LegacyGT.com

Burning rubber smell!! Help!!

Ok... so my gf just got an 05 lgt with around 80k on it. beautfiul car. very clean. i read alot about turbo's going bad. so thats really all i was looking for when we test drove it. now after we drive it we get this little puff of smoke from the driverside of the engine but in the back towards the turbo. and it stinks like burning rubber. not oil. not coolant.

i havent been able to bring the car to work to put it up on a lift yet and its cold outside so im not about to put it on a jack and look. So before i take it in the work and put it on a lift im wondering if anybody has anything for me to check out once i do get it in the shop. I read about the axle boots ripping open and spraying everywhere. so im definitely going to look into that. other than that i have NO idea what would be causing a burning rubber smell. O AND BTW! the dealership just replaced the clutch and im assuming the TOB aswell. thank u all in advance and hope u guys have good news for me.

ALSO! if there is anything i should do or check regardless of this issue please let me know. thanks again.

sorry if this is a repost but i wasnt seeing my last post in the "New Posts" link.

But,,,,,

I would check your belts,I had the exact same experience,indeed after the Subaru repair representative,,,,,I still can't believe that title ,told me 2 of my belts were shot ,had them replaced on Monday.....that smell came back tonight.

Honestly,check the belts..

Point made,,

It also appears you are aware of my recent problems as well.I did forget this other problem,,on my #18,I'm on my 4th battery.

Town motors will see me tomorrow.

Just wanted to say,that smell ,was identical to the one prior to my being told both belts were shot.

You can't make this stuff up!

I've had 9 cars in my life,the only car without a stick was the Datsun 210.a durable piece,it's only problem was body rust.

thank u guys for responding with such helpful responses. ive been reading about the axle boots leaking and it sounds EXACTLY like my gf's car's problem. im just wondering if there are ANY other possibilities that u guys know of.

to answer BURBA88. She has had nothing but standard trans cars and myself aswell. even if she is burning up the clutch, i drove the car yesterday and i didnt burn the clutch. not to mention i know wat a burning clutch smells like and this is literally a smell of burning rubber. basically like she just roasted the tires.

i did that. but i can only see the inner part of the inner axle boot. which IS leaking but its the average leak that an axle will do. nothing like the pictures ive seen of the axle boots ripped open spraying EVERYWHERE! ive been a mechanic for close to 3 years so i know an ok amount of stuff. but like i said, from what i saw from above.. the axle isnt ripped open so idk whats causing the smell unless i just cant see it.

just an update. i finally got her car up on a lift at work and i found a few small issues but i did find one pretty big issue that im close to 100% sure is the reason for the smell. The small problems were basic stuff, like one of the rear sway bar links were bad, here drive belts were pretty shot, her axles were leaking a VERY small amount which IS a leak but it isnt something like what u guys experience. its just a normal wear and tear leak that axels get where they leak small amounts of grease out of the side of the boot.

Anyway. the fairly big issue that the dealer will SURELY be addressing is the leak she has. My brother who was a subaru mechanic and is now a toyota mechanic with me said that the REAR TAIL SHAFT SEAL is leaking. and boy is it leaking. i added a little more than a quart and a half of tranny fluid to her car to get it back up to full. it got that low in the 2 weeks or so we've owned the car. anyway.. its smelling because its leaking ALL over the exhaust so obviously it stinks. im not sure y burning tranny fluid smells so much like burning rubber but thats what i found. i dont know if this is a common problem or if its related to the new clutch the dealer put in but i figured id post up what it was to help people in the future. thank u everybody for ur help and i hope that this one day helps somebody.

Archived