LegacyGT.com

Cobb AP vs Open Source Pros and cons

daluciano83

I'm trying to decide between using Cobb or open source for tuning and need some pros and cons as I'm new to tuning Subarus. I've tuned Honda's on Hondata and Crome, but never have done anything with ignition timing.

My car is an 08 LGT auto. I don't have any mods at the moment and will maybe only do basic breather mods.

If I'm not going to mess with ignition timing is open source even worth doing or would I be better off going with Cobb since they have the "stage" tunes.

I need help justifying the price difference of $675 for Cobb and $180 for tractrix.

Thanks

Or go OS with one of the e-tuners on the forum. That's what I did. I like the option to know all the details and take it on if needed. Cobb is good if you just want plug & play. If you like to tinker more, OS might be for you.

Tinkerer here that went the Cobb route. While I know enough about ECU's and tuning to likely get myself into trouble, I didn't care to squeeze every single little bit out of the little turbo H with just an axle back exhaust. If I were going stage 2 or 3 soon enough.....yes, I would be into OS and working with a reputable tuner to maximize every aspect of the tune. I flashed the 93 octane stage 1 tune and put the AP back in my toolbox. This car is my driver and I am happy, getting around 20 mpg's treating the go pedal nicely with the 5EAT.

FWIW.....find a lightly used Cobb AP3 and save some ching. My $.02

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I'm not overly concerned with tinkering on this car. I kind of just want set it and go. I have my Honda and Hondata to tinker with. It's a $200 engine if it blows and not my daily.

Also, if I do decide I want to tinker I can do the Cobb class for $150 and then be able to edit with their software correct?

Also I can get an AP right for around $300.

I always like to see customers do the cobb with the class for the best of both worlds....Then they can "learn" if they plan to tweek...

The ap works all the time, you plug it in and it works, no drivers to fight, laptop to lug around, etc....plus it has a lot of features that you have to pay extra for if going opensource *IF* its even an option like launch control, no lift to shift, flex fuel, boost by gear etc*....

Just my opinion

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Also I can get an AP right for around $300.

You can find an AP v2 for around $300 or less but Cobb stopped supporting that model is what I hear. A used AP v3 will run you $500+/-, is still supported and will net your money back should you decide to sell it.

Pretty sure you want AP V3 sub003. Make sure though. If you buy used verify somehow that the unit is unmarried and ready to install to your car. Folks usually post a pic of the screen showing ready to install. This can cost you about $150 for Cobb to unlock it for you.....don't want that.

• 1 month later...
Yes, there are specific models of the AP for various years and transmissions. I was just looking at an Ebay auction where a guy is selling one because he bought the wrong one for his car. Unfortunately it's the wrong one for my car, too as it's a good price. Cobb's website will tell you what you need and how to identify the variations.

Yes, there are specific models of the AP for various years and transmissions. I was just looking at an Ebay auction where a guy is selling one because he bought the wrong one for his car. Unfortunately it's the wrong one for my car, too as it's a good price. Cobb's website will tell you what you need and how to identify the variations.

I believe Cobb will reflash an AP to the proper vehicle for you for around $150. Might be worth it if the deal is really good. Check Cobbs website or call them before you buy though as I don’t want to misinform.

• 3 weeks later...

COBB has a grip on the tuning market, a very expensive grip. You want to disable a P0420 code with OS it'll cost you a Tactrix 2.0 cable and 20 mins to set up the software. You want to do that with COBB its $600 (new AP cost) + the additional fee to learn about the full universe of functionality in AccessRaceTuner ~$850 and maybe a software license on top. Then you have a well built, well defined, well supported and generally bug free method to ensure your car is tuned properly. I love OS but the AP is easy and yes you can make OS as easy as the AP with some ingenuity but most owners don't want to deal with all that.

Tuners like COBB and some tuners will deal with you in either standard but COBB has amassed the knowledge to define a lot more than what is available with ECUFlash and RR. Find a used AP to reduce the cost and spend the savings on the class and the higher tier software (unlocked software) to learn just how much power is at your disposal.