LegacyGT.com

Vacuum hose routing help

Hi, I just purchased a 98 Legacy outback wagon. It ran like crap so I got it for cheap. I noticed Virtually all of the vacuum hoses were missing. I got them all ran except for these 2. Im pretty sure the smaller one comes from the purge solenoid valve, but what should run to the upperr larger one? ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApnimWD6-ebwgbMAdOQKM3bVcIv_uQ Edited by terrordaktyll

On my 1995 the larger tube you have capped off goes to the center port on the charcoal canister. The smaller one you have open goes through a check value or debris screen or something and then into the other port on the canister.

I don't recommend running with emissions stuff disabled, but you should be able to cap both of those and have healthy engine operation if you are missing your charcoal canister mounted by the corner of the radiator and you can't reasonably get another one. If you still have the canister then I would get the correct size fuel safe tubing and connect it back up the way it belongs. Putting this system back will reduce some pollution and running without it will kill a litter of puppies. Well, maybe not that, but it will pollute some.

This system controls fuel vapor escaping to the air causing pollution, but there would be no reduction in power by having it connected (contrary to some people's opinion that all emissions gear reduces power). The only time emissions gear reduces power is if it is not functioning as designed as in your current vacuum leaks or a stuck open EGR or a clogged CAT.

I took some pics if you need them, but this seems straight forward enough.

Thank you for all your replies! So it turns out, I have one of the models with the evap canister in the rear behind the gas tank. Which just confuses me more since it seems legacies with the rear canister don't even have those 2 ports. I guess I'll leave them plugged and try to find where that extra vacuum line I found should go.

That intake/engine might not be original to the car then, I bought a spare intake once (from a supposedly identical car) and it had those hoses for that canister, so I had to unbolt and swap that vacuum web from under the intake. It's hard to explain but it's literally a network of metal lines and solenoids on the underside of the intake that would need to be swapped.