Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wanted to keep this thread going for Jazzy... thanx for the quick part and easy, easy mod...

I suck at mods... 2nd time ever taking apart the dash, first was for the cabin air filter (easy as well)... it took 3 hours from start to finish... didn't have any left over screws, no scratches, and now i don't have to get pissed off at the my fm transmitter... thanx again Jazzy and i'll be the first in line once you go public...

I cannot remind everyone enough, empty your changer of all CD's before starting this. Of course I forgot and the thing locked up tight. Had to have the dealer replace it. :(

On the up side, I was able to do it this time in about 70 minutes because I was familiar with it.

The Belkin power doc works great, big difference in sound over using the head phone out on the IPoD.

Well, finally tried this install, but hadn't read the recent stuff on installs with the manual HVAC... Anyway, I'll have to try again, but I'm trying to reinstall the center console and when removing the front, I popped it free of these two clips:

http://www.carlklemmer.com/Photo/problem.jpg

How do I put it back in those things? It looks like the clip is nylon and in 2 parts. Do I have to pry them apart and snap the top part back into the console before reinstalling? Were these clips supposed to stay attached to the console?

Wife not happy I can't get her car back together :)

Well, finally tried this install, but hadn't read the recent stuff on installs with the manual HVAC... Anyway, I'll have to try again, but I'm trying to reinstall the center console and when removing the front, I popped it free of these two clips:

http://www.carlklemmer.com/Photo/problem.jpg

How do I put it back in those things? It looks like the clip is nylon and in 2 parts. Do I have to pry them apart and snap the top part back into the console before reinstalling? Were these clips supposed to stay attached to the console?

Wife not happy I can't get her car back together :)

You should be able to pull that clip out of the hole it's in and attach it to the console again. I had the same problem.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

You should be able to pull that clip out of the hole it's in and attach it to the console again. I had the same problem.

Ah, thanks... this board is great, 24x7 tech support! Not sure what the correct method for removing these suckers is, but prying them out with a screwdriver is a bad idea :icon_mad: . First came out fine, second shattered. In the end, I used pliers to push on the clip from the bottom and popped it out.

Well, I'll try again next weekend. After I got in there and ran up against the HVAC, I also decided I wanted different cables.

FWIW, I didn't need to remove those two difficult clips. With my 5MT, I was able to remove the shifter surround without removing those clips. However, I did remove the bolts in the storage bin and slightly shifted the whole assembly aft a bit, which might have helped.

Yeah, I've got the AT, but it seems to me I could remove the trim around the AT without removing the console - just pop off the parking break boot, get a screwdriver under the trim, and pop it up a bit. Anyone try this?

Yeah, I've got the AT, but it seems to me I could remove the trim around the AT without removing the console - just pop off the parking break boot, get a screwdriver under the trim, and pop it up a bit. Anyone try this?
An allen wrench, or other "L" shaped tool works best...and yes, it's entirely possible. The updated instructions, which I'll upload asap, outline this alternate approach.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Thanks sfsubie for figuring out the install for those of us with the manual HVAC. And the picture helps a lot.

Jazzy, if I decide to go back in I think I should be able to do it with this new info. But I'm reluctant I must say, since this is mostly my wife's car (during the week) and she has said she doesn't care and frankly thinks I'm crazy for spending the time on this. I was lucky to find the time to open it up once -- I might be done with this one. I'll let you know if I ever get around to trying it again.

Plan for convincing wife that her car needs Jazzy:

- Buy iPod and FM modulator

- Make a playlist of all her favorite songs. Buy CDs or iTunes to fill the gaps in your collection. Remember, it's *her* favorite songs (both of yours is OK too, but not *your* favorite songs)

- Burn a CD of her playlist.

- Take her on a road trip and play her songs from the iPod over FM. Highlight the virtues of commercial-free music. Show the headache of FM modulation.

- Give her the CD.

Not only will she finally "get it" - at least my wife did- but she'll dig you for paying attention to something she likes and doing something nice for her.

We already have the XM radio working over wireless FM. She says she can hear what I'm talking about when I asked, "doesn't it sound like it's coming through a tin can with a sock on the end of it?" And I can play commercial FM broadcast music and it's obviously better, and she can hear that. Still she says it's good enough. And she's right when she says that it's partially just because the XM source sucks. It's low bitrate compressed digital music after all.

The improvement with the jazzy board I'm sure will be noticeable and better, but it will never be as good as a CD or even regular analog FM broadcasts. That's just a limitation of satellite radio. Part of becoming an XM (or Sirius) subscriber is deciding that the lack of commercials and improved programming choice is more important than sound quality. I might just need to get over it.

And she's right when she says that it's partially just because the XM source sucks. It's low bitrate compressed digital music after all.
Yea, and have you noticed that different channels have different quality compression & equalization? It drives me crazy sometimes that my fav channel sounds the worst of all of them (48 - Squizz) and the mind-numbing ones like top 20 sound excellent.

