LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Tick on cold start!

When I cold start my Subaru Legacy 2.5 cold it sounds like the manifold is ticking like it has a leak or the bolts are snapped or something. It has done this since I bought and and the previous owner cut out the flex pipes and welded in straight pipes could this be the issue? It will continue to tick until it warms up then the tick goes away. But the weird thing is that if I tap the gas and rev up to like 3k or so and then the rpms fall and the tick goes away but it starts cold at like 2k but once I tap the gas the rpms go down to like 1k and the tick goes away any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what the tick sounds like, but our engines are very noisy, I'm thinking it's normal.

It sounds crazy, probably since I don't fully understand how fuel injectors work, but I hear they click/clack like crazy on our cars.

Another possibility is piston slap, the piston slapping around in the cylinder until the engine warms up a bit. Sounds like it might be dangerous or bad, but from what I've read, it's actually no big deal..

So it sounds like it's probably a little bit of piston slap since it's temperature dependent.

It's also strange, but normal that the rpm's drop once you tap the throttle after starting the car. I'll often tap my throttle in the morning to quiet my car down, so that I don't wake the neighbors.

I don't know what the tick sounds like, but our engines are very noisy, I'm thinking it's normal.

It sounds crazy, probably since I don't fully understand how fuel injectors work, but I hear they click/clack like crazy on our cars.

Another possibility is piston slap, the piston slapping around in the cylinder until the engine warms up a bit. Sounds like it might be dangerous or bad, but from what I've read, it's actually no big deal..

So it sounds like it's probably a little bit of piston slap since it's temperature dependent.

It's also strange, but normal that the rpm's drop once you tap the throttle after starting the car. I'll often tap my throttle in the morning to quiet my car down, so that I don't wake the neighbors.

It’s more of a tick and sounds fine when warm and if I put into drive when cold it goes away

• 3 weeks later...
Should try to upload video or audio when you have time

That is with it running for about 5 minutes

And this is with it cold like 12+ hours sitting

And also I’ve noticed it kinda running like crap when it first starts cold you can hear it in the first video it sounds likes it’s running really lean, bad fpr? Bad fuel pump?

Edited by megamastermike101

Honestly after 11 years and 240k, nothing in those videos sounds too abnormal to me. I hear a little stumble or something when the engine is cold, but it's not something I'd worry about if there are no codes and the car drives fine. I think if anything our cars tend to run a little rich. Could try cleaning the maf sensor, I can't remember if you've done plugs yet, could check spark plug wire resistance, coil pack resistance.

coil.thumb.jpg.4ea185aaf19c62eb9c2375142fad1924.jpg

wires.jpg.2ea1911c88ef0a1e5e758189c426b680.jpg

maf.jpg.5942d9c20fe56d2af39d87a9b5dc794b.jpg

Honestly after 11 years and 240k, nothing in those videos sounds too abnormal to me. I hear a little stumble or something when the engine is cold, but it's not something I'd worry about if there are no codes and the car drives fine. I think if anything our cars tend to run a little rich. Could try cleaning the maf sensor, I can't remember if you've done plugs yet, could check spark plug wire resistance, coil pack resistance.

Yeah I’ve done plugs when I first got it but never did or checked the wires I’ll check those soon

Replacing wires with new OEM helped with stuttering at startup on my son's 2005 NA OB. The ticking is present to this day and I wasn't able to get rid of it even after a full engine rebuild (full rebuild of shortblock, heads work with valves grinding etc). I did valve adjustment twice myself, made no difference. Has been like that for about 35K miles and 3 years. Ticking comes from driver side.

I just left it alone.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Every time I think mine is ticky, I go listen to videos of others and realize that's a Subaru engine. They have somewhat noisy valve trains and injectors. The different EJs (2.2, 2.5 SOHC, 2.5 DOHC) have varied in volume, but all have had the ticky sounds.

It may be signalling you in Morse code --T-H-I-S--I-S--N-O-T--M-E-R-C-E-D-E-S--

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K