LegacyGT.com

Subaru Oil Consumption Lawsuit - Letter from Subaru & Short Block Replacement Advice

My 2010 uses at minimum 1 qt every 800-1000 miles. When I had 55K on it, the dealer told me and put in writing that 1qt/1K miles was acceptable per SoA. This was back in 2012, but I still have the paperwork. Well over 160K miles now and the issue never got better or worse. I always keep 3-4 quarts under the trunk liner in the styrofoam organizer. I absolutely love the old beater none the less, but its frustrating at times. That's the only issue it has, and I found no problem linked to the oil loss for over 100K more miles and counting.....

Hopefully the 2017 I just bought doesn't waste more oil than BP spilled in the Gulf, but time will tell

Edited by Jsmith

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came from a 91 Honda Prelude that burned some much oil that I ran 3 Qts of 10W40 high mileage oil & 1 qt of Lucas Oil. And it still blew blue smoke at every stop light. After 17 years and 200,000 miles, I never had a check engine light or any emissions issues.

Before my short block replacement, the original engine ran great and I really had no issues adding oil every 1000 miles. My concern was actually the long-term effects of the oil burning, like fouled plugs and any/all emissions devices getting fouled and failing. That was the main reason I wanted to replace the engine. (avoiding future issues)

Jsmith,

It's interesting to hear that you have 160K miles and no issues with the oil burning. Good to hear.

My oil consumption problem seems to be fixed. After about a year of hassles getting including having the car "tested" twice by the stealer and being assured that the car doesn't have the problem I actually think the problem is solved. I had the oil changed a couple of months ago and made sure they used 0-20 and that it was filled to the full line. Since then I've gone 5K miles and haven't lost a drop. Think that in my case the rings weren't seated from when I started driving the car.

• 2 years later...
I just completed my oil consumption test and I will be getting a short block replacement in 3 weeks. I have 86,000 miles on my 2013 subaru. Have heard some horror stories about the replacement and I am looking for advice. What is the warranty on the short block? Any recommendations? North Reading Subaru is doing replacement.

Edward,

I believe it's a 1 year warranty on the parts and labor.

As for advice, please look back at my original post, and follow up posts, as I tried to give as much advice as possible.

If you have specific questions, I'm happy to help answer them.

Short block performed at a dealer carries a 36 month 36k mile warranty. Most repairs automatically carry a 12month/12k mile warranty regardless of what it was repaired some bigger items carry a longer warranty.

https://www.evanstonsubaru.com/oem-subaru-parts-warranty.htm

click that link and scroll down to the bottom you will see a heading for a reman shorblock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
If I bought a 2013 Legacy with 100,000 miles on it, and it has not had anything done to the engine for the oil consumption problem, will Subaru honor a third owner if there is a problem?

The lawsuit settlement claimed 8yrs or 100k miles, I wouldn't expect it to be covered. However, if you approach the issue with the right attitude Subaru has been known to extend their courtesy on repairs, but don't expect it will be fully covered. Best thing to do is take it to a local dealer for service and mention the oil consumption.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the ‘13 3.6’s covered by this? The letter doesn’t seem to call the FB 2.5’s out specifically. I bought it from my mother-in-law, so I’m familiar with the car’s service history for the last four years or so. It’s gotten regular oil changes at the dealer. The low oil light has come on right about when she’s due for an oil change — about 5000mi — a couple times in the last couple years and I’ve put not quite a quart in to fill it back up to the top each time. Didn’t seem like excessive consumption, especially after having EJ engined Subarus that loved to leak. I always assumed that the dealer wasn’t quite filling it all the way, especially since they had a promotion where you’d get every other oil change for free from them for the life of the car. I did change the oil and filter about 1500mi ago and it was right at the full mark. I should probably go peek at it before I head off to work tomorrow morning.

I’m at 91k, so I would need to get it checked sooner rather than later so it doesn’t age out.

I just read the actual settlement agreement published by the law firm that did this. They’ve got a very specific table that’s much more useful than what’s on the attached letter.

All the turbo and H6 models are specifically excluded, along with the BRZ. BRZ owners get defective valve springs instead. [emoji2357]

Too bad. While my engine isn’t using an unreasonable amount of oil, it might have been nice to get a fresh short block.

http://www.oilconsumption.settlementclass.com/files/Settlement%20Agreement.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your usage seems pretty normal for the H6. I was having excessive consumption through my PCV valve. I changed it and started going through a quart every 4K miles or so instead of every 2K it felt like. I'm also running full synthetic. If you are and you start to consume too much try semi-synthetic. I'm considering doing 3k interval changes with semi-synthetic Castrol (just crossed 100k on the odo). Probably time to invest in a Fumoto valve because I'll have to change every 2 1/2 months with how I drive.

