LegacyGT.com

DRL led replacement

What year?

First, there is no dedicated DRL in these cars.

2005-2007 use the headlights with low voltage as DRLs, which is probably why you're seeing sparking.

2008-2009 use the high beams at low voltage as DRLs.

You need to either: Disable DRL entirely or move DRL to some other lamps (fogs?, LED strip?)

mine is a 05 legacy gt limited wagon.

I wanna put a pair of LED light or halo light as below link but i don't know how can I do it.

I did some research online but those info only teach me how to disable the DRL and that's not what i want........

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPlqUy88weA]2005 Subaru Legacy GT with LED Halos, Switchback Turn Signals, 6k HIDs and Demon Eyes - YouTube[/ame]

mine is a 05 legacy gt limited wagon.

I wanna put a pair of LED light or halo light as below link but i don't know how can I do it.

I did some research online but those info only teach me how to disable the DRL and that's not what i want........

This is a much more involved project than you think.

Here's the summarized list of things you'll want to do:

1) Open the headlights (see clearing headlights)

2) Install halo light kit around the existing projectors

-- This will probably require some projector modification.

3) Disable DRL lights (you should do this anyway)

4) Wire halo light kit directly to 12V (or to fog light if you want a switched option)

There's a few people (not many) who've done what you want. You'll have to find their threads (try searching for angel eyes, halo, etc) and possibly send them a PM.

That's mean i don't need to connect the LED light/ Halo Light to the DRL?

There is no DRL wiring on these cars. The DRL runs the normal headlights at low voltage (~6-8V instead of 12V).

The first step in doing ANY headlight modifications is disabling the DRLs because it will interfere with any ballasts, LED's, etc. The reason you fried your HIDs is that the DRL weren't disabled and the ballasts can't handle low voltage inputs. 2008-2009 use the high beams as DRLs and don't require the disable.

Since you're still asking questions like this, I would recommend that you stop attempting this mod. Pull out your HIDs and go back to normal headlights. You've got a lot of research to do on how to properly wire a non-standard headlight system.

There is no DRL wiring on these cars. The DRL runs the normal headlights at low voltage (~6-8V instead of 12V).

The first step in doing ANY headlight modifications is disabling the DRLs because it will interfere with any ballasts, LED's, etc. The reason you fried your HIDs is that the DRL weren't disabled and the ballasts can't handle low voltage inputs. 2008-2009 use the high beams as DRLs and don't require the disable.

Since you're still asking questions like this, I would recommend that you stop attempting this mod. Pull out your HIDs and go back to normal headlights. You've got a lot of research to do on how to properly wire a non-standard headlight system.

Really appreciate for the details.

I'll spend my long weekend to disable the DRL and change the break pad.

So that's mean i can connect the led to the fog light right?

You could connect the LED to the fog lights to get a switch.

The problem is that the fog lights only come on when the headlights are also on. What you need to do is also the "Independent fog lights" mod. That will get you a switch which is independent of the headlights.

The lighting wiring in these cars is an interconnected mess. Adding new lights isn't usually trivial.

I have done a full HID, DRL disabled, and halo ring install. What I did was wire the halo rings into the parking lights. So I do manually have to switch the parking lights on/off every time I drive, but then I have "DRLs" and HIDs coexisting in sweet lightening harmony. I also put in LED switchbacks so that I didn't have the ugly amber from the turn signals on all the time. As you can see in my profile pic, it came out with a neat effect!

And while RabidWombat is correct in saying you need to research more, I had NO previous experience in any of the stuff and was able to work my way though it, albeit slowly. I really like how it turned out, and I learned a lot. There are some super helpful threads on here if you take the time to search through it. GL!

I also put in LED switchbacks so that I didn't have the ugly amber from the turn signals on all the time. As you can see in my profile pic, it came out with a neat effect!

That's a really good idea. I hadn't thought of using that switch. That would work nicely (other than the risk of leaving them on).

Archived