LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

LC 500 :spin: took a short ride in one of them and there are no words. :wub:

I love the Idea of them but their weight is crazy and I'm just not a luxury car guy. they could easily drop 500 lbs and make the thing a toyota and me and nobody else would be all over it. never drove one though I'm sure they are a hoot, that 2UR is sick.

Completely fresh 18g build so maybe I'm just not used to all these new noises but I'm hearing this rattle under boost. Wastegate flutter? Exhaust leak? Rod knock? Doesn't really do it if I just rev with no boost.

It doesn't appear to be knocking under boost although I did see some knock readings show up under low rpm but I'm thinking that's because I just flashed the tune. I wanna say its just the aftermarket wastegate actuator they put on. Maybe someone could tell me if I'm just being paranoid haha.

Edited by MGT

I can't really distinguish it from the other background noise the video, but those aren't characteristics of an exhaust leak. I'd also bet against rod knock or piston noise, just because in boost/out of boost doesn't really affect mechanical clearances like that.

I'd focus more on boost/airflow related hardware, like maybe something in the intercooler, recirc valve, or the actuator like you mentioned. Could also just be something loose flapping around with all that power now...

speak for yourself, there are so many cars on the market with higher power to weight ratios than .09. mustang GT is .12, GT350 .14, supra .11, even the LC500 is .10

Lol, I meant for Subaru to do. I'd still put the 2nd gen brz against any of those cars on a track, I would bet money it's competitive if not the winner at much less $$$$.

The new BRZ is appealing to me. I'm sure I'd want to supercharge it. 0.4*228=319hp which is pretty decent on a car that light.

But I just bought the Crosstrek, so I'm thinking of getting a house next year, then maybe getting married, then maybe a fun car. Who knows.

Understandable, but I want Eyesight.

I guess this is how I know I'm old. My wife's Ascent has all the bells and whistles, makes me feel like I'm in a club with all the flashing lights and beeps when I drive her car. :spin: I really hate the lane centering. Though this gives me more reason to keep my 2010GT running for as long as I can. Dumb car for a dumb driver :lol:

Subaru's eyesight was pretty decent, I just don't like additional beeping lol there may be settings to modify it. The Highlander is much worse of a system. I need to change the lane assist settings to be more mild. I think they are set to maximum correction by default.

You can turn off all the beeps. Honestly, it's mostly the adaptive cruise that I like. It really makes traffic less stressful. With the BRZ, I would think that I'd use that when commuting and turn it off when I get to the fun curvy road.

My Crosstrek certainly doesn't have the fun, fast, and driver engagement factor that my LGT had, but it excels in being the exact opposite. It's a boring appliance that gets me places with little fuss. It's also surprisingly capable off road. X-mode just chugs up hills and slowly crawls down the other side.

My Crosstrek certainly doesn't have the fun, fast, and driver engagement factor that my LGT had, but it excels in being the exact opposite. It's a boring appliance that gets me places with little fuss. It's also surprisingly capable off road. X-mode just chugs up hills and slowly crawls down the other side.

the crosstrek is fun as long as you don't have much grip or an autobox. my friend has a stick one and is obviously not so fast but it may be more fun than my LGT in a nice snowy lot.

• 2 weeks later...

When do y'all replace your tires? Sitting at 5/32nds on 3 and 6/32nds on 1 tire (had it replaced 9k miles after new set installed so I expected slightly more tread on 1).

I know technically the legal limit is 2/32, but just because that's the min doesn't make it right and/or safe for road conditions. Kinda like house building codes.. minimal is best? (cheap). I'm leaning towards 3/32, but am tempted to do sooner at 4/32 due to potential loss in wet road performance.

Am curious what the fellow 5th geners use as rule of thumb.

As an aside to that, the tires I have from tire rack state a 70,000 mile treadlife warranty. Anyone have any luck actually getting a prorate discount on their tires? I'm at just shy of 50k on this set.. so honestly they will probably make it to 70k if going all the way to 2/32, but would like to gain some info for the future on that tire policy based on prior experience.

I usually start making a plan to replacement as I approach 4/32nd and start being more cautious in the rain. When I replace them depends on the season. I would not drive in the winter with 4/32 though. I usually replacement them in the 4/32 range or just under.

Currently, my OB is a little over 5/32, I will drive them thorough this winter and until next fall. I will get new tires next November. It will probably be in the 4/32 range at that point maybe just under.

I had one car with front suspension issues that I working on resolving. The suspension was chewing 1/32nd of tires every 1000 miles. I rebuilt the suspension and thought I fixed it, but it still chewed the tires up. It turned out the be the rack had some play in. When I finally resolved it in the summer, the tires had 3/32nd. I ran them for a few thousand miles to make sure and they were close to 2/32. It wasn't good at all in the rain with any standing water and I had a highway commute at the time.

Been driving back and forth between KC and Pittsburg, KS on the weekends to get the old house painted and ready to be sold. The speed limit for the majority of the trip is 75mph, and the mpg's on the GT drop around 2 from average going that speed.

Been driving back and forth between KC and Pittsburg, KS on the weekends to get the old house painted and ready to be sold. The speed limit for the majority of the trip is 75mph, and the mpg's on the GT drop around 2 from average going that speed.
I see the same thing in both my LGT and the opposite in my Titan. I have mountainous interstate though so the mpg readout can change week-to-week depending on weather/air temp changes. In the Titan I get better a avg @ 75 then I do @ 70/80 or below/above.... So I stick to 75 in the truck and 70 in the LGT, mostly because the interstate limit is 65 mph and the LGT attacts state troopers more then the truck does. Since most cops around here hate Subarus with hood scoops because 90% are driven by "kids" that think 25 mph over is the only way! But to local police it's ok for huge trucks to drive 20+ over.... even though it's 5 x's more dangerous....

• 3 weeks later...