LegacyGT.com

How to Install Steering Wheel Radio Controls

The connectors that I've found are the same as most of the interior wiring harness connectors are sumitomo ts .040". They're great because they work with both sumitomo and yazaki connectors. I used these for wiring the add-in harness from behind steering wheel to the radio. They also work for the mirror harness and many others.

I also found the correct pins for the steering wheel controls (the ones that correctly fit the green connector). I bought these because I didn't want to use super glue to hold them in. It's an easy clip and crimp (with a proper crimper).

Green 5 Pin Socket: JAE IL-AG5-5S-S3C1

Pins for socket: JAE IL-AG5-C1-5000

• 3 weeks later...

I have an '05 LGT wagon 5EAT. I installed a '07 HU. I'm trying to replace the '05 LGT steering wheel with shift buttons,with an '09 steering wheel with 6 button audio SWC on the left and 4 button cruise on the right.

I've modified the 8 pin SWC/cruise plug from the '09 steering wheel to fit the 5 pin and 3 pin plugs in the rotating portion of the roll connector under the air bag in the steering wheel.

I understand that I need to cut and join wires from point A (the car side of the roll connector under the steering column) to point B (the back of the head unit.)

Is their anyone who's done this mod that can describe what color and pin position wires to at point A need to be cut and or joined to point B?

• 7 months later...

Hello Subaru junkies,

I have a question maybe someone here may have some insight. I'm swapping out my 05 steering wheel w/ just cruise control lever, to a 14 STI steering wheel with the cruise on right, mode on the left, along with the hands free blue tooth. The STI wheel also come with the STI airbag. This will be hooked to a pioneer AVH-NEX4500W pioneer radio thru the ASWC-1 module which I'm having autoharnesshouse.com put together. I have also bought the green steering wheel clock spring plug from i-wire. My question is will I have to buy a 14 clock spring/ or roll connector? Or any other plug to get all steering wheel functions to work?

wrxsti14-steeringwheel2.jpg.a2c88fd9a0945bbb341901e400587dab.jpg

951816927_Clockspringplug.PNG.e7a91d4a893f8610206496e9937f434e.PNG

Hello Subaru junkies,

I have a question maybe someone here may have some insight. I'm swapping out my 05 steering wheel w/ just cruise control lever, to a 14 STI steering wheel with the cruise on right, mode on the left, along with the hands free blue tooth. The STI wheel also come with the STI airbag. This will be hooked to a pioneer AVH-NEX4500W pioneer radio thru the ASWC-1 module which I'm having autoharnesshouse.com put together. I have also bought the green steering wheel clock spring plug from i-wire. My question is will I have to buy a 14 clock spring/ or roll connector? Or any other plug to get all steering wheel functions to work?

You don't need a new clock spring.

• 3 weeks later...
I’m having difficulty understanding where the wires go on the radio side. His green goes to purple/white on the radio side, and his red goes to orange/white on the radio side, but his wording had me confused where his green/black and his purple wire end up. Could anyone who’s done this help clarify? Thank you!

Step 10 shows the plug layout at the bottom of the steering wheel column.

On the back of the radio there’s an 8 pin connection and a 14 pin connection.

My 05 LGT is an automatic so my connections were:

From the 8 pin connector, the wire from position 7(orange and white) will connect with position 6 of the plug at the bottom of the steering column. There was not a wire coming from this position so I had to attach one to make this connection. The wire from position 3( violet and white) will connect with position 7 of the plug at the bottom of the steering column.

From the 14 pin connector, the wire from position 1(purple) will connect with position 2 of the plug at the bottom of the steering column. The wire from position 7(black and white) will connect with position 8 of the plug at the bottom of the steering column.

Hope this helps.

Step 10 shows the plug layout at the bottom of the steering wheel column.

On the back of the radio there’s an 8 pin connection and a 14 pin connection.

My 05 LGT is an automatic so my connections were:

From the 8 pin connector, the wire from position 7(orange and white) will connect with position 6 of the plug at the bottom of the steering column. There was not a wire coming from this position so I had to attach one to make this connection. The wire from position 3( violet and white) will connect with position 7 of the plug at the bottom of the steering column.

From the 14 pin connector, the wire from position 1(purple) will connect with position 2 of the plug at the bottom of the steering column. The wire from position 7(black and white) will connect with position 8 of the plug at the bottom of the steering column.

Hope this helps.

So do only 2 wires connect to the 14 pin? I guess that's where I'm confused, because I feel like it reads that you're connecting 4 wires to the 8 pin but only 2 to the 14 pin

Yes, only 2 wires from the 14 pin and 2 wires to the 8 pin are connected to the plug at the bottom of the steering column.

This works for my swap which is described in my post on 9/22/20, post #528 on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...Okay I ran From the 8 pin connector, the wire from position 7(orange and white) will connect with position 6 of the plug at the bottom of the steering column. There was not a wire coming from this position so I did attach one to make this connection. These wires I wired together and connected to the Black/White of the Maestro sw as stated in RPGARAGE video https://youtu.be/RTCNAlCjSsI. The wire from position 3( violet and white) will connect with position 7 of the plug at the bottom of the steering column. I connected these 2 wires to the purple and red of the Maestro sw as stated in the 2nd video link. I programed the sw for a 2014 wrx sti as is what my steering wheel came out of and I have 3 out of 5 items work. The cruise control controls fully work. The volume, up+down work. The change track or station up and down arrows fully work. However the mode button doesn't work and the hand free/answer, hang up, or siri/google buttons don't work or are illuminated like the other steering wheel controls. I notice that there are 2 wires from the hands free bluetooth buttons on a connector in the steering wheel that I hadn't tapped or could find any instructional videos on how to hook up. Does anyone know anything about what I missed or need to do to retain the mode, and hands free bluetooth functions?

The other video I referenced is

Thanks in advanced.

PXL_20210601_111123680.thumb.jpg.deed9afbf4a277e92f5239d21ec3d99c.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just finally wired up my steering wheel controls today. I have an Automatic and for the life of me couldn't find a video. Its super similar to the Manual and with the help of this thread I was able to get it all figured out. So I made a video on how I did mine for my Automatic peeps who need more context. Huge shout out to all the guys who posted schematics and help 15 years ago and helped me get this done.

• 1 year later...
On 6/8/2022 at 3:35 AM, Garrygb said:

If there’s one evergreen job title for software developers that just keeps getting greener, it’s mobile app developer. This IT role usually refers to somebody who can design, build and/or maintain mobile applications for either Apple’s iOS or the Android platform. There are other mobile OS choices – including Mobile Windows and BlackBerry – but they are increasingly dubious and irrelevant https://mlsdev.com/services/business-analysis.

If you hadnt posted this, i wouldve never gotten my steering wheel controls to work. Thanks Garrygb!!