LegacyGT.com

Finally Test Drove A Legacy GT - NOT IMPRESSED

Ok, I finally got to test drive a Legacy GT...but let me tell you, what a horrible experience with the dealer. ugh. So I'm looking for a LGT Limited 5spd manual.

First, I walk in. He sits us down and starts to talk financing even before I even to to lay eyes on the car! WTF!?

Then, even though the website says they have several 2005/2006 GT's (with 2 manuals) in stock, what a surprise...there are NONE. I'm stuck driving a non-turbo version, with zero options....and even worse, an auto. What a terribly unexciting car. I mean, my g/f's civic has more pep...

So, we take it on an extended drive...when we get back, there is magically a GT sitting on the lot. hmmmm? anyways we get to drive that...

Well, it's still an auto...but it has everything else i'm looking for. I still found the car to be somewhat "less-than-exhilarating"...I mean ZERO power below 3,000 RPM's, but respectable power above. I guess coming from a Supercharged GTP with so much low end punch...I was a little let down. Well, OK, a LOT let down. :(

My current car: ----> http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Accelerate

So, he will call me when he gets a manual to drive (who knows when???)...

So, please, someone tell me a 5 speed is waaaay better than the 5EAT. I mean, it has to be waaaay better for me to understand what all the excitement is about.

Zero low end; and only "OK" pull up top....

I mean, they claim the 5 spd runs a 5.7 0-60; faster than my GTP...

and they claim the auto is a 6.5; same as my GTP....let me tell you...it is NOT the same. Car was pokey and bland.

Any suggestions as to why I was so disappointed?

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear you were dissapointed...The 5EAT is a 6.1-6.4 second car stock. If you plan on modding the car you can get a Base stage II 5EAT to 60 in about 5 seconds flat:) It would cost you about 1,000 to get to a base Stage II.

The 5MT is about .2-.4 seconds quicker to 60;)

You have to remember, you are used to Throttle tip in Torque. As with all Turbocharged cars......you have to wait a little for the power:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I don't understand how anyone wanting a performance car is interested in a turbo motor with an auto transmission. It's just a terrible combination, and highlights all of the weaknesses of a turbo and an automatic, and none of the strengths of either one. I hate automatics, but a turbo automatic, well, I just can't understand buying one if you like a responsive car.

Now, with the manual, you are in control, and can make the car work well. I love my car, but this is my family hauler, and there just are no other good choices for a wagon for less than 50k - I've posted about this in other posts.

Anyway, that's why I have this car. If I didn't need a wagon (can't imagine not . . . ) then I'd have an RX-8, 2002-04 330Ci, maybe maybe a pontiac GTO, or, if I was absolutely desperate, a G35 coupe. I don't like sedans :D Oh, I don't do front drive, either :D

If you're sedan shopping, you can't do better for the price range than the GT limited, but if you can spend 10k more, well, then there are better choices.

Just avoid the new A4 - it's a fat pig (3900 lb!!!), with a 60/40 weight distribution, and God, who designed that front end??

Your'e right Tantel my 5EAT Is such a piece of *hit and it is definitely not sporty, it just ripped off 0-60 in 4.87 (on the latest G-Tech)

That was done tonight 83 temp / 87% humidity

Aw, come on, I live in a large city, have three manual cars, and drive around all the time. I only eat in the car on the highway, though.

Honestly, I think most of you guys driving an auto should give a manual a try - I really think you will like it better once you get used to it. You have to pay more attention to driving, and after a while it gets more fun to drive.

I didn't mean to preach, sorry. All you guys with auto's are driving what you want, don't take my comments negatively. I'm really biased.

Maybe you guys don't commute enough to prefer an auto. I don't regret getting an auto. In the week and a half I've owned my LGT Lim Wagon, I've put over 1200 miles. My daily commute is 150 miles. It's nice spending 2.5 hours each day not having to row gears.

As for not having power below 3000 rpms, well that's just the nature of having a turbo. When the impellers aren't spinning, it just another 2.5 L naturally aspriated engine. But once the impeller is spooled up...cya. Even with the MT, it's still up to you to keep the rpms up high to keep the impellers spinning.

