LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

Got mine installed a while back. Took 2-3 hours and was pretty straight forward except for the armrest clips! Ended up pulling *back* and up and (memory is a little fuzzy here) disconnecting the clips from the wrong (car body, not armrest) side! Ended up getting one out but broke the other. Seems to hold ok with just the 1.

I picked a spot in the armrest cubby (next to the 12V) to mount a panel mount female jack. Drilled from above instead of underneath, and ended up having to enlarge the hole a little too much just to get the back side of the jack to end up flush with the underside of the cubby. It looks a little crappy if you shine a flashlight in the cubby and look closely, and it's a little looser than I'd like, but otherwise it's fine!

I connected the female aux in jack to GLI which was plugged into jazzy.

Then I went to get the ipod to check it out and... dead ipod battery:icon_mad: . I had planned to use a dock-to-male audio cable and just recharge the ipod at home. Instead, I today finally got a car charger to plug into the doc port (to power the ipod) and a short m-to-m audio cable from the ipod headphone jack to the my new female aux in. Dropped in my blank cd, pressed play on the ipod and... Success!

Thanks Jazzy! My 2 hour car trip today is going to be great!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Installed mine yesterday, right before a long road trip. A friend of mine said it was risky but I had faith.

Everything went well--the directions were great! It is completely concealed and I drilled holes in the bottom of the armrest cubby. The FM ground loop and all of the connections reside in there.

Thanks Jazzy!

I'm having a problem after installing the mod. I am 100% sure this is my fault, not the kits.

If I hit a bump or at high speed all of a sudden the radio will make an awful noise and the panel, including the HVAC will blink out. It does not happen on radio, only when the cd player is selected.

I have tried removing the mod and it still does it so I know that's not the problem

Thanks for the continued good reviews everyone. Glad most installs are still going well. :)

I'm having a problem after installing the mod. I am 100% sure this is my fault, not the kits.

If I hit a bump or at high speed all of a sudden the radio will make an awful noise and the panel, including the HVAC will blink out. It does not happen on radio, only when the cd player is selected.

I have tried removing the mod and it still does it so I know that's not the problem

Describe aweful noise... Is this a noise that comes over the speakers, a mechanical noise inside the CD player, is it a motor/gear noise? Is this a 1CD or 6CD radio? I know at least one person had a problem with their CD player because a long screw was reinstalled in a short screw location, but it prevented the CD player from loading CD's at all...not sure if what you describe could be caused by that or not.

The display blanking out sounds a bit like what a few other members here experienced (without the mod entirely). There is an electrical issue with the radio that can cause it to blank out completely. The only fix I know of for that is a warranty replacement though...

Keep us updated, I'd like to help however I can & the info is always good for other people too in case it was "operator error" ;) ...I've done that enough times in my life too...If only I were done...

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

It's a very loud noise through the speakers.

I have looked at the screws and don't see anything contacting anything but I will double check

One thing that might mean something is I had the ground wire for the subwoofer screwed into the side of the radio. It was under a screw that I didn't realize at the time held an electronic component to the side of the case. There are 2 of these on the right side of the radio. It was loose going back in and I had to use a larger screw.

What I find strange is it only happens when CD is selected. It's fine with the radio, that and the fact it blanks out the HVAC panel. I'm trying to figure out what the relationship could be

This is the 6 cd changer

Was just reading thru my legacy06 manual and leraned that it had a option for an extra CD Changer. The 4-way switch on my audio unit had a label "CHNR" apart from TAPE, CD & BAND. That was, according to my manual, were i would access the extra CD Changer once fitted. Can I fit aftermarket CD changer (MP3 readable). The agency guys don't seem to know much about it. How come no one has mentioned about this?

Was just reading thru my legacy06 manual and leraned that it had a option for an extra CD Changer. The 4-way switch on my audio unit had a label "CHNR" apart from TAPE, CD & BAND. That was, according to my manual, were i would access the extra CD Changer once fitted. Can I fit aftermarket CD changer (MP3 readable). The agency guys don't seem to know much about it. How come no one has mentioned about this?
Are you in the US? I've never heard mention of a Changer option on any of the newer (05+) Subaru's. Mind taking a picture of your radio face and posting it here so we can see what you're referring to?
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Okay, here's what it looks like. I have attached the page on the manual which says that it is an option. Anyone knows how to go about install one and gove the connection to the unit? I live in Dubai so I guess this is an european specification...not sure though.

audio_unit.jpg.8649ce0162d3fbb7c0ff0a94e08fb447.jpg

subru_manual.jpg.9f720f0f9a8e940edddf021b5eefb97e.jpg

So, will i be able to fit an extra CD changer? i guess you'll have to see the connections behind the unit..right? So, can anyone guide me as to how to take the unit out? I would also like to fit better speakers.. the factory speaker suck big time! Could anyone give me the instructions for removing the speakers as well? Pictorial instructions if any available would be great!

