LegacyGT.com

What does the USDM Spec B need to fire you up?

It intrigues me that Subaru is offering a limited edition USDM Spec B Legacy for '06.

Response to it on this forum, however, has not been kind. So what do we want the USDM Spec B, to be?

Personally, for me to have an interest in the car (which would involve trading my '05 LGT Sedan), here is what the car would have to have:

1) An increase to at least 280 horsepower. This is what the JDM Spec B is rated--and I know, its an entirely different motor set up over there--but when I think of "Spec B," I think of 280 horsepower. More would be fine :D

2) Unique badging (which I believe the '06 will have).

3) Unique 17 or 18" Spec B exclusive rims.

That's all it would take to get me fired up. Suspension and interior extras would be cool, but the car has to stay under $36K for me to stay interested, so they don't need to overdo it. Perhaps a boost gage. :cool:

Who is with me? If not, then what would it take to fire you up about the U.S. Spec B?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a big bump in hp needs it badly.. the spec b us style is gonna be half ass.......... if there was a spec b equal or greater to the sti power and upgraded brakes tires and wheels, then it would become a big hit!!!!!!!!!!! but nooooo,,subaru rather come out with cars without the extra bells and whistles and underpower their cars and take their cars to stupid ugly direction in the b9..... i bought a subaru cause of the great base it provides and mod it to more my liking.. i only wish they got their act together, if they didnt bring the sti here subaru would be dead in the water. now they murdered the front end of it and it looks cheaper and less sporty.. yuckk.. subaru has to get back on track and deliver us a monster to turn things around cause theres alot of people unhappy of the direction they r headed in

More HP, six-speed MT (w/ DCCD maybe?), wagon variant, different bumpers maybe (like JDM Spec. B), and a few more color options would be nice. That's about it really for me.

I could do w/o the six-speed and HP, though. There's always AccessPort/ECUtek around the corner.

-ben

Basically make it a UN-LIMITED setup to save weight. Make the curb Wt around 3100lbs it is very attainable.. 6spd man and oh.......300HP/340FT-LB Stock!

Since it is a Un-limited model with very few frills price it for the ENTHUSIAST 32-34k;)

And while I am dreaming.....please do not put bridgestones as stock rolling rubber!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

How about a combination of these 2:

1) An increase to at least 280 horsepower. This is what the JDM Spec B is rated--and I know, its an entirely different motor set up over there--but when I think of "Spec B," I think of 280 horsepower. More would be fine :D

2) Unique badging (which I believe the '06 will have).

3) Unique 17 or 18" Spec B exclusive rims.

Basically make it a UN-LIMITED setup to save weight. Make the curb Wt around 3100lbs.. 6spd manual

Since it is a Un-limited model with very few frills price it for the ENTHUSIAST 32-34k;)

And while I am dreaming.....please do not put bridgestones as stock rolling rubber!

..... Friends dont let friends drive on RE-92's

Correct me if I am wrong, but the JDM Spec B powertrain is identical to the non-Spec B in Japan. That means even there....this is an appearance and handling package akin to the 'sport' packages offered on BMW, Audi and Mini. Slightly different look, wheel package and stiffer suspension.

If this was an option when I bought my car (and available to the wagon), there is no doubt in my mind I would have sprung for it. Heck....I sort of did anyway since I am using that same suspension now.

If you look at the differences between the JDM 2.0GT and 2.0GT SpecB models, the differences are only Bilstein suspension, 18" wheels, a different front spoiler and aluminum pedals.

Check this translated Japanese Equipment page : http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.subaru.co.jp%2Flegacy%2Fb4%2Fequipment%2Findex.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

Also, about us not getting the cosmetic JDM stuff, but if you look here http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/b4/lineup/index.html , the 2.0GT non-SpecB is exactly what we get in the US down to the rims, front bumper, etc.

PGT beat me to it, the Spec B won't get a power increase or a weight decrease, just the stuff I mentioned above, which is confirmed by the spy pics we got earlier.

I keed I keeed

You can keep it then, which if they try to price it more than 2-3k more than a LGT limited they will all sit in the showrooms! You are much better off purchasing a GT & upgrading it. Forget the badging & that boy racer interior.

Although if cosmetics are your thing........step riiiight up.......maybe they will even give you a kiss!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Ok... you asked... here goes.

An option package. The Spec B should not remain a limited run. OK, SOA, run your 400 Titanium Silver and Red interior cars... Then turn it into an option package. Just like FHI is doing in Japan and elsewhere.

The Spec B as it stands right now would probably be fine with me, if I could get it without NAV, and the 2k that it adds to the price. I'd like it better if I could get it in another color besides titanium silver, since my wife isn't big on silver, and we both like blue or red better.

You guys are right. Spec B in other markets is a suspension based sport package. I would not say no to a couple extra horsepower via a catless up-pipe and an ECU reflash. Even if it means 1 or 2 less mpg. The extra horsepower, even if it is just 10 or 20, will be marketing material. But the suspension is where it's at, an no extra power doesn't bother me. (I'll save for stage 2 anyway...)

I should be able to go into a Subaru Dealer, and make the following decisions, each independent of the other options.

Sedan or Wagon

Legacy (lower) or Outback (taller)

Engines: 2.5 w/o Turbo, 2.5 Turbo, or 3.0 H6. (with a 3.0R Legacy sedan, 3.0R Outback sedan may be moot point, maybe outback is wagon only. haven't decided...)

Transmission/AWD: Standard 5MT/Symetrical, Optional 5EAT-SS/VTD, Optional 6MT/VTD (like Legacy 3.0R Spec B in other markets)

Interior: Black, Taupe, or Grey interior.