Your usage seems pretty normal for the H6. I was having excessive consumption through my PCV valve. I changed it and started going through a quart every 4K miles or so instead of every 2K it felt like. I'm also running full synthetic. If you are and you start to consume too much try semi-synthetic. I'm considering doing 3k interval changes with semi-synthetic Castrol (just crossed 100k on the odo). Probably time to invest in a Fumoto valve because I'll have to change every 2 1/2 months with how I drive.

Yeah, it didn’t seem like a lot. Some engines use some oil, some don’t. This isn’t excessive. It is, however, enough where I could get a fresh short block if I was covered by the settlement. I’m not. No worries.

I’ve been considering switching to 5W40 to see if that might help. I like Rotella T6. I used to run that in an old turbocharged Audi and it loved it. Trouble with that stuff is that I guess it’s got lots more of something (zinc?) than your typical gasoline engine oil formulation. If you’re burning any, you run the risk of poisoning your catalyst. Oil’s much cheaper than catalysts, especially at the rate I’m buying it. It didn’t matter with the Audi because it didn’t have a catalyst. Whoops. :-p

There are a few people here who have high mileage, over 150,000 miles with the oil burning issue, adding oil regularly, and they have said they have had no issues with check engine lights or emissions. I think they were staying with 0W20 oil.

I didn't mind checking and adding oil often, but the main reason I went with the short block replacement at 65,000 miles, was to avoid any potential long term issues.

It sounds like that may not be an issue.

Yeah, it didn’t seem like a lot. Some engines use some oil, some don’t. This isn’t excessive. It is, however, enough where I could get a fresh short block if I was covered by the settlement. I’m not. No worries.

I’ve been considering switching to 5W40 to see if that might help. I like Rotella T6. I used to run that in an old turbocharged Audi and it loved it. Trouble with that stuff is that I guess it’s got lots more of something (zinc?) than your typical gasoline engine oil formulation. If you’re burning any, you run the risk of poisoning your catalyst. Oil’s much cheaper than catalysts, especially at the rate I’m buying it. It didn’t matter with the Audi because it didn’t have a catalyst. Whoops. :-p

Motul makes 5W40 for gas engines.

I personally would prefer to have the original motor with the oil consumption your engine has. A lot of parts are being swapped with an engine swap and that is more opportunities for mistakes. My GT had it motor R & R from warranty clutch and I found a few hack and mistakes in wrenching on my car. The prior owner was a mechanic and he clearly never pulled out a torque wrench when doing the suspension work, some bolt were over tighten, some were too loose.

Motul makes 5W40 for gas engines.

I personally would prefer to have the original motor with the oil consumption your engine has. A lot of parts are being swapped with an engine swap and that is more opportunities for mistakes. My GT had it motor R & R from warranty clutch and I found a few hack and mistakes in wrenching on my car. The prior owner was a mechanic and he clearly never pulled out a torque wrench when doing the suspension work, some bolt were over tighten, some were too loose.

You make a good point about that, especially since this is likely one of those repairs that The manufacturer is stingy about when it comes to reimbursement. Warranty repairs, especially complex ones like a short block replacement, run the risk of being rushed since the dealership service department isn’t making a dime on it.

I’ll have to take a look and see what Motul 5W40 goes for. I put Motul gear oil in that Audi and was very impressed with everything about it except what it cost. It was like $17/L.

• 1 year later...
How was this suit settled? Did anyone from here owned a car which was a subject of the issue?

I own a 2013 2.5i Limited and it failed the oil consumption test. The dealership replaced the entire short block on my engine at no charge. I had them do the 60k service at the same time since I was around 58k and the engine was being pulled (didn't have to pay for any of the labor).

If you passed the test they also extended the warranty on the short block to 100K for the affected VIN#s.

But in my case the excessive oil consumption was do to the wrong grade of oil. You must use 0-20 synthetic. The tire store that did my oil change was using 10-20. Can't believe it makes that much of a difference but it does!

The shop argued with me that I was wrong until they looked it up and finally agreed. A lot of shops don't stock 0-20 Syn and have to order it.

I figured it out after passing the Subaru oil usage test twice. But loosing oil like crazy in between after an oil change at my service center. At t he time I was driving 2K miles per month so it didn't take long for the tests.