Anyway, a small update: I'm going to try adding a bit more convenience to this install for awhile (we'll see if I can keep inventory satisfactorily) and I've ordered 20 GLI's from Crutchfield, the 1/8" stereo jack variety, and purchased some gold plated patch cords. Once the GLI's get here, my plan is to sell 3 different "kits"...

1) The Base Kit - the same thing I've been selling - $45

2) The Install Kit - the base kit, plus a 6' gold plated 1/8" to 1/8" patch cable - $55

3) The Pro Kit - the install kit, plus the PAL 1/8" Ground Loop Interrupt - $80

All prices include 2-day USPS Priority shipping. Thoughts? I'd rather not use kits, but since I've been too busy to whip up a website, "Buy Now" links is the best I can come up with. Once I get the GLI's, I'll add links to those kits and if someone has a "custom" kit they'd like, they can PM me and I'll send them an invoice.

I also updated the instructions to include a few more tips and detail. The PDF version is also now in color and much, much smaller than before (different compression). I would have added info on precisely how to disconnect the plugs, etc, but honestly couldn't think of a good way to explain it, so that will be left to your own devices for now.

Oh yea, and one more small tidbit of info...someone took apart their WRX 6-CD radio and it looks like it is the same CD module. 14 pin ribbon cable too... They even verified that the same three pins match (for the CD audio signal). So...there's a chance this board may work as is with WRX radios too... I need a guinnie pig to find out for sure...

cd-player-top_sm.JPG.b667489d836d4c0973e9dc9ea860bcfc.JPG

radio-board-top_sm.JPG.4f121304760b288f81d0744131569e39.JPG

radio-front_sm.JPG.b6374fea9b95498c2e582531b33356a3.JPG

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Now I know why Crutchfield has the mini GLI on backorder. :)
actually it was on back order before I ordered it...over a week ago...it says it's still on back order, but I just got a shipping confirmation, so I dunno what they're doin...it looks like I may be getting only 1/20 right now...

sounds like an idea to me, the problem, of course, in convincing people that they need the GLI... I mean most guys are going to buy it without thinking they might not need it in order to save $$$ up front. Then they'll run to Radio Shack for what they need and in the mean time you've already bought a bunch ahead of time that you can't get rid of!

You might want to stress the need for a GLI in the FAQ.

I agree. I retract all previous statements about trying to live without a GLI. I ordering the inline GLI from Crutchfield for like $25 shipped and got all my wires tucked away and Sirius mounted to the front of the ashtray. Havn't touched the radio or listened to any CD's (just keeping the silent one spinnin) in over two weeks.

I got this for my wife for Christmas. She was working today, so I dropped her off and spent the afternoon with the OB in the garage. I ran a line out to the center console, then into a Belkin Auto Kit. A few notes for anyone who's thinking about doing this:

Full list of parts needed:

• Jazzy Aux-in thing
  • Radio Shack ground loop isolator
  • Radio Shack 3' 2 x Male RCA-to-mini cable (incl. 6" 2 x female RCA-to-mini cable)
  • Radio Shack female-to-female RCA connector 2-pack

I ran the 3' cable out of the stereo, connected to the female-to-female RCA connectors, to the ground loop isolator, then to the included 6" 2 x female RCA-to-mini cable. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the armrest storage cubby and ran the cable in through there. I also taped the cable to other nearby cables in a few places just to keep things tidy.

Finally: when removing the screws that hold in the stereo, note that there are two recessed screws that you need to remove, and that you don't need to remove the screws all the way at the top. This makes no sense until you remove the wrong screws and can't get the stereo out, but keep it in mind in case you get into that situation.

Thanks again to Jazzy for the great product, especially at such a great price.

Beeter,

given that the Jazzy is wired for 1/8" jacks, I was hoping to avoid unnecessary M/F adaptors.

If I were to use this Crutchfield product (instead of the Radio Shack GLI) am I right in thinking that I could do without the RCA-to-mini adaptors you published in your list? (I understand, of course, that I might need extra cables simply to cover the length of the distance from the Jazzy to wherever I make the final jack pop out)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-g9TZJjfMgxr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=181150&I=127SNI135&search=ground+loop

Thanks, Mason

If I were to use this Crutchfield product (instead of the Radio Shack GLI) am I right in thinking that I could do without the RCA-to-mini adaptors you published in your list?

Thanks, Mason

Yea, exactly. That's why I was trying to stock this GLI, cuz Crutchfield never seems to have them in stock...but I'm still waiting.

Jazzy, I have just caught up with the thread (41 pages! Whew!). I just got my '06 OBW XT w/AT and I am ready to upgrade the audio.

I am ready to buy the ProKit, but I didn't see it as an option under the Paypal link.

Another question about the install: Has anyone attempted the install on a car with the factory navigation system? I am curious if there are any addition complications.

Many thanks, PolarDog