LegacyGT.com

Questions about 2.5i+CVT

With my fourth gen LGT down for the second time since I rebuilt the engine I’ve been looking into getting a 2011-2014 outback 2.5i to drive while I repair it. I’ve been searching around on both forums for info on the engine and trans combo, but I was hoping I could get some more “personal and prioritized” information about your experiences with this driveline as far as what to look out for and what to expect seeing as the Legacy should share the same driveline option these years. It’s not going to get beat on, that’s what I’m keeping the LGT for it will be strictly a commuter/road tripper.

Thanks in advance and if I’m mistaken on any of my above statements pleas set me straight!

Go with a 2013, I bought one for my wife. The MY13 and up has steal belt CVT which is what you want. later models had a diff trans and they would die after 100k miles. I also recommend you change the trans fluid in the CVT even though they say it life time. That's a joke, I went with Amsoil CVT fluid. The car runs great, but you want to let the CVT trans warm up before you drive for a few mins or it act sluggish. This car is a mom mobile for my wife and halls the kids around. Great car.

Go with a 2013, I bought one for my wife. The MY13 and up has steal belt CVT which is what you want. later models had a diff trans and they would die after 100k miles. I also recommend you change the trans fluid in the CVT even though they say it life time. That's a joke, I went with Amsoil CVT fluid. The car runs great, but you want to let the CVT trans warm up before you drive for a few mins or it act sluggish. This car is a mom mobile for my wife and halls the kids around. Great car.

Thanks for your input, I’m going to check out a 2012 this weekend. Is the MY13 trans only in use on the 13 or other years?

From what I have read, 20102 did not have the steel belt CVT trans. I would go for a 2013 model. if not change the trans fluid in the 2012. Please check the passenger side valve cover gasket. these cars have an problem with them leaking due to the cat being right under the passenger side valve cover. Not a big deal. Mine has a small leak, and I plan on fixing it when I do plugs later this year.

I had a 2011 legacy, 167k miles, NO maintenance on the CVT, and it ran absolutely fine.. Until I got T-boned lol.

Now I have a 2014, approaching 100k miles, I'm planning on doing the CVT "dump & fill" at 100k. No issues or complaints.

IIRC Model starting in 2013 and on, they began using timing chains instead of belts.. Something very important to consider. Timing belt replacement is a costly item to have done.

I had a 2011 legacy, 167k miles, NO maintenance on the CVT, and it ran absolutely fine.. Until I got T-boned lol.

Now I have a 2014, approaching 100k miles, I'm planning on doing the CVT "dump & fill" at 100k. No issues or complaints.

IIRC Model starting in 2013 and on, they began using timing chains instead of belts.. Something very important to consider. Timing belt replacement is a costly item to have done.

You are correct, this is one reason why I bought this one for my wife. no timing belt. timing Chain and Steel belt CVT. I run Amsoil SS for the oil. The oil you use also lubes the timing chain FYI. So do not use junk oil. Being a dealer I get it at low cost :redface:.

You are correct, this is one reason why I bought this one for my wife. no timing belt. timing Chain and Steel belt CVT. I run Amsoil SS for the oil. The oil you use also lubes the timing chain FYI. So do not use junk oil. Being a dealer I get it at low cost :redface:.

Ive been using mobil 1 since I bought the car. At first I used the mobil 1 0w-20 "fuel economy" (in the green bottle). Im guessing its thinner than standard 0w-20 because it seemed as if the valve ticking was way more pronounced. As soon as I switched to standard mobil 1 0W-20, the ticking greatly diminished.

there is nothing wrong with the cars, just some things I researched when I was buying for my wife. I do hate how it cackles on first start up for a 2 secs. and it hate being driven when started up and put right into drive. I tried to tell my wife to let the trans warm up a bit. cause it lugs.

I have a 14 Legacy 2.5i and no issues until last week when one of the coil pack went bad. Now one other issue, not sure what's causing it, I'm dealing with. I only have 33k miles on it. Daily driver. I will probably never buy another Subaru again.

Archived