LegacyGT.com

Ruined Front Differential

1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5gt AWD Automatic Trans 200,000 miles

I started hearing a grinding noise coming from the front of the car that matched the speed of the vehicle. I took the drain plug out of the front diff and large metal shavings came out with it. Only about an ounce of diff fluid came out, assuming that's why it exploded....

I found a used front diff for ~$200 from a couple different local salvage yards.

I have been checking out the forum (awesome place!) and realized that you can separate the trans from the diff. So my question is, can I simply swap in the new diff, assuming ratios are correct and it's from the right year? Is it possible the the output shaft from the trans to the diff can be ruined? I am a Jeep guy, so the idea of engine to diff to trans is still a novel concept to me.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide!

• I Donated

The front diff isn't seperate from the transmission like it would be in a Jeep.

Here is your setup :

Front Diff / Trans

Center diff (like transfer case) bolted to back of trans

Rear Diff

If your front diff is toast, you're going to have to replace the whole trans.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Thanks for the quick response

I checked out the factory service manual and it says that it is indeed possible to separate the front differential from the transmission since it's an automatic.

Has anyone successfully swapped front differentials before?

• I Donated
Time / money / effort wise you're probably better off just swapping in a used transmission either way. Why go through the trouble of disassembling the one thats in the car now? Every Subaru transmission I've ever bought used has come as a complete assembly....Just put it in the car, put on axles, drive shaft, linkage, etc...and you're good to go. I can buy auto transmissions locally for less than $300

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

you can do it, but it is tricky to get right. you have to set the pitch??(i don't know what you call it, but is where the ring gear in the diff meets the pinion gear which is mounted on the trans.) if you don't get them to mate correctly you will wear them out pretty quick.

it can be done, the FSM describes how to do it. but it will be a lot quicker to just swap in another used trans. you can find them at http://www.car-part.com .

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I will give in and just replace the whole trans. I have done a couple transmission swaps before, but I had a step by step guide. Is there one floating a

round out there? I have been searching around the forum but haven't had much luck

Archived