LegacyGT.com

AOS Kit  

22 members have voted

1. 1. AOS Kit

PCV systems on turbo cars are always a compromise to satisfy emissions constraints. If emissions is not a concern I’d remove the whole system and vent to atmosphere. Your choice whether or not to run it through an oil separator.

At a MINIMUM, you need to make sure the PCV valve will actually seal under boost. Otherwise you’re pressurizing the crankcase with boost pressure and making your problems worse.

The turbo Subaru PCV system is one of the worst I’ve seen, but oh so typical of a production turbo car.

I'm all for diverting any oil from the intake. Changing to GS AOS stopped my issue of occasional smoking on startup. It was an experiment that seems to have worked. I have a new PCV assembly to install as well next OC.

GS was the least problematic to revert back to stock every two years, because California.

Stage 2 and when I pulled the TMIC there was a bit of oil in the outlet area. I went with and IAG AOS. Hopefully it's not going to have an oil build up in the old side of the "cold" side of the intake.

Also, at PIA, when you mention something they don't care for, they'll talk you out of it. They had no problem with the AOS.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

I have one on the wagon, but not going to both putting one the Spec B.

Got a SG Motorsports one from a group buy back in the day.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=flatirons+pcv

Flatirons has done some really good research into these topics. About an hours worth of video from their track session and catch can blackstone test.

Interesting little side note, IAG says:

Less than 600 WHP on pump gas – IAG recommends the Competition Series AOS

Less than 600 WHP on E85 – IAG recommends the Street Series AOS

Greater than 600 WHP on E85 / PUMP GAS / RACE GAS – IAG recommends the Competition Series AOS

which seems to imply that the fuel type and HP may affect your choice.

Overall I think Crawford and IAG are the best because they heat the can which is beneficial. However in a quick look at the crawford they said they mount to the TGV's and dont work with after market TGV's. So mounting location may come into play as well - IAG seems to have more options.

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Issue I had with IAG was mounting location and relocating main loop wire harness. Not something that would be easy to revert for the visual needed to keep the car registered in this state. Otherwise it was the best option of most looked at.

I did replace the PCV last weekend. Even with the GS AOS was seeing the breather lines sweating. Keep in mid these hoses are the Free Range Racing silicone hoses so probably not a real high quality materials... Funny though these are the only hoses fro that kit that seem suspect. All the other vac and coolant hoses have held up well.

Have to pull all of this gear to go back to stock in the near future. Once that's over I can go stage 2 for a couple years at a time. Unless I get tired of this madness and sell the car and go back to stock to sell it.

• 1 year later...

So I have a tuned spec.B putting down 260hp/290tq at the wheels. I'm experiencing a pretty good amount of blow-by, as I'm loosing oil at a higher rate than I'd like; no leaks, no smoke, but I'm running through oil between changes, so I'd like to get an AOS. The tune has her pushing 19psi with Cobb Intake & AP, 3" turbo back exhaust, VF46, AVO top mounted intercooler.

Based on the comments above would I be better off with the IAG Comp or IAG Street?

So I have a tuned spec.B putting down 260hp/290tq at the wheels. I'm experiencing a pretty good amount of blow-by, as I'm loosing oil at a higher rate than I'd like; no leaks, no smoke, but I'm running through oil between changes, so I'd like to get an AOS. The tune has her pushing 19psi with Cobb Intake & AP, 3" turbo back exhaust, VF46, AVO top mounted intercooler.

Based on the comments above would I be better off with the IAG Comp or IAG Street?

This is missing the Radium Engineering unit (Which I have going on my car). I kept asking what to get on here and I got many different answers. When I called the shop last week I had my eye on Radium Engineering, when he said "if you can spare the coin for Radium Engineering" I bought it. Along with more stuff they have. TOP NOTCH quality!! He did mention Crawford which I had on my 09 WRX.

If your pockets are nice go Radium Engineering. Just my .02 cents. I am a saver and I want the best for this legacy.

As a follow up to my prior comment, when they were looking things over the last time I was there, they did comment that the AOS was doing it's job, as in there was no oil in the cool side of the TMIC.

So, I'd still go with the IAG since it's kept warm by the coolant so it shouldn't clog up.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Thanks SC.

I reached out to IAG about their systems and since I’m considering going E85/Flex down the road, they advised I stick with their street system, so I went ahead and ordered it and it should arrive Monday.

Thanks to all that contributed to this post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Following back up on this... I had to pull the GS back off for California.

While off yep the smoking at startup is back.

However what is interesting that the car was starting to run rough. It's running much better now without the GS TMIC, Cobb BOV and GS AOS.

I suspect the hose route may have started a little blockage for the head venting. Will do this a different way next time. Not any time soon though. Have plenty of other things to take care of first.