LegacyGT.com

New Massachusetts Inspection process - October 2017

sigmafour

• I Donated Too

Wanted to discuss this and get some thoughts. I have two very well informed sources that say not quite a threat yet but lots changing which will affect modified cars and people who are car enthusiasts. I wonder if my sources or anyone really knows yet quite how bad it could end up. This article may read worse than it will be but lots to think about...

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/13889/massachusetts-car-enthusiasts-fear-new-inspection-program

a different article here about it - not as specific as the one above, just more information on the changes the testing stations have to make.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2017/08/shops_cough_up_for_emissions_requirement

How much do garages make a year on inspections in profit? Because the most outrageous thing there, I think, is that shops are required to drop $5700 on hardware from a company that has a poor track record of inaccurate inspection monitoring.

Fun fact: Oregon has no safety inspection. The only inspection is emissions, which requires a guy to plug into the OBDII port once every two years.

• I Donated Too
well quite - this is the same company involved who gave us the dire rolling road emission testing and I shall never forget the guy's face doing inspections when he nearly launched my long gone now Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX into the wall... pesky AWD vehicles ruined everything.

...Fun fact: Oregon has no safety inspection. The only inspection is emissions, which requires a guy to plug into the OBDII port once every two years...

The Boston metro area has more people than all of Oregon! I think most of Oregon's population is clustered in the Portland and Willamette Valley area, but still.

Oregon average population density = 41 people / sq mi

Massachusetts average population density = 858 people / sq mi

What a stupid bullshit. I hate when idiots throw "technology" on a questionable problem in a moronic way. Just so $$$ can be wasted.

I am all for cracking down on big time polluters or shitboxes driving around - all it would take some cops ordering re-inspections instead of doing bullshit speed enforcement.

• I Donated Too
believe me that might be an option. I will be looking for a house soon... I may consider NH because I am already fairly close to the border so the benefits of not having my hobby persecuted might entice me.

• 2 weeks later...

Found more possible information about this in the top few posts in this link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/massachusetts/comments/6yiy9a/massachusetts_car_enthusiasts_fear_new_inspection/

The guy claims to be an MA inspector, and according to him, not a lot is changing. However, this is the internet after all, he could be a 16 year old from Mumbai for all I know. But its reassuring to me so I'm going to stay optimistic.

• I Donated Too
Apparently - camera enforcement will NOT begin now until Jan 1. Why? Because lowest bidder. Applus weren't that good the first time around and haven't improved, the new equipment isn't working right and there have already been several issues with systems shutting themselves down and not behaving. So for now we don't need to worry much at all...

• 2 weeks later...

This is what happens when you have democrats in charge

Changes to the state's vehicle inspection program will require individual inspection stations to foot the $5,710 bill for new computer equipment, which includes the cameras, wireless equipment, robust tablets that can withstand an auto shop environment, two printers, and anti-fraud technology to make it more difficult to produce counterfeit stickers.
Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Just had inspection done at two places (two cars) this month. Not sure about the permanent cameras, but they used handheld camera to take pics of the front and rear of the car as well as the VIN plate.

• I Donated Too

Yes they take pictures of the front of the car, the back of the car, the VIN and the odo but the bay cameras have been delayed.

If any part of the car fails, they take a picture of that too and ALL pictures are uploaded to the registry and can be recalled and viewed on a traffic stop if needed.

• 1 month later...

The cameras have been rolled out. What BS state of Big Brother. It's like in communist countries - the assumption is people lie and cheat so you implement total control and surveillance measures. How further low will this state/country go?

Anyway, one of the actual consequences is that these places will insist on jacking up your car - most likely mucking or bending something in the process, given shit jacks they tend to have. In the past they would usually skip on that to save time. To get my Elise inspected today, wife had to take the truck and bring my own AC Hydraulic floor jack to the inspection place. Hassle, but at least I got to jack up the car myself.

Your? I don't live in NH :lol:

Don't drive like an idiot and you'll never meet one.

Didn't you live there? Why did you move then?

Besides, who cares...

• 1 month later...

Apparently I was living under the rock for few years: MA implemented 2nd, state run, level of vehicle inspections euphemistically called "Motorist Assistance Center":

https://www.mavehiclecheck.com/motorists-vehiclerepairs/#MACs

You can get flagged during normal inspection and referred there for fine tooth inspection before you can get re-inspected at a normal station. Some googling reveals that many Evo guys were affected - probably even targeted by the state. One of the suspected triggers is change in ROM ID (or is that the ROM ID does not match the car?). This sucks big way, is as bad or worse than in the PR of Kalifornia:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/northeast-region/576375-ma-inspection-fail-refer-mac.html

And this one, reported on an Audi forum, is particularly scary. Apparently forced readiness can be detected if they reset the ECU and see that the certain OBD monitors come back ready too quickly:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/579734-MA-Any-issues-with-state-inspection-if-you-re-car-has-coded-out-emmissions?p=9579681&viewfull=1#post9579681

Hey

It’s been a while! I have had five kids and been forced to drive a Honda Odyssey... whatever blah, blah... the good news: I fought hard and was able to keep my legacy. It has been sitting in a garage for over 3 years. I am now a day away from getting it back on the road. It has been at a local shop specializing in subies getting brought back to operating shape... actually better than the way I left it. But, what the hell is going on with ma inspections? I have just had to bring my lame ass minivan to whatever inspection shop and had no worries...

I need to reregister the car and obviously get it inspected, do I need to do anything special to pass?

The car went to Subaru dealership for recalls and just got a new ecu. As well as airbags and whatever (been so out of the loop). But It is being remarried to my accessport and flashed with basemap for my mods. Am I going to run into problems with inspection from this? Or my modified exhaust? Approximate List of mods

Thanks,

Mark

Archived