LegacyGT.com

Headlight Brand Recommendations / Bulb Grease Necessary?

What does everyone recommend for headlights? I've feel I change my headlights out every 8 months and it's kind of annoying. In my old Jeep Wrangler, I felt like the headlights lasted at least a year and a half. I've been using Sylvania and I'm ready for a change.

Also, is bulb grease necessary for the low beams? They are enclosed with the sealed cap, so I haven't used it. I'm trying to figure out if I'm a part of the issue with the headlights not lasting long. I do wear gloves when swapping the bulbs out, so I'm not getting any oils on the bulb.

Many people think it has to do with the auto headlights on our cars. My Sylvania issue was on my previously owned Toyota Highlander. I have never had a problem with bulbs on my Legacy, only changed 1 bulb in 50k miles, and I always use the auto headlights. I did have the auto headlight sensor issue, but that hasn't been a problem since I had the TSB done.

Thanks guys. My Jeep used Wagners. I'm going to get some Phillips at Pep Boys tonight, and give those a go.

I never saw a TSB for the auto headlight sensor issue in my 2010, but sometimes the lights will come on and off due to it being dark in some areas, in light in others.

Thanks guys. My Jeep used Wagners. I'm going to get some Phillips at Pep Boys tonight, and give those a go.

I never saw a TSB for the auto headlight sensor issue in my 2010, but sometimes the lights will come on and off due to it being dark in some areas, in light in others.

There wouldn't be a TSB. The auto headlight feature adds to the hour usage of the bulbs therefore shortening the lifespan considerably. I think part of the problem is with the H7 bulb itself. Not sure if the element isn't as strong as other bulbs but if you do a search most other brands of cars that also utilize H7's have issues with short bulb lifespan. It's not just a Subaru thing.

I think I've changed headlight bulbs 4 times now in 6 years? The OEM bulbs lasted the longest. The long life Sylvania's I used were pretty meh. Currently using some Philips which have been great. Nothing is worse than having a bulb go out in the middle of winter here and having to take the whole front end of the car off to change a bulb.

I swapped my headlights out yesterday night with Philips ones. I went through the wheel well to do it. It's kind of a pain since you're doing it 'blind', but I think it would be easier than removing the front bumper.

So far, I like the Philips, but I need to restore the headlights to get the most out of them. That's my next project.

I swapped my headlights out yesterday night with Philips ones. I went through the wheel well to do it. It's kind of a pain since you're doing it 'blind', but I think it would be easier than removing the front bumper.

So far, I like the Philips, but I need to restore the headlights to get the most out of them. That's my next project.

People always disagree with me but I feel like that's a great way to break something. I've taken the front end of the car off so many times now that it's not a big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Just replaced mine yesterday with Osrams. Look pretty good so far. The process is definitely a PITA. I opted to follow procedure and remove the front bumper. Clips were easy (only broke one which was crusty under the wheel well).. but I don't really see how that makes it much easier to reach under there to the back of the headlights. My forearms are probably above average but not huge, and I scratched the hell out of them and frustrated myself to the point where I was banging my head on the fender as I was laying down there.

Pretty sure I'm just going to hit the couple extra screws and remove the entire headlight housing next time. I'll opt to take the extra time to align them if I can avoid the feeling of wanting to sell my car and never buy a subaru again.

• 2 months later...

I have a buddy with a 5th Gen who was asking about swapping the headlight bulb. A YouTube search yeilded a video of someone removing the tire to get to it.. (passenger side)

Any tips/ tricks? My guess was remove the whole assembly, but it sounds like the bumper has to come off from reading these posts above..

Thanks in advance,

A 3rd Gen owner ;)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242079

Bumper off yes, quite easy to take off.

You can jack up one front wheel, take off wheel and clips so you cam move the plastic liner out of the way. Still have to get to the headlight, need small hands.

By that time you'll realise pulling the bumper off is easier.

Archived