LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

First oil change in the wagon in idek how long yesterday, over a year. Never mounted my STi BBS winters this year either, womp womp. Drove the shit out of it yesterday though.

Also installed my madrig blue CF scoop, which doesn't remotely match up with RBP, but still looks amazing. Would be much better blend with ABP, but I'm going to keep it for a bit.

Also, have a great friend and I've discovered her dad is quite an accomplished painter and very good at restoration. He's retired, but takes 1-2 jobs a month. Depending on the bargain I could maybe get...

Well along with all my whiteline parts sitting in my garage, I now have ISC street coilovers on the way lol. I usually run the tein cheap basis ones but went for the custom adjustable 500 ways lol. I have no plans to go low. I just want leveled out and bit less wheel gap.

I'd be curious to see pics, and maybe post them on over at bobistheoilguy with your permission. There's a guy named "capriracer" there and on some other forums that used to be a tire engineer, I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on the cause and such.

I'm much too lazy to figure out how to post pics but will if needed. Here's an IG link with a couple photos.. You can do what you want with them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLr630ysTaN/?igshid=sv3hucip01wu

Thanks, I made a thread in the link below. I feel like they might want to know more info, how many miles were on them and stuff, dot code for how old they were, but I don't want to bug you too much and I know they're probably in the trash anyway. Just me and my bored curiosity, maybe with the way it failed will be easy to identify without extra info.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/wonder-what-caused-this-tread-separation.338098/

Picked up a used Cobb short shifter and shift knob from FB for a REALLY good deal yesterday.

Gonna install that today with some shifter bushings I've had in a box forever, and try to work on my center console refresh.

zf transmission in colorado has been the goto place for 5/6mt rebuilds. Getting all the tools to do it today might be hard, or I didn't look very long. The plate to set the backlash appears to be unobtainable

Not to beat a dead horse, but you can get the plate although from an unlikely source.

Apparently there is a decent sized community of folks that Subi swap their VWs. I thought they just adapted the VW gearbox to the new engine. Looks like they are converting the trans with a new pinion shaft and removing the rear output.

Point being they need to set the pinion depth and sell the plate for about $150. Here is a link.

http://www.subarugears.com/Pricing/Pricing.html

Bearings finally came in. Went to order my bearings, and found that there was a sudden shortage of standard size aftermarket bearings for the EJ. Machine shop got a 100+ day leadtime response from their supplier as well. Managed to track down a set of the King rod bearings I wanted, and a similar set of mains (pmax, without poly coat). Kind of interesting that Amazon stocks aftermarket bearings for a Subaru application in a warehouse in north-central Michigan, but I'm glad they did.

Gotta do some school stuff and then hustle over to the machine shop before they close to drop these off. With any luck, I'll be building up the motor next weekend!

Haven't been active on the forums this winter, but my wagon has just been trucking along, mostly being a mountain resort shuttle. Did an oil change last weekend because I realized it's been over 4k since it's last one... oops.

Looking into an AOS, as I noticed some oil in the intercooler-turbo flange, and intercooler piping when I had it on and off last autocross season. Leaning towards IAG street, as I doubt the Grimmspeed is adequate for even a few autox events a year. Once it gets warmer I also have a catless upppipe to install.

Bearings finally came in. Went to order my bearings, and found that there was a sudden shortage of standard size aftermarket bearings for the EJ. Machine shop got a 100+ day leadtime response from their supplier as well. Managed to track down a set of the King rod bearings I wanted, and a similar set of mains (pmax, without poly coat). Kind of interesting that Amazon stocks aftermarket bearings for a Subaru application in a warehouse in north-central Michigan, but I'm glad they did.

Gotta do some school stuff and then hustle over to the machine shop before they close to drop these off. With any luck, I'll be building up the motor next weekend!

rockauto had a large supply of bearings at christmas. not sure if they do anymore

Thanks, I made a thread in the link below. I feel like they might want to know more info, how many miles were on them and stuff, dot code for how old they were, but I don't want to bug you too much and I know they're probably in the trash anyway. Just me and my bored curiosity, maybe with the way it failed will be easy to identify without extra info.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/wonder-what-caused-this-tread-separation.338098/

yeah no worries. I made an account there but can't comment yet.

I finally bought me an OEM Subwoofer to go under my seat, it arrived today. Will be installing it as soon as i'm done with work. I also have a dashcam I need to install, but that's a tomorrow project. Also tomorrow on the list is tracking down the exhaust leak. super fun. I really hope i don't have to pull the turbo. I hate pulling turbos on these cars. pulling them isn't so bad. it's the re-installation that gets me. that blasted oil return line gets me everytime.

yeah no worries. I made an account there but can't comment yet.

I finally bought me an OEM Subwoofer to go under my seat, it arrived today. Will be installing it as soon as i'm done with work. I also have a dashcam I need to install, but that's a tomorrow project. Also tomorrow on the list is tracking down the exhaust leak. super fun. I really hope i don't have to pull the turbo. I hate pulling turbos on these cars. pulling them isn't so bad. it's the re-installation that gets me. that blasted oil return line gets me everytime.

Hint, its much easier to bolt the turbo to the up pipe. Makes lining up the inlet, oil return and up pipe at the same time.

DSCN4782.thumb.JPG.d2620b29dcef4af937e7a74a13b00397.JPG

I got the bolts from the dealership, they are the same ones that bolt the up pipe support bracket to the block.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Pulled the headlights. Got one side sanded down and re-cleared. Had to leave the house for the day.

