LegacyGT.com

Why isnt there a good dual catch can walkthru?

Why isn’t there a walkthrough anywhere for dual catch cans on an ej255? Every post I find is unclear and has no pictures or ones that don’t help. I’ve search thru years of legacygt posts and wrx posts and came up with very little. Mishimoto has a video but it’s terrible. Am I missing something? I’d really like to do the catch cans but have been putting it off for some time because I can’t find good instructions. Maybe there is something out there that I haven’t found. If anyone knows of an actual walkthru please post the link. It will help me and I’m sure many others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased a few weeks ago an air oil separator instead. From Radium. Top notch quality. $$ though.

Pretty good set of instructions even though these were for the wrx (ej255). I have installed most of it. Not finished yet because the engine is still on the stand! I made a crappy video to remind me where stuff will go too.

d171164514510dd6f3879fc09fcf3d59.jpg

So here is a crappy picture I drew of how the system is routed. Yes I know the crossover is on top but it was getting too jumbled. Where do the catch cans fall into this system? Is it just the breathers that get messed with or the entire pcv system too? I wish I had investigated this more a few weeks ago when my intake manifold was off so I could get a better picture of what is going on.

I purchased a few weeks ago an air oil separator instead. From Radium. Top notch quality. $$ though.

Pretty good set of instructions even though these were for the wrx (ej255). I have installed most of it. Not finished yet because the engine is still on the stand! I made a crappy video to remind me where stuff will go too.

Yeah radium is nice. I kind of wanted to keep it cheap and go w the duals tho. Just wish there was more info out there

Unless I am mistaken, most good quality dual are still pricey no?

I'll try posting my video and see if it helps you..

No you’re correct. It seems they add hundreds of dollars to the full kit price for giving you $10 worth of hoses. I was going to piece together my own system.

I run a single catchcan at the moment but am planning on going to dual. Feeding the oil pan vent, 5/8 hose with the plastic splitter and pcv valve in it, to its own catch can. I have a lot more room now that I went fmic. Before I genuinely couldn't find anywhere to mount another catchcan without having it in the front of the engine bay which I did not want to do.

I can post up some pics later today of what I'm running now if it helps

Edited by Yasha

I bought the same one also, and it is getting installed on my car. My shop and builder mentioned it, so I bought it, and the FPR kit, and the gauge for it. I was going to bu the fuel lines, but they are making custom one for me.

• 1 month later...

So I ended up making my own catch can system. It’s kind of overkill lol. I used three cans. One for each valve cover and one for the pcv. I know I didn’t need three but now everything is independent.

So for anyone who wants to know how to run the lines I’ll tell you how I did it.

For each head I used the front port breather. This is the one that eventually leads back to the inlet. I went from that port into the catch can and from the catch can back to the crossover pipe that this port was originally connected to. This was done on each side.

The third catch can I went from the pcv valve. Attached at the white plug which is the one that goes back to the inlet. Went from there to the catch can and from the catch can to the inlet.

Now we wait and see if the oil gets into the cans

f76799e3535051dff0036daf47e28786.jpg

Edited by Ares3985

X2! Keep us posted, I like the SS braided hose that gives it a nice clean look. Where’d you get the cans from?

The cans I got on amazon they were like $17 each and the hose also amazon. It was $20 for 10 feet which was perfect amount. $71 for the full setup which is still less then 1 Mishimoto can and wayyyy less than a radium setup. Only thing I didn’t like is the cans have no gasket on top for the inlet and out. Just used some permatex. Also the fittings were hand tight so I tightened them down. Smoke tested each can before install. Added some steel wool to the cans. So far so good. Prob be a while before I get enough condensation and oil to tell if it’s working. Only issue I see is that I will have to remove the cans to drain. Not too big a deal. I can always add drains later on.