LegacyGT.com

Just got a new 2020 Legacy. Possible issue for all.

Hi everybody.

About 15 years ago I had a Honda Accord with only 1 way to get into the trunk, and that was from a pull cable by the driver's door. No key to get into the trunk. I never had an issue until the cable snapped, and as a musician I was on my way to a job with a full trunk of equipment and was unable to get in there. Later years in the next generation they went to an electronic opener, AND they added a hidden outside key entrance to the trunk. Dead or Low battery - still open the trunk with a key.

Fast forward to now. I see that the only way into my Legacy trunk is either from the electronic push button on the dashboard, or the button on the remote. If/When the battery dies in the car (it will eventually at the most inopportune time, could be next week if I do something stupid and leave a map light on), the button on the remote and the button in the car because the lock is electronic, won't open the trunk. Of course that's where your battery cables will be in the underneath storage area.

There is a release in the trunk somewhere to open it, provided that you can get to it by folding down the rear seats and crawling into the trunk. It would have been nice for them to add a lock and key entrance. Both practical and could be kind of necessary.

It would be easier to find someone else with battery cables and jumpstart the car than it might be to try and get into the trunk thru the backseat.

Am I the only one who finds this annoying?

That's not something that I would lose any sleep over. In the old days with only a key the trunk latch would fail. The rear seats didn't fold so you had to remove them and then crawl through and unbolt the latch from the lid.

Subaru's position is most likely that 3 years of roadside assistance is included with every vehicle. After that you can still call someone - all roadside emergency services have jumper cables.

Note map lights are supposed to turn off automatically after 20 minutes.

I appreciate the response.

Maybe because it has happened to me before, it hit me that it could be a potential problem when I couldn't find a way to get into the trunk unless it had a key. As far as the 3 years roadside assistance, I wouldn't expect the battery to naturally fail until I am outside of that time frame. I've never had a battery last thru 5 winters, usually failing at the worst time, and when I've been in the middle of nowhere. Now I usually replace the battery at my convenience in advance of the 5th winter, if I make it that far.

Just thought of another option for your scenario: Secure jumper cables to the back of the folding rear seats. Use a bungee cord from the headrest like how the seat back protectors are installed. That way you don't have to open the trunk lid to get to them as well as keeping things out of the way.

or you could drill a hole in the trunk and run a cable from the manual release to a hidden location under the car.

Then again pulling the cable will set off the car alarm and/or disable the car. so getting the hood open to charge the car will be difficult.

Instead of jumper cables, get a jump box. Keep it in the glove box.

You can also open the trunk by pressing the button under the trunk lid, above the license plate. But you need the key fob nearby for that also, so that doesn't change your point.

I've had my 2015 Legacy for 5 years and have never had that issue. Not concerned about it.

I'm the OP. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this thing. There are some good suggestions here as well. If it didn't happen to me previously, I wouldn't have even given it any thought, but it did happen at a really bad time. It only has to happen to you once, and then you may always think about it.

Just like the time I started my 2010 Legacy in the garage, it was especially cold outside, I had to get out of the car, I left it running and when I got out and closed the door, it automatically locked by itself, with the car running. If that had happened anywhere other than my garage, I would have been in trouble, but I went into the house, took my wife's key and opened the car. After that, I NEVER ever left the car running, or left it with valet parkers, without opening the window 3/4 of the way before getting out.

Stuff happens, and while there's really no way to prepare for the unexpected, you can try and figure out in advance some way to make the entire episode a little easier on you if it should happen.

I appreciate the response.

Maybe because it has happened to me before, it hit me that it could be a potential problem when I couldn't find a way to get into the trunk unless it had a key. As far as the 3 years roadside assistance, I wouldn't expect the battery to naturally fail until I am outside of that time frame. I've never had a battery last thru 5 winters, usually failing at the worst time, and when I've been in the middle of nowhere. Now I usually replace the battery at my convenience in advance of the 5th winter, if I make it that far.

Ha! Subaru batteries are the crappiest batteries out there. I had mine replaced in every Subaru I have owned within the firs two years. They always leak and start going weak. on my '17 they replaced it at the last oil change at 30K miles.

YMMV

GL

---

Ha! Subaru batteries are the crappiest batteries out there. I had mine replaced in every Subaru I have owned within the firs two years. They always leak and start going weak. on my '17 they replaced it at the last oil change at 30K miles.

YMMV

GL

Wow. It makes me wonder if they use different brand/model batteries in their cars the way they use different brand tires. I hope you get some good life out of the replacement battery.

It is a little different than the one that came in the car. It’s still a Subaru battery. Check your positive terminal for white corrosion. If you get it it means it is leaking and it should be replaced.
---