LegacyGT.com

Child seat recommendation

So, baby #1 is due in 4 months...

We've got two cars, a 2009 LGT and 2008 Impreza 2.5i (both sedans). Anyone have any recommendations on a rear-facing seat that works well in a Legacy or alternatively, seats to avoid?

I can check CR, etc, but was hoping to narrow things down to start.

recaro, duh.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/attachments/f56-hatch-talk-2014/95971d1405091133-my-thunder-grey-f56-cooper-s-the-project-thread-young-sport_ebony-z.jpg

just kidding I don't have kids, so I have no idea. but if I did...

I'm pleased to see the Recaro thrown up in the very first reply. It's not just cool to have your kid in a Recaro, like having your infant who won't be walking for months wearing Air Jordans. I'm going to be a little bit of a dick here (I don't think so, but I've been told I am) and maybe (hopefully not) piss some people off (it's happened when I've been on this subject before). Read up on the Recaro. Compare the testing and R&D they do with that seat to the R&D done by pretty much every other crappy car seat maker in the world who cares more about convenience or fashion than safety, and see if you can still feel comfortable putting your kid in anything else... I hope you can't.

+1 for the Recaro. Its what I have for my daughter. Its a great seat. Fits nice, easy to use/install whether using the LATCH or standard seat belt install. My daughter is comfy in it as well. As stupid as it sounds I have to take a writing class for my Engineering degree, and I choose to write about car seats and how they are made/what ones are better and why bla bla bla. If you dig deep, Recaro really is one of the top highest rated seats out there.

As I'm 6'4" tall I wanted something that'll give our daughter good protection in a rear facing seat in the LGT wagon, but also in our '14 FXT so that when I'm sitting in the front passenger seat with my wife driving there's still enough room in the rear passenger side for her seat.

Of all that we tested, the previous generation Peg Perego SIP 30/30 gave me the most room, followed closely by Chicco Keyfit 30. Everything else wasn't worth looking at.

Peg has a new 30/30 bucket seat (introduced in June, a little late for us), it's a little bigger than the older one and seems to be rated a little better too.

Fortunately for you 'muricans, the Recaro seats aren't CSA certified up here in Canadaland... they look like awesome seats.

PS: buy this book - http://books.google.ca/books/about/Baby_Bargains.html?id=Fqld0r-ewuEC&redir_esc=y

Years ahead of Consumer Reports.

I have a Recaro that is available in black... Just need to reattach the harness and it's ready to go. Still like new with one small patch of the velvet pulled away from some stickey crap "kids". I keep forgetting it's there after cleaning up the garage and stowed it on a high shelf.

PM me if interested.

It was one of the best seats we had for my daughter. The bolster was perfect for those ride naps.

But this is more a Child seat than an infant seat... Not rear facing.

Edited by kzr750r1

• 2 weeks later...

Of all that we tested, the previous generation Peg Perego SIP 30/30 gave me the most room, followed closely by Chicco Keyfit 30. Everything else wasn't worth looking at.

Peg has a new 30/30 bucket seat (introduced in June, a little late for us), it's a little bigger than the older one and seems to be rated a little better too.

I definitely should have read this post more carefully.

I went and tested a Britax B-Safe, since they get good reviews and liked the stroller. The B-Safe was a straight no go though. It only fit with the seat 100% forward.

Tried a Keyfit 30, and it looks like we'll probably go that route. If I can find a Perego I may check it out also.

You need an infant car seat not a rear facing. They all work equally well the infant car seats and despite what they state are not more or less safe.

We have three kids(8,6,6 months) and my wife got our 05 LGT 5mt wagon as a mommy mobile brand new with our first 8 months pregnant by herself with no regrets.

I would go to a decent baby store that has all the different strollers and car seats that attach in. Make sure the stroller you pick stows into your trunks(take the smaller trunk/opening). They also let you put the seat in typically to see how it will work. I am not talking a chain. Reviews are good to read but you(couple) really need to test drive the stuff.

That being said we jamb three across in our Legacy GT wagon in a pinch now. We were gifted a Graco snug ride and use it with some sort of $600(nuts!) stroller. I will state the buckles are pretty crappy/hard to use on Graco compared the previous Britax seats we have had.

Congrats and good luck.

Edited by __raj

I used the Chicco Keyfit 30 in my 4th gen Legacy for both of my kids. I chose it because it seemed like the smallest rear facing infant seat based on a lot of reviews on Amazon. It fits pretty snug behind the seats. I always had it installed behind the passenger seat, and it did crunch my wife forward a little bit, but nothing painful (wife is 5'9).

If I had to do it again, I'd use the same exact seat because overall it was very good.

Had our first a month ago on the 19th. Currently have a Graco set good till she's 22lbs...which feels fast approaching.

Didn't really hear the greatest things about the Recaro seats from those who deal with the seats everyday. I plan to look again once we are looking for the next seat.

Subscribed to see what others have had good luck with in the LGT.

• 5 years later...