and have generally kept up on all maintenance items. Recently on a 2000+ mile trip, I had the P0420 code pop up twice. Cleared the code so my cruise would work and continued on my trek. About a week later during a very cold 5 degree morning, I had a rough idle and had to keep my foot on the gas to keep the car running. During this drive, the CEL popped up another p0420, and P0302 and P0304 cylinder misfires. Cleared the codes and in the 1000 miles since then nothing has popped up.

I'm about to head out on another several thousand mile trip and decided I should probably change the plugs since I was over 50k miles on them, and my fuel economy seemed lower then usual on the last long trip. With the misfire codes and fear of possible ringland failure still on my mind, I did a compression test when I changed the plugs. Test was performed on a cold engine, and following some instructions found on this forum I disabled the fuel pump, cranked the engine 6 times and had the throttle wide open. All cylinders came out +/- 2lbs of 125. I was relieved to see nothing significantly lower than the others, but at the same time it is lower than spec.

Anything I should be alarmed about or does this seem decent for a cold test with 208k miles? Also reading up on ringland failure has scared me a bit, is it worth getting a tune to reduce the likely-hood of failure, or should I leave well enough alone if I've gone 208k miles without problems? Car has used about a quart between oil changes since I've owned it, but has stayed constant. I just check it every time I fill-up and top off as needed. This is my daily driver and I drive it fairly conservatively, but like to have a little fun now and then :) Thanks in advance!

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Have you ever replaced the front O2 sensor ? The front O2 sensor is used for figuring the amount of fuel the engine needs.

Other can explain it better...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived