LegacyGT.com

60k scheduled maintenance?

I have a 15’ Legacy 3.6r.

Is the 60k mile service worth the cost or is it a waste of money? The dealer here wants over $900 to do it.

60,000 Mile Subaru Recommended Service

Perform at 60,000 miles:

Replace engine oil, filter and drain plug washer

Inspect and adjust all drive belts to factory specifications

Inspect and ensure cooling fan is operating within factory specifications

Replace transmission fluid with Subaru High Performance Fluid, if applicable

Check to ensure air conditioning and heating systems are operating within factory specifications

Rotate tires, inspect tread wear and check and adjust tire pressure as needed

Perform brake system inspection pads and/or drums, lines, hoses and fluid

Inspect suspension system and steering components to ensure factory specifications

Service battery, clean terminals, install anti-corrosion pads and check battery condition

Inspect wiper blades and linkage operation

Lubricate all door, trunk and hood latches and hinges if needed

Inspect exhaust system and heat shields

Replace front and rear differential fluid

Inspect radiator and cooling system

Replace engine coolant and test protection levels, if applicable

Adjust emergency brake to within factory specifications as needed

Replace air filter element

Inspect steering operation, tie rod ends and steering rack guides per factory specifications

Inspect all engine and transmission mounts

Inspect and adjust all fluid levels as needed

Check all interior and exterior lighting operation

Replace brake fluid

Replace spark plugs

IMO, $900 is grossly overpriced ... and the list you posted includes a lot of things that you don't actually need. Refer to the maintenance schedule published by Subaru in your Warranty & Maintenance Guide; anything beyond that is totally unnecessary (and is almost pure profit for the dealer). FWIW, most dealers and independent shops will perform a "multi-point inspection" at little or no charge.

2015_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Save your money and do it yourself. Last time I was at Ram they tried to charge me $1500 for a 65k service to turn off my 65k service dash light. 65k service for a 2015 Cummins is fluids/tire rotation/chassis lube/brake and belt inspection and PCV filter. They were trying to perform a service applicable thru model year 2012. When I confronted the service manager he said "you can do the service on your truck, it won't hurt anything and I recommend it to everyone" I said you can put a new motor in it, it won't hurt anything, and you can recommend it to anyone, Give me my keys. How many owners has he conned into additional service work?

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

I have a 15’ Legacy 3.6r.

Is the 60k mile service worth the cost or is it a waste of money? The dealer here wants over $900 to do it.

60,000 Mile Subaru Recommended Service

Perform at 60,000 miles:

Replace engine oil, filter and drain plug washer

Inspect and adjust all drive belts to factory specifications

Inspect and ensure cooling fan is operating within factory specifications

Check to ensure air conditioning and heating systems are operating within factory specifications

Rotate tires, inspect tread wear and check and adjust tire pressure as needed

Perform brake system inspection pads and/or drums, lines, hoses and fluid

Inspect suspension system and steering components to ensure factory specifications

Service battery, clean terminals, install anti-corrosion pads and check battery condition

Inspect wiper blades and linkage operation

Lubricate all door, trunk and hood latches and hinges if needed

Inspect exhaust system and heat shields

Replace front and rear differential fluid

Inspect radiator and cooling system

Replace engine coolant and test protection levels, if applicable

Adjust emergency brake to within factory specifications as needed

Replace air filter element

Inspect steering operation, tie rod ends and steering rack guides per factory specifications

Inspect all engine and transmission mounts

Inspect and adjust all fluid levels as needed

Check all interior and exterior lighting operation

Replace brake fluid

Replace spark plugs

Well looking over your List The Spark Plug Change itself is around 600-700 Parts and Labor because they plugs are 15.00 each. I bought a set online and my Dealer wouldn't install them because they didn't come from them..[emoji35] and the amount of time it takes to change the 3.6r plugs because of the Rear Plugs takes time.. So I would say 900.00 is a fair price.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I have a 15’ Legacy 3.6r. Is the 60k mile service worth the cost or is it a waste of money? The dealer here wants over $900 to do it.QUOTE]

I respect those forum members who have the facilities and the know-how to perform their own servicing ... but not everyone has that luxury. I also understand the natural reluctance to go to a dealer for servicing because of the poor reputation of the so called "stealerships."