Like I said, sorry about preaching, didn't mean it that way. Also, i'd take any manual over any automatic any day; even a POS manual car like the CTS :lol: 2.8L - I like the responsiveness over speed. You can drive a fucking hummer and go fast; what's the point? I like the feel and fun factor of the manual; it's not about making rapid progress - that's fun, but it's different.

Sorry if I insulted you; didn't mean to.

Your'e right Tantel my 5EAT Is such a piece of *hit and it is definitely not sporty, it just ripped off 0-60 in 4.87 (on the latest G-Tech)

That was done tonight 83 temp / 87% humidity

Sounds like you're looking for something more dramatic. Good cars can feel boring. One wheel drive makes for lots of dramatic wheelspin and smoke. Low-end torque feels good in stop 'n go and stoplight drags. Buy what's right for you. I'm thinking GTO would impress.

See, this is where I'm different (should have said this first). I would feel exaclty the opposite - that's 2.5 hrs a day IN ORDER TO row the gears. You're right, to each his own; I loved living in upstate NY, rowing gears over all those back roads. Actually I don't like driving in albuquerque at all - almost all the roads are straight.

It is really funny, though, how many people want to race us in our miata, whether me or my wife is driving - wft? This is not a real fast car!! :lol:

Anyway, again, I am weird and I said it wrong above - I love to row the gears even in stop&go traffic in NY or Boston - I have never once felt like I would like to have an automatic. My first car (73 charger) had an auto, and never again until im really really old :D

Maybe you guys don't commute enough to prefer an auto. I don't regret getting an auto. In the week and a half I've owned my LGT Lim Wagon, I've put over 1200 miles. My daily commute is 150 miles. It's nice spending 2.5 hours each day not having to row gears.

As for not having power below 3000 rpms, well that's just the nature of having a turbo. When the impellers aren't spinning, it just another 2.5 L naturally aspriated engine. But once the impeller is spooled up...cya. Even with the MT, it's still up to you to keep the rpms up high to keep the impellers spinning.

Not insulted, Just wanted you to know the 5EAT does not kill the performance of the GT. I traded in a 02 S4 Avant MT for the 5EAT & yes there are times I miss shifting. Overall though....I have been very impressed:)

I don't understand how anyone wanting a performance car is interested in a turbo motor with an auto transmission. It's just a terrible combination,

----snipped---

The 5EAT is a slushbox, yes. But I think for certain uses it beats the sh!t out of an MT.

Yes, in a drag race or any other race, OK, lets hand the 2/10ths crown to the MT. On the round tracks its the MT all the way. But for street use it can't be beat in my experience. It beats the heck out of constant rowing, and its a strong bastard to boot. Yeah, the MT is much more 'fun', but that can wear thin quickly in a daily driver.

It is a pretty good slushbox as I have learned. It is extremely responsive to the right foot, is darn good about downshifting, and downshifts further without hesitation. Plant your foot and it will blast right to the redline and shift there time after time after time. Yes it needs some aftermarket tweaking to firm things up a bit, so look out if that happens.

It locks up nicely and predictably, and will hold lockup down to about 1,300 rpms(38mph+-) if allowed to.

On the highway from 75mph with the right pedal pressure it will push ahead like a locotive without downshifting right through 100 mph (I haven't gone higher since I'm not sure I trust the 92A's yet), a nice imitation of a big block.

It doesn't miss any shifts, is fuel-efficient, is utterly reliable, and is spouse-friendly. Its a winner in my book.

While own a Manual LGT, I've test driven an auto and it had plenty of low end. While not quite as quick as a manual, it is certainly not lacking. It's faster then the best sports sedans (and many sports cars) of just a few years ago. I haven't driven a supercharded GTP. I'm sure it's quite torquey with a blown 3.8 V6. FWD cars also feel fast because of the lack of traction and torque steer give the sensation of power. The LGT doesn't have that turbo "hit," more like a seemless swell of power. It is misleading until you look down at the speedo, and see you are going much faster then you though. It's also very quiet, even at WOT. In my old DSM's you could feel when the turbo spooled, and you got that rush of extra accelleration. It felt fast, because it was kind of a suprise for the driver. Kind of like how any car always feels faster from the passenger seat. When I but bigger turbos on my DSMs, they felt slower from the drivers seat, since the turbo spooled more expectedly. But the cars were much faster.