Front bumper bash bar thing looks like it’s never been hit, so that’s good.

Hopefully I can get the other light cleaned up so my eyeball melters will do their job a bit more efficiently.

I only managed to break one bolt, so that’s good I guess. I have drill bits, taps and a whole box of 10mm head jap bolts so no worries.

For some reason... after the dealership did the airbag recall my elm obd2 thing won’t connect to the ecu. Loose wires, or did something worse happen?

Hint, its much easier to bolt the turbo to the up pipe. Makes lining up the inlet, oil return and up pipe at the same time.

[ATTACH]290440[/ATTACH]

I got the bolts from the dealership, they are the same ones that bolt the up pipe support bracket to the block.

I've swapped a few turbos in my day on this and on my 05 STI that i've since sold. When you say bold to uppipe, do you mean install turbo adn uppipe together as one? i could see that being much easier dealing with that inlet since if memory serves its' teh uppipe that gets in my way when trying to get the oil tube where it belongs. I will defintely do this if i have to. Still the turbo inlet is a bit of a pain too.

if i do have to remove the turbo, i'm going to pull the intake off because i refuse to fight with my car any more than i need to. I'd rather spend hours taking it apart and putting it back together if it makes the job easier in the long run.

I appreciate your suggestion. i'm not looking forward to crawling around under the car today, but it needs doin'.

I've swapped a few turbos in my day on this and on my 05 STI that i've since sold. When you say bold to uppipe, do you mean install turbo adn uppipe together as one?

Not really. All he's saying is to remove the studs in the top of the up-pipe and use bolts instead to mount the turbo to the up-pipe. I've found it easy enough to just not snug the OEM nuts that hold the turbo down to the up-pipe until everything else is in place, but I can certainly see why bolts would be nicer than studs in that spot.

Yeah looks like the original crank pulley... I may replace it. I didn't mount the intake because I still have a few other things to finish up, plate, install and order and I like the open access with it out for doing that stuff. Also imo the engine is way easier to install without that monstrosity on top of it.

Subframe was blasted and powder coated with most everything else. The arms of the front and rear suspension were mostly replaced with new stuff since it was cheaper to do that then coating old stuff and doing new bushings.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Edited by B-BGTLimited

93e344a54d1d8b6711fc0a908aabd196.jpg

Much better.. the passenger side has since been cleaned up. They were yucky. The passenger side does have some weird crystallization thing going on, so I’ll eventually replace it but for now at least the yellow nasty is gone.

I used the 3-step kit from sylvania. So far it’s better than other kits I’ve used in the past. The clearcoat/UV protective coating was what sold me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by evil03mustang

A live-tuning teaser:

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=8PVEIi_P_3E]MerpMod/aijmod Live Tuning Teaser #2 - YouTube[/ame]

Hoping to have something publicly testable soon. Still quite a bit of work to do to make this as polished as e.g. AccessPort, of course, but there's only so much one can expect for the price of "free" :lol:

A couple things. I installed the Harmon Kardon stereo from '09 models in my '05 aver a year ago. The only janky part is the power for the amp is pulled off of the power to the head unit. There is a fuse in the '05 engine bay fuse box (M/B Fuse 5 / MB-3) that is labeled 'audio amp' on the fuse box cover. Just did some poking and prodding with my DMM, and the fuse goes to a wire (red with black line). From looking at the service manual, that is not listed in the '05 but is in the '09 (for the audio amp only). Later this year when I pull the dash to replace my A/C servos I'll search for where this wire terminates in '05 MY cars. If not used for audio amps its a good source of 12V for random accessories.

-Red- is new to correct my misinformation from my original post when I said it the fuse went no where. Turns out I was wrong

Also some talk earlier by others about making a heat shield for the driver side CV boot, has me inspired. Found these two mounting points to work off of (shinny bolts in the unused mounting holes for reference). Add it to the list of things to do.....at least it will be easier with the engine out

I updated a past post...something wasn't sitting right with me that the fuse was there but 'did nothing'.....turns out I was wrong (happens once every decade). The fuse does run to the exact wire that the 09 service manual says it should. Like I said in the red, I will update where the wire runs.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

A live-tuning teaser:

Hoping to have something publicly testable soon. Still quite a bit of work to do to make this as polished as e.g. AccessPort, of course, but there's only so much one can expect for the price of "free" :lol:

absolutely amazing! Great work!!!

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

[ATTACH]290440[/ATTACH]

Turns out I'm blind. I see the bolts now. For whatever reason my brain didn't process them in the picture. I'll blame it on lack of sleep lately.

I did get my OEM sub installed. I'm not an audio nut, I just needed a little more bass and I got a good deal on the sub. Works great.

93e344a54d1d8b6711fc0a908aabd196.jpg

Much better.. the passenger side has since been cleaned up. They were yucky. The passenger side does have some weird crystallization thing going on, so I’ll eventually replace it but for now at least the yellow nasty is gone.

I used the 3-step kit from sylvania. So far it’s better than other kits I’ve used in the past. The clearcoat/UV protective coating was what sold me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the Sylvania kit as well. Be careful using a pressure washer. I got too close for too long trying to get bugs off and it stripped the UV coating off. I would hand wash at home and let it soak really well (washing at home is not allowed in my city unfortunately).