LegacyGT.com

Buying 3 Subaru cars from the same dealer in Virginia! Should I get a big discount?

vademo0o

Hi everyone-

My family plan to buy 3 new cars from the same dealer. We plan to get 2013 models to get a better discount. We really do not care about resale value because we usually keep our cars around 10 year. We also plan to buy 3 cars from the same dealer to get a sweet discount. I will get Legacy, my wife will get Outback and my brother will get Impreza WRX. I plan to get 25% discount for each car. Is it too much to ask or should I go for a bigger discount?

No. Way. In. Hell. You'll. Get. A. 25%. Discount.

Sorry bud...just ain't gonna happen.

Take or leave my advice, but keep in mind I sold cars for 5 yrs.

Invoice(make them show you the invoice), minus any current incentives, minus any discounts your get through work(I work for CSX Transportation, and get 3% under invoice -$500), AAA, USAA, etc, PLUS, a set discount percentage(25% off retail) on any accessories purchased within the first year or so(everybody likes to add stuff to their cars!) for said vehicles, PLUS a loaner vehicle if said vehicle is to out of service overnight(nobody likes to be without a vehicle).

Do not pay for ANY stain treatment, undercoating, or any other unicorn horn dust fancy crap!!

Do not buy ANY other service plans other than a Certified Subaru Plan...and keep in mind, that is damn near pure profit for the dealer. Whatever they tell you is retail price, offer them half!

Check EVERY bank and credit union BEFORE visiting dealer so you know the financing rates ahead of time!

On a Subaru, that's about as good as you're going to get.

you might actually get around 25% off of MSRP for each vehicle, but MSRP is also kind of ridiculous. That's about the deal I got on my '09 LGT sedan when I bought it in late '09.

I'm sorry...but no, not even close.

The difference between MSRP and Invoice is not anywhere close to 25%.

I'm not talking any current incentives...that would come off AFTER the negotiated price.

Like this:

My 2013 Legacy 3.6R Limited MSRP was $33,975

Invoice was $31,255

That's only an 8% difference.

Now, minus my 3% off invoice, and minus the $500(discount through work buying program), that brought it down to $29,817...which is still only 12% off MSRP.

I also got 0.9%APR for 60mos...which saves HUGE in the term of the loan.

I'll repeat, you'll not get near 25% off MSRP.

• Moderators

MSRP on my '09 LGT was what, $31k? My "out the door" price (what everyone who's not a car salesman gives a crap about) was $25.5k. Take away ~$900 for taxes and another ~$150 or so for licensing and what not and I paid ~$24.5k for the car.

31k - 24.5k = 6.5k. 6.5k / 31k =~21%. So yeah, not 25%, but 21%. Still pretty good though.

And if the guy is buying three cars he should be able to get a better deal than I did. I walked in off the street after letting the dealer know what I was looking for. Maybe the salesman just like me for my body ;)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Subaru adjusts pricing quite frequently. The sticker in my brandy new 05lgt was 27k. I walked out with it for 21k because they moved the model into a new market segment pricing.

Badtraindriver is spot on.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

OK, let me restate my earlier statement.

IF(capitalized for a reason) you find year end models, and IF those models have some rebate incentives, and IF you buy at the end of the month(you will ALWAYS get better deals at the end of the month due to the dealers trying to make numbers), you MIGHT get close...but realistically, 25% seems like a high bar to reach for.

I wish you the best of luck, though...and if I can help in any way, feel free to PM me!

MSRP on my '09 LGT was what, $31k? My "out the door" price (what everyone who's not a car salesman gives a crap about) was $25.5k. Take away ~$900 for taxes and another ~$150 or so for licensing and what not and I paid ~$24.5k for the car.

31k - 24.5k = 6.5k. 6.5k / 31k =~21%. So yeah, not 25%, but 21%. Still pretty good though.

And if the guy is buying three cars he should be able to get a better deal than I did. I walked in off the street after letting the dealer know what I was looking for. Maybe the salesman just like me for my body ;)

You bought your car late 2009 as a leftover with the new generation model already and at really bad time in the economy when the whole auto industry was struggling to sell new cars. I doubt the thread starter will get the same deal.

Subaru isn't offering the dealer incentives like 2009 and the dealer cost just doesn't have that much markup. I don't know about your area but most dealers in my area (northeast) don't have many 2013 leftovers. Subaru has selling well this year, so they don't have a lot of inventory. I am sure you will get a better deal than just buying one car though.

You bought your car late 2009 as a leftover with the new generation model already and at really bad time in the economy when the whole auto industry was struggling to sell new cars. I doubt the thread starter will get the same deal.