Jason K.

How many miles did the GT have on it? Probably not broken in yet.

My suggestion is to not buy it. That way Legacy's will be more rare in the state of Iowa. :lol:

Seriously though, I test drove a LGT 5 MT. It is differently faster than a 6.5 second car. Plus the car I test drove only had 150 miles on it.

Well, thanks you guys...AWD power, I know what you mean by quiet power....this is the car i'm coming from:

(this is actually my own vid)

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Accelerate

I mean, it's LOUD, obnoxious, tire peeling to 40mph, and oh so torquey.

I guess I have always liked just stepping on the gas, and VROOOM!!! I'm gone.

As for milage, it was the demo car, so it had about 6,000 miles on it. Plenty broken in...

And yes, Melayout, I am looking for a conversion. I saw a 2004 Red GTO on there lot....hmmmm...auto or stick? I dunno...but lots of powa either way... But seriously, I'm looking for a AWD car above all else....

Someone please convert me; how about some vids of your 5MT? Similar to what I did? That'd be cool. www.putfile.com ; free, no registration, 10MB limit... :dm:

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Ok, I finally got to test drive a Legacy GT...but let me tell you, what a horrible experience with the dealer. ugh. So I'm looking for a LGT Limited 5spd manual.

First, I walk in. He sits us down and starts to talk financing even before I even to to lay eyes on the car! WTF!?

Then, even though the website says they have several 2005/2006 GT's (with 2 manuals) in stock, what a surprise...there are NONE. I'm stuck driving a non-turbo version, with zero options....and even worse, an auto. What a terribly unexciting car. I mean, my g/f's civic has more pep...

So, we take it on an extended drive...when we get back, there is magically a GT sitting on the lot. hmmmm? anyways we get to drive that...

Well, it's still an auto...but it has everything else i'm looking for. I still found the car to be somewhat "less-than-exhilarating"...I mean ZERO power below 3,000 RPM's, but respectable power above. I guess coming from a Supercharged GTP with so much low end punch...I was a little let down. Well, OK, a LOT let down. :(

So, he will call me when he gets a manual to drive (who knows when???)...

So, please, someone tell me a 5 speed is waaaay better than the 5EAT. I mean, it has to be waaaay better for me to understand what all the excitement is about.

Zero low end; and only "OK" pull up top....

I mean, they claim the 5 spd runs a 5.7 0-60; faster than my GTP...

and they claim the auto is a 6.5; same as my GTP....let me tell you...it is NOT the same. Car was pokey and bland.

Any suggestions as to why I was so disappointed?

Well three pages later and the original question has become:

MT Owners "..MT good. AT bad..." and "...Me no like AT..."

AT owners "...We're just as good as you are and if you don't agree I'll take my ball home..."

Hey, I've been pretty guilty of this myself over the past few months. But let's get back to the original question.

When I first drove the 5EAT I was VERY dissapointed. Like you wrote, 0-3,000 RPM ...Yawn.... After 3K wumph! (Is that a word?). Still, herky jerky.

The MT has lower ratios and a lower final so the pre boost accelaration is MUCH better than a 5EAT. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED WITH THE MT. Also, try to roll the accelerator as opposed to jumping on it. Works much better with both transmissions.

As far as 0-60 the real difference is about 1 second. Some of the non aggressive auto mags (consumer reports and others) are getting 7 + seconds out of the LGT 5EAT's. C&D had their OBXT 5EAT at 7.1 while Subaru got 5.9 with the MT.

I pulled away easily from an auto LGT last week in first gear.....

DISCLAIMER!!!!

The 5EAT is a fine transmission and, if I drove in stop and go traffic at altitude, I'd buy it...maybe. If at sea level the sleepy H6/5EAT combo would be a better alternative.

Archived