Thanks.

Thank you Nathan aka jazzy.

Installed today in an '05 Single CD 2.5i. No problems. I took my time and documented everything. About 4 hours for me. But I wired in my GPS, IPOD and Sirius too.

Your invention is pure magic.

If any single CD folks are considering adding this option, feel free to PM me.

Andrew Macris

Installed my Jazzy today. Works great, I love it.

I initially had some problems though. After installing it my CD player wouldnt accept a cd when I hit load, or when I used the load all function. Frustrated, I unplugged the jazzy and went back to stock and had no problems. SO I tried it again and it worked. Not sure what the problem was, but I am positive that I had the cable in the right orientation. I think maybe part of it wasnt seated all the way in there or something. Anyway, it works now, so I'm happy.

Thanks again!

Go Cardinals!

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you with low volume because you're using a headphone out or your device's line level is lower than usual - someone pointed out this product to me which I think could be a big help, and at $30.95 it's a much better value than some of the $200 pre-amps I've seen mentioned. FYI:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIELD1

Thanks again for the continued good reviews guys. Keep it comin! :)

just installed mine today works MUCH better than FM transmitter. fast delivery, fair price, this is the best i-pod device for our cars. believe me when i say i've tried them all, should have done this first. children listen to your elders. :icon_bigg interior parts/radio very easy to remove/replace. one question when my radio is "on" am/fm and the i-pod is "on" but not running though CD mode i can hear the i-pod in backround along with the station i'm tuned to. when the i-pod is "off" no problem with the radio. i have the complete Pro kit installed is this normal or did i install something wrong? i also am using the Harmon/Kardon I-Drive which i tried both with it and with-out it, same result.

bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I just got mine and installed it in about 30 min last night. Its great, except for the low volume level.

I see the link for the mini amp there and that looks very promising, I'll have to try it out. It wold be nice to offer this as an option on package deal.

Here's another one a little cheaper too.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=1074

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=4930

So if anyone wants a GLI from the pro-setup, I have one available!

one question when my radio is "on" am/fm and the i-pod is "on" but not running though CD mode i can hear the i-pod in backround along with the station i'm tuned to. when the i-pod is "off" no problem with the radio. i have the complete Pro kit installed is this normal or did i install something wrong? i also am using the Harmon/Kardon I-Drive which i tried both with it and with-out it, same result.

bosco

I am running into the same thing. Using the H/k drive+play, if the ipod is playing and I have the stereo on am/fm, I can faintly hear the ipod in the background when there's dead air on the radio. Don't notice the ipod overpowering the radio signal when a song is playing.

I am running into the same thing. Using the H/k drive+play, if the ipod is playing and I have the stereo on am/fm, I can faintly hear the ipod in the background when there's dead air on the radio. Don't notice the ipod overpowering the radio signal when a song is playing.

mine is overpowering the radio with i-pod plugged directly into jazzy or running though the H/K unit so i'm thinking it's not the H/K. anyway all i have to do is shut off the i-pod and the radio sounds fine. just want to know why. bosco :confused:

Stay Stock Stay Happy

mine is overpowering the radio with i-pod plugged directly into jazzy or running though the H/K unit so i'm thinking it's not the H/K. anyway all i have to do is shut off the i-pod and the radio sounds fine. just want to know why. bosco :confused:

I do the same thing, turn the H/K off and listen to the radio. Though I don't listen to the radio all too often.

I'd like to know too :confused: Maybe it's because when the H/K unit is on it is still sending a signal through the input and that signal is stronger than the radio? I'm no electrical/audio genius, so I'm probably completely wrong.

:thumbup: to Jazzy for a great product anyway.

I do the same thing, turn the H/K off and listen to the radio. Though I don't listen to the radio all too often.

I'd like to know too :confused: Maybe it's because when the H/K unit is on it is still sending a signal through the input and that signal is stronger than the radio? I'm no electrical/audio genius, so I'm probably completely wrong.

:thumbup: to Jazzy for a great product anyway.

i tried it with the i-pod direct and then with the H/K, in both cases i need to turn the i-pod "off". it's not the H/K. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Unfortunatley, this is the way the Legacy radio functions. It does not have separate line level inputs for the CD player & radio, or at least where the mod taps in, they're combined, so you'll hear the aux sound source on every function. If you read the FAQ on the first page, it says the same thing. Sorry for the confusion.