LegacyGT.com

GT splash shield on 2.5i?

My car was missing the engine splash shield when I bought it. Winter in is just a blink away, so I'd like to get one since I live in the rust belt.

I noticed the shield for the GT covers a much larger area at the rear. Does the 2.5i exhaust hang down lower in that area or something? Does anyone know a reason why I wouldn't be able to use it?

The area above the red line is cut off on the 2.5i shield...

gt_shield.thumb.jpg.247133434e4f9c838eeb974dbb0c833f.jpg

you could probably make it fit, but you might have to zip tie or modify it to get it on, depends how the cowls under the car differ. the big question mark is if you've got a mounting hole on (i believe) the transmission crossmember that the part i circled bolts on to. if not then you're gonna be flappy, or you're going to need to zip tie and rig stuff up so that it doesn't.

asdf.jpg.76cb5440c3aea4152de51214adc10ea7.jpg

The 2.5i shield goes straight across. If yours is where the red line is, your car was missing one part of it. As mentioned I don't know if the 2.5i has the bolt mounting point on the crossmember. I don't think the 2.5i exhaust would interfere with the GT but it has been a while since I was up under 5th Gen 2.5i.

The 2.5i shield goes straight across. If yours is where the red line is, your car was missing one part of it. As mentioned I don't know if the 2.5i has the bolt mounting point on the crossmember. I don't think the 2.5i exhaust would interfere with the GT but it has been a while since I was up under 5th Gen 2.5i.

From the research I was doing, the shield that goes straight across is for automatic trans 2.5i/3.6. My 2.5i is a 6MT, so the crossmember should be identical to the GT, no? If it's just a missing rear bolt hole I have to deal with, drilling and tapping that is no bid deal.

I might be under there tomorrow so I can take a look. Trying to decide if I'm bold enough to install sway bars and bushings in the freezing cold.

Edited by Plastixx

i did some digging around on the subaru parts website and it looks like they use different crossmembers. i don't know why they would, maybe it's just a mistake since the manuals are uncommon, but take a look and snap a couple pictures, should be able to tell more... like dgood said, i haven't been under a 2.5i in ages, let alone a manual one.

Easy enough to check - on the GT, the rear crossmember has a threaded hole (for a fastener) and next to it are two small square holes that the undercover fits into. The picture is an aftermarket one - the GT one has a heat shield over the extra part - I am guessing the main reason the GT splash shield is longer is to keep water from splashing on the turbo (which is right where the heat shield part is)

From the research I was doing, the shield that goes straight across is for automatic trans 2.5i/3.6. My 2.5i is a 6MT, so the crossmember should be identical to the GT, no? If it's just a missing rear bolt hole I have to deal with, drilling and tapping that is no bid deal.

I might be under there tomorrow so I can take a look. Trying to decide if I'm bold enough to install sway bars and bushings in the freezing cold.

The 2.5i 6MT does go straight across. Before buying my GT used, I had bought a new '12 2.5i 6MT.

One thing to note - the OEM splash shield is 2 parts - the rear part removes so that you can change the oil - with that aftermarket one, the whole thing has to come off to change the oil.

That's a good point. Looking closer at the aftermarket part, it does appear to be two pieces, but there's four rivets holding it together. I could easily drill the rivets out and replace them with push-type retainers.

My oil pan is extremely rusty and will need replaced eventually, so hopefully having that extra shield portion will help the new one last longer.

I chickened out on doing my sway bars yesterday due to weather and not feeling so great. Feel better today but the weather is even worse now. Man I hate this time of year.

I went ahead and ordered the aftermarket GT shield (56410AJ02B), push retainers, and OEM bolts. Looks like the temp is going back up by next weekend, so hopefully it's here by then and I can spend the day rolling around on my garage floor.

Really interested to see how much difference the sway bars and poly bushings make. The new struts and lowering sprints might have to wait until spring.

Received the splash shield today. It's made out of PE; I think OEM stuff is usually PP? The plastic is thick and feels extremely durable/flexible though. It has the aluminum heat reflector and 4 screws that hold the back portion on using those annoying metal trim clip things. We'll see how long those last.

I'll try to get a pic of it once it's installed.