LegacyGT.com

2010 Non Turbo, won't try to crank when cold.

I have been pulling my hair out with this issue for the past week and need ya'lls help! If the temp gets to freezing, or thereabouts, the car will not attempt to start at all. Plenty of battery power but not so much as a click when turning the key. I take another vehicle to work, come home when the temps are higher and it starts right up like nothing was ever wrong.

The closest I could find to this specific issue with the solution online was a guy had almost the identical issue with his forester. Which turned out to be his shifter kind of tricking the car into thinking it was in a gear that wouldn't allow it to start.

https://rajpram.medium.com/2017-subaru-forester-randomly-wont-start-6b724dc85013

So, when I had the issue before thinking maybe it was stuck in the wrong gear, or not actually in park I popped the shifter lock tab like it was going to get towed and put it in neutral and still got nothing when I turned the key.

Now I need to muddy the waters a bit here. I've only had the car a couple of months, and it has an after market, ASTROSTART, remote starter installed. That as far as I can tell works like normal, but it does have a couple kill switches built in. A hood pin switch and a timer, both will not let the car even attempt to turn over which is exactly the symptom I'm having. However, the car won't start with the key or the remote during these circumstances. The first time this happened the car DID start and drove, when I got to my destination and put it in park, it died. Not like a sputtering stall, like it deliberately shut itself off and would not start again for about half an hour. I stopped using the remote start altogether until I have it resolved in case it was somehow prompting the issue, well this morning it wouldn't start with the key but it starts fine as I'm typing this.

If we were to assume that the remote start has nothing to do with this, anyone have an idea of what could cause it? Possibly a bad relay? If so, which one's? I found the gear shifter on ebay and went ahead and ordered it, there's also a brake light switch at the pedal I thought about replacing, but the remote start works with no one in the car, let alone a foot on the brake. The hood pin switch for the remote start I went ahead and ordered thinking it had to be it, but I am not sure it can stop the car from starting with the key in the ignition which is what is happening even when the remote start hasn't been initiated in days. Sorry for the long read, and thanks in advance for the help.