LegacyGT.com

Loose Driver's Seat - Dealer $805 to Fix Need Help

Hello everyone,

I've got a 2011 2.5i premium legacy. 102k on odometer and counting. Stupid me, I forget to tell the dealer at 98K my driver's seat is a little wobbly under a 100k comprehensive warranty. Recent oil changed around 1400 mi out of warranty and they say the seat frame is busted. They want $675 or something for the part and a total of $805 for it installed. I am looking to call SOA and see if they will help me out, as this is my family's 3rd subaru and blah blah blah. But I am also preparing for them to have no sympathy and then I'll take this project on myself...

Either way... here is the part I am going to need (which I don't want to buy)!

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru__/49265065__6025079/FRONT-SEAT-CUSHIONBACKRESTPOWER/B14-640-03.html

64100A

FRAME ASSEMBLY-FRONT CUSHION,LEFT

64100AJ03A

$594.44

Honestly, I don't feel like taking the seat out, apart, together, and in again. I am looking at getting a used seat from a local yard and putting one in... I'm more than capable with tools (done struts, audio, brakes, and more), but the blood, sweat, and beers thing is getting old (especially with a repair vs. replacement).

Here's the kicker, I've bastardized the car quite a bit between wiring, trunk floor, audio, this that and the other. I'm not too worried about resale / trade value as I'm in it to win it and drive the car into the ground. I have the light tan cloth seats. Power on the driver side and it's heated as well.

I'm not concerned about color, but what I wouldn't mind is going to a leather seat with little use on it (I'm seeing them like $25-$50 more at local junk yards).

1. What is the closest leather color offered to (somewhat) match my current cloth? And will a leather seat connect right up? I know I want to find one that's heated... but are the power functions (up/down, back/front, seat back up/down, and lumbar) the same between cloth and leather?

2. Did leather (since limited or 3.6r only come with more power seat options? Or will my stock harness support that? I know I will need to disconnect/connect the airbag harness as well.

3. Is the seat belt buckle attached to the seat frame? Or is this directly bolted to the floor and it's not something I need to touch with this project?

4. Does anyone have a DIY/walkthrough for replacing/removing the seat? Perhaps from someone who replaced the stock seat with a racing/aftermarket seat?

If I can't go leather it's not the end of the world... but I wouldn't mind as light cloth is a nightmare to keep clean as we all know. I appreciate all the help in advance. Thanks everyone!

Removing and replacing the should be 4 bolts and 2 or 3 wiring connectors. It's pretty straight forward. Belt buckle is attached to the seat. The ivory leather should match the ivory cloth just fine. Finding seats with power and heat should not be a problem. You are over thinking this.

Removing and replacing the should be 4 bolts and 2 or 3 wiring connectors. It's pretty straight forward. Belt buckle is attached to the seat. The ivory leather should match the ivory cloth just fine. Finding seats with power and heat should not be a problem. You are over thinking this.

Thanks for the clarification.

Already been looking, now to call a few places.

As GT said, it isn't hard to remove. I replaced my seat with a racing seat and the whole process took about 30 minutes.

Thanks again.

2013-2014 seat should be identical to the 2010-2012. You can also use an Outback seat for the same years, they are identical to Legacy seats.

I figured Outback seats were the same as the Legacy, good to confirm; I'll have to see what they have.

Look at the pics on cars101.com.

Just took a look and I don't see any difference. Still 10-way power drivers seat w/ lumbar. Nice thing is all the 2013-2014's come with the AWP (heated seats) if they aren't a base model.

What is busted anyway? The seat frame is all steel, so it could be welded pretty easy if it's got a crack somewhere around the thigh support pivot, etc.

Its super easy to pull the seat cushion off. I've had mine on and off a dozen times.

Just in case you don't feel like replacing the whole seat...

Take it to a body shop... they can weld it together for you. Techs are car dealers are not allowed to run welders, so "welding" is NEVER a solution Subaru suggests, even if it's by far the best solution, like with the right-rear apron popping problem for instance.

Archived