LegacyGT.com

Fast...and quiet?

Ime, a 3” turbo back on stock muffs is good for low down torque...

I went for GR sedan quads modded for BP... for a bit extra...

If you want to quieten straight-through muffs, a mufflered (baffled) midpipe is one option.

EL headers are another option, they quieten the boxer throb somewhat :)

Then there’s various mufflers with harmonic canceling, google “sidebranch resonator” for eg.

BTW thanks for the sidebranch resonator tip (pun intended), clearly I haven’t been keeping up with some car trends and technology...and being a Nissan guy I’ll need to learn the Subie lingo. At least I knew what elh meant. :).

My car is in the 280-300whp range, and only picked up 5 g/sec going from the stock catback to a 3" setup. That's less than a 2% more airflow.

Worst case at 400whp you might have a 3-4% power loss with the stock catback vs a higher flow one.

Hi guys - this might be a weird question, but has anyone tried for having a lot of power with near-stock sound levels?

-Dave

All depends on your perception of "a lot of power"

I made 452awhp and consider my car on the loud side. (Grimspeed 3" DP to

3" HKS silent power TBE.) My tuner remarked that it felt more like 500whp because it is so "quiet".

Point is both are quite subjective. YouTube sound clips are somewhat helpful.

These are also interesting.

https://www.xforceusa.com/products/varex-mufflers

I'm running all forged and 292 whp and running the stock cans. It sounds great, pulls like a hero, and causes no fatigue on long trips.

Long live quiet. ;)

I'm all forged as well, you can and should be making more than that. Fueling low?

Thanks. Yeah "big power" can mean many things, in this case 400whp works even though it's not insane power. At ~400hp I'll trade 3-4% power loss for a quiet car. Silent (close to stock) and fast, that's the goal.

Thanks again.

I'm all forged as well, you can and should be making more than that. Fueling low?

Nope. Just running a Custom VF40 (basically built out of leftover parts I had laying around) and 650 injectors with Brian Crower 272 cams. Wanted stone reliable versus big horsepower.

Nope. Just running a Custom VF40 (basically built out of leftover parts I had laying around) and 650 injectors with Brian Crower 272 cams. Wanted stone reliable versus big horsepower.

Just seems like you're leaving quite a bit on the table....

Just seems like you're leaving quite a bit on the table....

I built it as I wanted it to be. I know it will handle 600 whp on the bottom end, but I don't need or want that kind of horsepower for this car. I have a stupid Mustang that is at 358 whp right now, and I basically only ever use it on the track.

Do the stock mufflers bolt up to the invidia q300 y pipe by chance?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No, they do not. Here's a Q300 muffler next to a magnaflow knock off.

DSCN7685.thumb.JPG.e9177701d93058bb9870aa35b0fef50e.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived