LegacyGT.com

Exhaust smell / Recall WUJ-95

Ha !

Got my recall notice today , even though Subaru customer relations told me weeks ago that my car wasn't under the recall . Obviously the staggered announcements left the right

hand not knowing what the left hand was doing .

FWIW , my car did seem to make a LOT of noise under hard acceleration last week .. ..

George

Recall does not imply failure. My car was operating normally prior to the recall replacement, as were most vehicles, I'd guess...

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This recall was done to my 2016 legacy premium today. I didn't notice any problem before hand and don't notice anything afterwards. They did not tell me if the crack was there or not. Would have been nice to know. To be honest with you, I don't even know or trust that they actually did the work or just checked to see if the part was cracked. I hate NY stealerships, ugh.

I have still yet to figure out if the entire manifold is replaced or just the cracked section. If the entire manifold with the cracked portion, does that mean I got all new cats at 58K miles? That would be an expensive part, no?

Edited by kero

I have still yet to figure out if the entire manifold is replaced or just the cracked section.

The exhaust manifolds, headers (including expansion bellows), and catalytic converter are a single welded assembly on the FB25 engine.

If the entire manifold with the cracked portion, does that mean I got all new cats at 58K miles?
Yes ... cat (singular).

To be honest with you, I don't even know or trust that they actually did the work or just checked to see if the part was cracked.
You really ought to be better informed before you go around making blind accusations like that. The recall requires replacement of the manifold assembly. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The exhaust manifolds, headers (including expansion bellows), and catalytic converter are a single welded assembly on the FB25 engine.

Yes ... cat (singular).

You really ought to be better informed before you go around making blind accusations like that. The recall requires replacement of the manifold assembly.

#1 Thanks for all the answers

#2 With regards to making blind accusations, if you lived in NY where I do, you would feel the exactly the same way. Stealerships are infamous for saying one thing and doing another. This is from personal experience as well as personal experiences of close friends. I am not saying all of them but there are more than enough that do and makes it hard for people to get work done at dealerships with confidence. Near me, most times, you go into a Subaru dealership needing warranty work, they find a way to blame it on you and you leave feeling like crap when you did nothing wrong. This is not opinion, it's fact. If it were just me I would say it's' just me but it's not. Hope that makes it more clear. I am sure there are plenty of good dealerships and service centers out there. Near me "REQUIRES" probably means "OPTIONAL" lol

Edited by kero

I'm about to bring my '16 to the dealership where they will gladly charge me $110-$120 diagnostic fee for lookin into this (known) issue.

I'll wait to see what they say after already having it checked by my local exhaust shop who confirmed it is cracked at the Manifold Bellows.

I see two possible scenarios:

A) We have diagnosed your exhaust leak and it will be $2000-$3000 to repair.

We will apply the diagnostic fee towards the repair to help with the cost.

B) We have diagnosed your exhaust leak and are pleased to say that there is currently a recall (WUJ-95) that will cover it. While your vin number hasn't been added yet, we have contacted SOA and they have approved for us to proceed as if it were. Your safety is paramount to us, it is dangerous to drive with a known exhaust leak, and we stand behind our product and processes. When is the soonest you can leave the car with us so that we can get is fixed as quickly as possible?

Let's see what happens.

Edited by Painless

If (A) happens, contact subaru's consumer complaint / assist line, they have been known to really help in situations like this. They usually lean more towards helping then not helping at least for the people I know that have gotten help from them when the stealership was trying to screw them out of covering something or for charging for services that should have been covered under warranty etc.

It's worth a shot.

I'm about to bring my '16 to the dealership where they will gladly charge me $110-$120 diagnostic fee for lookin into this (known) issue.

I'll wait to see what they say after already having it checked by my local exhaust shop who confirmed it is cracked at the Manifold Bellows.

I see two possible scenarios:

A) We have diagnosed your exhaust leak and it will be $2000-$3000 to repair.

We will apply the diagnostic fee towards the repair to help with the cost.

B) We have diagnosed your exhaust leak and are pleased to say that there is currently a recall (WUJ-95) that will cover it. While your vin number hasn't been added yet, we have contacted SOA and they have approved for us to proceed as if it were. Your safety is paramount to us, it is dangerous to drive with a known exhaust leak, and we stand behind our product and processes. When is the soonest you can leave the car with us so that we can get is fixed as quickly as possible?

Let's see what happens.

Jesus Christ, NO. If your VIN is affected, simply make an appointment, show up (only if they concur you’re on the recall list), and if your VIN is on the list you get a new cat and header. This isn’t freaking rocket surgery folks!

Edited by gathermewool

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

• 1 month later...

Well... Unfortunately... "A" was the final answer from the dealership.

