LegacyGT.com

2009 LGT - How do I remove Turbo

I am replacing the oil pipe on the passenger side because of an oil leak and all I have is the 2006 Chilton's guide that I bought when I had a 06 LGT. I ordered a bunch a parts but I am beginning to realize that I am missing some. Also, I would feel more comfortable if I could hear from someone who had done this already so I eliminate as many surprises on 'wrench day'.

So:

1 - How do I remove the Turbo? The chilton's guide mentions removing the center exhaust pipe. I purchased gaskets for the turbo to up and rturbo to down pipes, but none for the center pipe. I was hoping to disconnect the turbo and puling it out? Any suggestions or how-to's you can point me to?

2 - How is coolant supplied and returned from the turbo? I purchased the 2-piece hard pipe and the 6 banjo gaskets for the oil supply, but nothing for the water supply to the turbo. The chilton's guide shows 2 banjo fittings that provide coolant to the turbo. The parts breakdown from the dealer shows a pipe with hose clamps for water (although I don't know if that is supply or return).

3 - Will I be able to replace the pipe without removing the intake manifold?

4 - Oiling the turbo before startup. I was thinking of pulling the coils off the plugs and cranking for 30 seconds or so. Anyone have a better suggestion?

I am an 'above-average' wrench, so the complexity is not worrying me. I just hate to discover I need more gaskets and parts during the job. This will tie the car up for another week or so.

Any help and advise is appreciated.

I am replacing the oil pipe on the passenger side because of an oil leak and all I have is the 2006 Chilton's guide that I bought when I had a 06 LGT. I ordered a bunch a parts but I am beginning to realize that I am missing some. Also, I would feel more comfortable if I could hear from someone who had done this already so I eliminate as many surprises on 'wrench day'.

So:

1 - How do I remove the Turbo? The chilton's guide mentions removing the center exhaust pipe. I purchased gaskets for the turbo to up and rturbo to down pipes, but none for the center pipe. I was hoping to disconnect the turbo and puling it out? Any suggestions or how-to's you can point me to?

2 - How is coolant supplied and returned from the turbo? I purchased the 2-piece hard pipe and the 6 banjo gaskets for the oil supply, but nothing for the water supply to the turbo. The chilton's guide shows 2 banjo fittings that provide coolant to the turbo. The parts breakdown from the dealer shows a pipe with hose clamps for water (although I don't know if that is supply or return).

3 - Will I be able to replace the pipe without removing the intake manifold?

4 - Oiling the turbo before startup. I was thinking of pulling the coils off the plugs and cranking for 30 seconds or so. Anyone have a better suggestion?

I am an 'above-average' wrench, so the complexity is not worrying me. I just hate to discover I need more gaskets and parts during the job. This will tie the car up for another week or so.

Any help and advise is appreciated.

I think some where around post 44 you'll find pictures of the turbo install on my engine stand. I reused the old gaskets.

I did prime the turbo with oil from a oil can, I just started the new engine to give it oil, just like the factory does.

I'll pm some vacation pictures that will help you out.

Max

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I also found out the replacing the studs in the up pipe with bolts makes lining up the turbo with the inlet tube and oil return tube at the same time, a piece of cake.

It's all there in my thread.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

You should also replace your catted up pipe with a catless one and cut a bolt with washer to plug the egt probe bung.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4783.jpg

You can buy a 2.2k ohm resistor from Radio Shack and put one in the egt connector to cancell the CEL.

Oh you don't need to remove the mid pipe, just the down pipe.

Just so have the terminology straight....'Down pipe' is the turbine outlet and 'Up pipe' is manifold to turbine inlet. So I will need the 5-bolt gasket for the turbo and the gasket for the bottom of the down pipe as well.

I have nothing for the water supply, although it looks like I can loosen the hose clamps and leave the banjo connections untouched. I'll probably get the banjo gaskets, but in case I can't do you think I can get away with leaving the water connections intact?

Thanks

Yes, DP is the outlet, UP is what feeds the turbo.

I reused my old metal gaskets.

The hoses should come off after you give them a little twist back and fourth.

Try and get new bolts to replace the studs in the up.

Use anti-seize compound.

to remove the turbo you need to d/c the oil feed line, and both feed/drain coolant lines. no way around it. you'll likely spill a good amount of coolant, trick is to stick a sharpie in the hoses to plug them off as quick as possible. go to the dealer and ask for up-pipe to turbo gasket(triangle shaped), and downpipe to turbo gasket(square)

Archived