My suggestion to you if you are not in a position to do the work yourself, and you can't find a proven reputable local private Subaru workshop, is to try not to stress about going to a dealer for recommended servicing.

BUT I WOULD ADD THIS CAVEAT .. not all dealers are created equal ... in my humble opinion some are better than others.

I am fortunate that my local dealer is one of the better ones. During the first year or so of vehicle ownership, I was like you, and I questioned the pricing and the necessity of some of the listed procedures, and I did not have the same confidence that I had with my previously used local mechanic. Then all that changed after one particular service visit. On this occasion there was a different service writer, and he was younger than the others that I had previously encountered, and he changed my perspective on the whole "'dealership experience." This new guy spoke to me as a fellow car owner, not like a prospective revenue source, and he would say things like, " If it was my car I would get this done for sure, but I wouldn't really worry too much about those other things." (I had some great conversations about "lifetime CVT transmission fluid" where he didn't just rattle off the usual Subaru mantra, but offered a different perspective.)

My dealership gives me the choice of choosing this particular service writer every time, and they also try and make sure that the same technician works on my car because he then knows the history of the car.

So long story short ... ask around, look at reviews, and when you are at your local dealership, talk to them and see if you are comfortable with their attitude and answers, then you can make up your mind as to whether you think it is worth passing over your hard earned coin to keep your big financial investment on the road ;)

I'd find out what this means. This service alone costs around $500 for the 3.6 at my dealership. It'd be the difference between this being a good deal and a bad deal. If they'd definitely be changing CVT fluid and doing all the other stuff for $900, go for it. If they aren't replacing CVT fluid, not a very good deal IMO.

wi_legacy2016 makes a good point:

1. Changing the CVT fluid is not "applicable," per Subaru.
  2. There are several different Subaru fluids specified for different CVT models, but there is only one fluid approved for each particular CVT. There is no such thing as a Subaru-approved "High Performance" CVT fluid.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
They were saying they also sometimes do a fuel injection cleaning $189. But I think I will do that at 72k when they replace the fuel filter.. What do you guys think?

Don't waste your money. As long as you're using clean fuel from a dependable supplier, neither is necessary. If in doubt, a supplier who participates in the fuel industry's Top Tier program would be preferred. Subaru itself does not recommend any routine "fuel injection cleaning" service.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

My Dealers is only charging me $399.95 to do the 60k. They were saying they also sometimes do a fuel injection cleaning $189. But I think I will do that at 72k when they replace the fuel filter.. What do you guys think?

I do agree with ammcinnis' reply above ... but I will tell you of my very recent experience. And let me say firstly, that I have learn't to trust 100% the service writer at the dealership that I use.

At my 54 month service ( which was the first time I met this new service writer) I told him that I felt there was an ever so slight "stumble" when idling.

This "stumble" was so slight, that I wasn't totally sure that it could be diagnosed by anyone other than me, being the regular driver. (no trouble codes were showing on my diagnostic tool).

While I was waiting for the service to be completed, the service writer informed me that the technician working on the car had removed the spark plugs and found that one of them was a little discoloured, and that he (the technician) suggested that a fuel injector service was recommended. He said the car was completely normal apart from that.

I got a bit annoyed, and actually said that I felt this was a case of dealership "upselling." To his great credit, the service writer listened quietly to my "annoyance" and then proceeded to talk me through the suggested procedure, and that it was just a suggestion to try and find the supposed "stumble" that I reported.

Bottom line was that I still didn't get the fuel injector service, but at least I came away with a new respect for the honesty of the service writer (who also at the time also discussed CVT information that was not out of the "normal dealership playbook." )

6 months later at my next regular service (60 month) I still thought I felt the mystery stumble, so with the confidence previously established with the service writer, I agreed to get the injector cleaning ... and the fuel filter changed (which was a normal procedure on this particular 125,000 km service).

The result was that I believe the "stumble" has gone.

Again can I say that I agree with ammcinnis' comments, ... and so perhaps in my case, even though I buy "higher quality" fuel ... there is still always a chance that there could have been a "dirt" problem with one fill up.

I realise this may not be relevant to your individual situation. :)