I presented him with a copy of WUJ-95 and he seemed unfamiliar.

I requested that he contact SOA and inquire as to coverage.

After chasing him for a couple of weeks, he stated that "the updated parts were already installed".

So, I checked again end my VIN is not on the list.

I suspect that they have not included it yet as it is being done in phases.

Just contacted SOA directly and requested they evaluate my situation as it is failing in the area identified in the recall.

Fingers crossed.

Dealer Diagnosis (redacted)-.pdf

Well... Unfortunately... "A" was the final answer from the dealership.

I presented him with a copy of WUJ-95 and he seemed unfamiliar.

After chasing him for a couple of weeks, he stated that "the updated parts were already installed".

I suspect that they have not included it yet as it is being done in phases.

Just contacted SOA directly and requested they evaluate my situation as it is failing in the area identified in the recall.

Fingers crossed.

How many miles on your car? I think the cat should have a federal 8 year/80k warranty.

Edit: After looking through some of your other posts, you're over 200k. Be prepared for SOA to tell you to pound sand.

Vin not on recall list, over 200k, soa not gonna do anything.

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't blame painless for contacting soa, it doesn't hurt to try, especially on an expensive repair like this, and when it failed in the same way that the recalled cats do. I would've done the same.

Edited by apexi

... I checked again end my VIN is not on the list.

Per the recall document, if your Legacy was built after Sep 30, 2015 it is not subject to the recall. It won't hurt to contact SOA anyway; they still may be willing to help.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I got a letter in the mail last week about a recall, WUJ-95. I called the dealer up and they said yes there is a recall and to bring the car in to get the work done. I had this work done already back in early 2020 but at that time there wasn't technically a recall. I asked the dealer if there was an issues with the first replacement part and he said the first time it was the flex pip but this time it's the cadillac converter that is being replaced. Not sure if peps are getting letter from Subaru but thought I would let ya know.

I had this work done already back in early 2020 but at that time there wasn't technically a recall.

Who did the work? Exactly what work was done? Did you have to pay anything? If a Subaru dealer did it, there should be a service record in SOA's database.

I asked the dealer if there was an issues with the first replacement part and he said the first time it was the flex pip but this time it's the cadillac converter that is being replaced.
Either you misunderstood, or "he" is incorrect. In the Gen 5 Outback (2.5), the exhaust manifolds, flex bellows, and catalytic converter are a single welded assembly. Ask the reference number for "this time;" if it's WUJ-95, it's the same recall.

spacer.png

Who did the work? Exactly what work was done? Did you have to pay anything? If a Subaru dealer did it, there should be a service record in SOA's database.

Either you misunderstood, or "he" is incorrect. In the Gen 5 Outback (2.5), the exhaust manifolds, flex bellows, and catalytic converter are a single welded assembly. Ask the reference number for "this time;" if it's WUJ-95, it's the same recall.

Subaru dealer did the work under WUJ-95. The replaced the catalytic converter. No I did not pay because it was classified as a recall.

So...uh...

My point is that I had the flex pipe replaced back in early 2020 under this recall number but at that time it was an official recall. I got a letter about a week ago stating there is a recall with the same number and this time they replaced the catalytic converter. Jus thought I would let people know.

My point is that I had the flex pipe replaced back in early 2020 under this recall number but at that time it was an official recall. I got a letter about a week ago stating there is a recall with the same number and this time they replaced the catalytic converter. Jus thought I would let people know.

This makes no sense. WUJ-95 requires replacement of the entire welded manifold/flex bellows/CAT assembly, as already stated at least twice in this thread; it makes no provision for replacing the flex bellows or CAT alone. Also, recalls like WUJ-95 are one-time only procedures.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

This makes no sense. WUJ-95 requires replacement of the entire welded manifold/flex bellows/CAT assembly, as already stated at least twice in this thread; it makes no provision for replacing the flex bellows or CAT alone. Also, recalls like WUJ-95 are one-time only procedures.

I am going off what the service manager told me and now that you mention that and looking at my first service paper it does say they replaced the flex pipe no mention about cat. So either the dealer messed up it and didn't replace the part or they didn't input it into subaru system which is why it indicated my car had a recall. But they did the WUJ-95 twice.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a pic of the new "PIPE COMPL" 44620AE86A that came in my kit SOA635156.

Bellows and Cat are welded into the front exhaust assembly.

It's one unit.

Accomplishing the WUJ-95 myself took only a couple of hours with no snapped exhaust manifold studs (lucky).

Once I removed the old one, I confirmed there was a leak in the bellows as stated in the Service Bulletin.

I will be contacting SOA again to request some type of coverage.

2147231888_Exhaustfront.jpg.76398ff9598660fa75794a7c1b218200.jpg