Limited package or not. (leather and Sunroof)

Spec B sport suspension package or not; available for GT and 3.0R, standard 6MT, no-cost 5EAT option, 18x7.5" wheels, RE950s 225/40-18, bilstein struts, specific STi springs, aluminum control arms, 20mm rear sway bar, and unique front bumper cover, with Spec B larger grille. Spec B/Bilstein badge on trunk.)

NAV or not. Dealer installable after-sale, as well. All models.

Convenience Package: Memory seats/Homelink/HID, maybe more (standard on 3.0R models, optional on GT/2.5i)

Garnet Red should become a color choice for the whole line, and Solid Red added for 2.5 GT and 3.0R. WR Blue optional on Spec B package, or a commemorative edition, like 04 JDM WR Limited Spec B. Somehow to get at least a few WR Blue Legacys built in the US.

That way if you wanted cloth interior, no sunroof with a 2.5 Turbo/6MT and Spec B suspension in a wagon, you could order that.

If you wanted a Fully loaded leather, memory seats, 5EAT, no spec B suspension 3.0R sedan with NAV, you could order that.

Even if they only build certain of the most statistically viable option combinations for dealer's stock, a knowledgeable customer, (like say ME!) should be able to go in to the dealership, sit down with a salesperson, and hash out the exact combination I want on each one of those options, and order that car.

I know SOA isn't so keen on JIT manufacturing, but most other car companies offer MUCH more in terms of Build-to-Order capabilities, even if it isn't quite Just-In-Time. Subaru needs to be able to cater to it's customers like that, if it wants to acheive it's brand image goals of being seen as a near-premium brand. Plus it is just good business to offer what customers want to buy. Heh, who would have thought that?

1. Twin scroll, even if the power output remained the same.

2. 6MT if twin scroll, otherwise just a better box.

3. Fix the refinement problems in the current engine.

4. Better brake feel, not necessarily brembo's

5. Seat inserts/alcantera vs red leather. How about subaru blue inserts?

6. Available NAV with MT.

7. Non-brilliant silver or rally blue pearl.

8. Mcintosh.

Deer Killer, I think you are spot on with wanting that stuff, but some of it isn't all that likely.

1 Twin Scroll... Doubt it, but it would be nice. I've heard it is denied on emissions something or other. I'd love it if it would appear.

2 6MT would be nice with or without the twin scroll. They already have one in the 3.0R spec B Legacy. Not hard, just do it SOA, even at a cost-option basis (standard on Spec B, though.)

3 Rumor has it that the refinement issue is taken care of for 06.

4 Agree on the brake feel, even from just one test drive. Felt somewhat linear, but didn't bite much. different pads (and tires) might be the ticket.

5 I'd love blue alcantara interior. Not with silver, though. Too cold. Blue with blue, or blue with black. Red alcantara with solid red... hint hint.

6 Spec B Already has NAV and MT. Only car in the lineup to have it, GT Sedans can't get manual and NAV together (one or other), and Wagons get neither regardless. I wish NAV were optional on the Spec B, so I could get one without NAV. I wouldn't argue with a 5EAT option, even though I want a manual trans.

7 Non-brilliant silver... Spec B is Titanium silver. a slightly darker tinted silver, specific to the Spec B. I definitely would buy one, almost regardless of content, if it were WR Blue pearl.

8 McIntosh, oh yeah. I'd buy that option, too. Especially if there were some sort of way to get a aux line into it.

2 6MT would be nice with or without the twin scroll. They already have one in the 3.0R spec B Legacy. Not hard, just do it SOA, even at a cost-option basis (standard on Spec B, though.)

The 6MT in a Legacy is highly unlikely because the Feds will make them recrash test it. Every engine/body/transmission combination has to be seperately crash tested. This is part of the reason SoA's discontination of the 5MT GT Wagon is so stupid. They already paid a big fixed cost.

The 6MT in a Legacy is highly unlikely because the Feds will make them recrash test it. Every engine/body/transmission combination has to be seperately crash tested. This is part of the reason SoA's discontination of the 5MT GT Wagon is so stupid. They already paid a big fixed cost.

Daft bureaucracy crap. Mandate every little thing, then charge money to test it all over and over again... There is a reason "deregulation" has become a word. It is either the gov't charging tens of millions of dollars to the car manufacturers for the service of crash testing their cars, which BTW, is mandatory... And if they didn't charge the car company, who charges me in the price of the car...

The gov't would otherwise raise taxes and charge me anyway. I know nothing is free, but what happens when everyone has to pay for bureaucratic inefficiency, and gov't waste...

You are right on about it being stupid to pull the 5MT from the wagon in that case.

I just wonder what they'll do with the WRX STi when the impreza goes to a shortened legacy platform, and the STi wants to keep it's 6MT, when all the rest of the cars get 5MTs... OR if they want to offer a higher-performance legacy, like an STi model.

I wish it was coming with:

6-Speed

availible in as 2.5 Turbo and 3.0 H6

HID

Avail. Sat radio

3.0R lower body cladding and wheel arches

I know it is coming with:[?u}

Bridgestone RE050A's

Edited for clarity! :D

A better gearbox, more like the WRX STi's drivetrain. 5-speed is fine, but most people would want a 6-speed.

Wider wheels with wider tires, RE-050's would be good since that's what the GT should have come with from the start.

Spec B suspension that offers good handling with pretty good ride comfort

4 piston brakes with better pads stock -- I heard that even the regular 06 WRX will get 4 pots

But I'm not going to sell my 05 GT, regardless. :)

Archived