LegacyGT.com

A/C idler pulley squeak

Soon after getting my car (2009 2.5i, non-turbo) I determined that the A/C idler pulley was making a squeaking noise. I ordered a Gates replacement from RockAuto and installed it within two weeks of buying the car.

Sometime in the last month it's started squeaking again and is getting worse. With COVID etc I have only driven the car about 3000 miles in that time, so I'm pretty annoyed that it's already failing.

I plan to take advantage of RockAuto's warranty but I'm wondering if anyone has had better luck with a different brand of replacement. Again this one was a Gates (these are the belt people after all!) but I'd try something else.

Any info appreciated.

I'd just replace the bearing. It's easy to press out that one and press in a new one. You can even use a mallet to pop it out and tap a new one in. Once I bought the metal pulley I've just been replacing the bearing (use a quality supplier like NSK or Nachi).

I would not have thought of that, but I would be willing to try it. Do you have a source and/or a part number or sizing info on the correct bearing?
I can look when I get home. Off the top of my head I think it's a 6203 bearing. I'll edit this post later.

I'm kind of weary that the gates idler is the problem. Even with a terrible bearing I feel it would last more than 3,000 miles.

Is it always making the noise? Does it only make it when the a/c pump kicks on? The a/c clutch may be the culprit.

I'm kind of weary that the gates idler is the problem. Even with a terrible bearing I feel it would last more than 3,000 miles.

Is it always making the noise? Does it only make it when the a/c pump kicks on? The a/c clutch may be the culprit.

I'm 99% sure it's the pulley. It does it most of the time, and if I carefully squirt some PB or WD40 on the pulley shaft behind the dust washer, it stops squeaking immediately. It returns after 3-5 minutes of friction and heat drying up the lube. That, and the squeak did go away for several months after I initially replaced the pulley (and I used the same method to determine it that time).

I guess I'll poke around with my stethoscope to be sure, but I'd still love to know the particulars on the bearing when you have a minute to find them.

The pulley is a standard subaru part i believe, and you can get it at any auto parts store, I bought a new pulley and tensioner from advance auto, auto zone, or napa.

Or get subaru part number 73131AC010(steel) or 73131FC000(resin)

Edited by Tehnation