LegacyGT.com

Process West Verti-Cooler???

PW Verti-Cooler

I wonder if this would fit the LGT the same? The scoop baffle must be different to route the air rearward. Still a nice option given how well the original PW was received.

Better picture of the baffle here

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Process-West-PWTMIC13-Verticooler-Top-Mount-Intercooler

and more information

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2685674

Edited by Rhitter

The GS unit is NOT designed to fit the LGT or the OBXT. and from what I've heard, it sure doesn't fit the OBXT very well. not to say that any aftermarket TMIC options fit perfectly.

It WAS designed to fit the 08+ WRX, and it just happened that the 08+ WRX is similar to what the 05-08 LGT/OBXT is for TMIC placement and attachment.

...but to what I think you were trying to ask, this rotates the core from the nearly flat position of "all" Subaru TMIC's, and puts it in a nearly vertical position, so that the air doesn't have to make 2 nearly 90 degree turns to go thru the TMIC core and cool. so in theory it would get better airflow thru, causing better cooling over an equally sized flat TMIC.

science, FTW.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

• Moderators
The GS unit is NOT designed to fit the LGT or the OBXT. and from what I've heard, it sure doesn't fit the OBXT very well. not to say that any aftermarket TMIC options fit perfectly.

It WAS designed to fit the 08+ WRX, and it just happened that the 08+ WRX is similar to what the 05-08 LGT/OBXT is for TMIC placement and attachment.

...but to what I think you were trying to ask, this rotates the core from the nearly flat position of "all" Subaru TMIC's, and puts it in a nearly vertical position, so that the air doesn't have to make 2 nearly 90 degree turns to go thru the TMIC core and cool. so in theory it would get better airflow thru, causing better cooling over an equally sized flat TMIC.

science, FTW.

GS fits pretty well on an OBXT, IMO. The splitter is a bit off, but can be fixed without much fuss really. Install is the easiest of any intercooler I've dealt with--stock, Perrin, Process West.

The airflow equation is more complex than just the front side of the intercooler. I don't know who is right, but GS (and subaru also, based on their design) wants the airflow to go down and out the bottom of the car. PW is now arguing that it's better to go across the top of the transmission, and some argue that it's also just smacking into the firewall behind the verticooler.

Also, at a certain point, the airflow over a TMIC will simply be "enough" and additional airflow really won't help much. You can only remove heat as fast as it transfers into the fins, so if your airflow is enough to do that you're talking about minimal return.

:iam:

Edited by BarManBean

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Is there a splitter behind the verticooler? Could you not make a splitter post intercooler to produce a smooth transition for the air to flow close to the same direction as the OEM path?

I like the idea but the engineer in my feels like it can be improved upon. The airflow is going to be better with the PW IC because of the lack of 90° bends that Flinkly mentioned. Makes a large amount of turbulence in those bends and slows down flow. You want a little turbulence within the IC itself because turbulence increases heat transfer but before and after just hurt flow. Engineering FTW.

GS and PW got into a little fight over it. I think PW started posting about the Verticooler in one of GS threads (I can't find it right now, was probably removed).

Essentially GS said we checked all angles of the intercooler and found ours to be the most efficient regardless of what PW is saying.

It's one of those things that I am not sure we will ever really know the answer too.

I do remember reading that Delicious tuning has found the stock sti intercooler to be among the best (as intercoolers go) and the GS STI TMIC didn't really offer that much in non-road race situations (in AutoX it was heat soaking too much to actually be useful) (There was a NASIOC thread about one person experience)

I was talking to M Sprank recently and he briefly mentioned that they had seen good results with the Verticooler, but I didn't ask for more details.

Process West did do some testing of their Verticooler: http://www.processwest.com.au/process-west-verticooler-intercooler-system

In fact going through data we have gathered over the years from other test sessions tends to show that Verticooler is as effective in charge-air cooling under race conditions as a traditional front mount setup….but all without the inherent response delay that long inlet tracts deliver.

Here is the response from Grimmspeed about the Verticooler, after Kev from PW posted in their interest thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=42844608

Edited by WRX USA

• Moderators
The verticooler will not fit our cars, I've spoken to kev @ process west and they will not be designing one for LGT/OBXT fitment because of hood clearance issues.

I call BS. What he meant to say was that they won't be designing a splitter for an LGT, much less and OBXT, because the market is too small and they don't see a ROI.

I'm fine with the business decision, but at least be truthful.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

The verticooler will not fit our cars, I've spoken to kev @ process west and they will not be designing one for LGT/OBXT fitment because of hood clearance issues.

I just got the same confirmation from Kev. This was his reply when asked about not doing an LGT/OBXT variant:

That is correct.....the core from the WRX kit is too tall and needs a total redesign.

I can’t see us getting to it anytime soon

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

to revive .....

I'm still curious if anyone has installed installed a verticooler in an OBXT (or LGT). It doesn't seem like rocket science to make it work.

I thought that the idea of the verticooler wasn't completely that it intercooled any better, but that it was less prone to under-hood heat transfer in stop-and-go traffic. Am I wrong about that?

to revive .....

I'm still curious if anyone has installed installed a verticooler in an OBXT (or LGT). It doesn't seem like rocket science to make it work.

I thought that the idea of the verticooler wasn't completely that it intercooled any better, but that it was less prone to under-hood heat transfer in stop-and-go traffic. Am I wrong about that?

Isn't it occupying the same space as the GS unit? I.e. hanging over the turbo? Unsure how it would be less prone to under-hood heat transfer when all the conditions that cause under-hood heat transfer remain the same.

Unsure anyone with an LGT / OBXT will try it when ProcessWest explicitly says it will not fit due to hood clearance issues.

• 3 weeks later...
It seems like it could be a pretty easy DIY with some creativity. I still want a better TMIC but plan to use a small puller fan on the back, that'd be the best improvement for both intercooler and under hood temps. I know it's been discussed and done but it doesn't seem like a common mod.

For those worried about heat soak from the turbo. Some day after you shut the engine off, go feel the hot side and then the cold side of the GS tmic. I find the cold side to be cold.

Isn't that all that counts...

Hey, these are not race cars...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 years later...

Reviving a really old one here... Did anyone ever install the PW verticooler? I have one up but I'm not sure if I'm going to attempt it or part with it. Car is an OB with body spacers so it might fit.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Edited by norutah