Subaru isn't offering the dealer incentives like 2009 and the dealer cost just doesn't have that much markup. I don't know about your area but most dealers in my area (northeast) don't have many 2013 leftovers. Subaru has selling well this year, so they don't have a lot of inventory. I am sure you will get a better deal than just buying one car though.

This, precisely.

I mean hell, I bought my 2008 STi in January of 2009 when Subaru had HUGE rebates plus 0% APR. I got $7200 off the sticker, and free financing. Kept it for a year and 11k miles, and sold it for I bought it for. But that's not a representation of a typical buying situation.

Maybe if we were talking Ford trucks...

Thanks a lot for the responses. It will be our first time purchasing brand new cars so I am pretty new to concept. The only reason I aim 25% because of the other VW dealer. I visited Tysons Subaru and they share the same space with VW. So we also checked several VW and the sales manager really got excited when we mentioned that we plan to get 3 brand new cars. VW is willing to give 25% discount for each car and I think I can get a little bit better deal if I try harder. However, we really love Subaru and always wanted to be Subaru family. We finally can afford it and trying to get the best deal. We will contact with them again this Saturday and will get their first offer. The best part we are not in a rush and can wait until we get a sweet deal. It seems like it will be better to get it end of the month. However, is it better to get one of the Subarus they have in the store or order online? Does it make a price difference? They have 3 of the cars we want in the store right now.

At 25% off MSRP, I just don't think anyone is possibly making any money on mid-priced sedans / wagons. 25% is enormous considering the small profit margins of the manufacturers and the dealers.

Really though, I hope this works out for you. It will be a crazy deal.

We visited the Subaru dealer today. Unfortunately, we did not purchase and decided to wait until end of this month. After a long negotiation the dealer offered 17% discount for each car. So final output was like this

2013 Impreza WRX Limited 5-door MSRP $30,065.0 Discount $5,111.1 Final Deal $24,954.0

2013 Outback 2.5i Limited MSRP $33,828.0 Discount $5,750.8 Final Deal $28,077.2

2013 Legacy 2.5i Limited MSRP $29,935.0 Discount $5,089.0 Final Deal $24,846.1

So we are saving average of $5,000 for each vehicle. I think it is a good deal but it will be better. They told us that it is their best offer and we will not be able to find anything like this. We will also contact with other dealers and will see what they will offer. Our goal is to get average $7,000 discount for each car.

We visited the Subaru dealer today. Unfortunately, we did not purchase and decided to wait until end of this month. After a long negotiation the dealer offered 17% discount for each car. So final output was like this

2013 Impreza WRX Limited 5-door MSRP $30,065.0 Discount $5,111.1 Final Deal $24,954.0

2013 Outback 2.5i Limited MSRP $33,828.0 Discount $5,750.8 Final Deal $28,077.2

2013 Legacy 2.5i Limited MSRP $29,935.0 Discount $5,089.0 Final Deal $24,846.1

So we are saving average of $5,000 for each vehicle. I think it is a good deal but it will be better. They told us that it is their best offer and we will not be able to find anything like this. We will also contact with other dealers and will see what they will offer. Our goal is to get average $7,000 discount for each car.

That's a pretty good deal for the way subaru's are selling right now. If they are the cars you want, jump on it. How the hell did an outback ltd become a $34k sticker price car???? guess I haven't looked at new cars in while.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

That's a pretty good deal for the way subaru's are selling right now. If they are the cars you want, jump on it. How the hell did an outback ltd become a $34k sticker price car???? guess I haven't looked at new cars in while.

The one she liked is almost fully loaded with everything. It is the reason why sticker price is pretty high. It is not her favorite color but I really like the blue so hopefully she will decide to get it. Yes, they are selling pretty well but they are still struggling to sell fully loaded ones. They are little bit pricey but I think they worth!

best way to get 25% off is to walk in with a briefcase of cash. I love to freak show the dealers go about the cash deal. they're never ready for it. Back in 1990, a friend and myself walked into a Mercedes dealer and bought 2 E300's. 20% off the out the door price. Both of us had cash in envelopes. It is the only I buy cars, and I have a few cars. I am also related (cousin) who owns 8 new car dealerships including subaru and bmw, 2 of my favorite brands

Cool story bro. 3-4k off invoice makes zero sense to a Subaru dealer right now who can just wait for another buyer to show up shortly. It _might_ be doable at the end of the month AND quarter, when a dealer is about to reach another step of a steep manufacturer's step-incentive program. If the dealer is about the hit a trigger that gives him a discount of 1/4 of a percentage point on _ALL_ cars he sold last month he could sell you a car way below cost.

However, you have to literally be the last person to buy from them in a given month_and_quarter, and also some other sales must have just fallen through a few seconds ago. Otherwise a sweet deal on a car that takes them over the trigger is gonna go to manager's daughter's dog, not you.

Archived