LegacyGT.com

Elegua's Badass BR9 Wagon

saw that he sold it tho, what a shame!

The guy who bought it would disagree ;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thread on 5th LGT serious modification.... after reading from the begining... at least I have some idea on what can be done on my car & up to which point I need to stop....

Thank u so much for sharing this build thread.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
In case anyone is wondering the car is still going strong and people are still asking how we pulled this off.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Nice.

Stock transmission was it?

What power was it at, 400hp?

Sent from my HTC_M10h using Tapatalk

Yes and yes!

Worth noting that was a stock transmission however the tune featured adjustments to the Requested Torque values and calculated torque also. I have a feeling this made a difference in the ability for the 5eat to hold up without slipping.

Not sure if all tuners would be aware of these or bother with them.

Really good to know it will hold 400hp as that's all I'd ever want for mine.

To touch on an older Post in the thread about going manual:

If the 5EAT struggles we will go to the STi full-size 6MT rather than the miniature one. The TCU will throw error codes when the transmission solenoids and sensors vanish. Removing the TCU will cause CANbus errors. Even it's possible to flash a 6MT ROM to the ECU, that doesn't fix the CANbus errors from the BIU, instrument cluster etc., all of which put the ECU into a limp mode.

In other words, if the 5EAT shits the bed, we will have to go to a standalone ECU with CANbus interface, namely a Syvecs unit.

It is possible to flash a manual rom onto the ECU, as I have confirmed on my car. However I do not know how the BIU/cluster would play a part.

Also not sure if flashing a manual rom would let the TCU know it should no longer perform its role haha. Even if you go and disable a bunch of error codes via romraider.

I'd only consider it if I found a complete wrecked manual gen V to use as a donor. And then could upgrade to the Sti 6 speed at a later stage.

Even still, like I mentioned, 400hp is enough.

Edited by moral hazard

Wow, this is impressive on stock transmission.

I have the same car AUS gen 5 , 5EAT and I am always worried about the transmission due to so many people breaking the centre diffs in the 4th GEN 5EATs

Edited by Libacy GT

Worth noting that was a stock transmission however the tune featured adjustments to the Requested Torque values and calculated torque also. I have a feeling this made a difference in the ability for the 5eat to hold up without slipping.

It is possible to flash a manual rom onto the ECU, as I have confirmed on my car. However I do not know how the BIU/cluster would play a part.

Also not sure if flashing a manual rom would let the TCU know it should no longer perform its role haha. Even if you go and disable a bunch of error codes via romraider.

I'd only consider it if I found a complete wrecked manual gen V to use as a donor. And then could upgrade to the Sti 6 speed at a later stage.

Do you have a 5th GEN 5EAT as well?

Adjusting those parameters may help with the slipping but the centre diff has always been the issue with the 4th/5th GEN 5EAT as the 5th GEN has almost all of the same internal components except the valve body.

People have smashed the intermediate shaft, planetary gears, pinion shaft, and needle bearings on Far less power , I know someone who had a fully built 4th GEN 5EAT (Clutches, frictions, steels, Shotpeen , cyro treatment , valve body mod, brass bushing upgrade) and smashed center diff 2 times at only 330hp!

Edited by Libacy GT

Do you have a 5th GEN 5EAT as well?

Yeah got the same car.

Sadly not as many mods on mine, only injectors/fuel (run E85) pump, Sti exhaust cams and Tgv deletes basically.

But I will be test fitting an MGT2259s which appears to be somewhere between a GT25 and GT28 size plus the rest of a 2015 WRX headers and exhaust.

attachment.php?attachmentid=134070&stc=1&d=1458890601

Along with that, going big FMIC.

Yeah got the same car.

Sadly not as many mods on mine, only injectors/fuel (run E85) pump, Sti exhaust cams and Tgv deletes basically.

But I will be test fitting an MGT2259s which appears to be somewhere between a GT25 and GT28 size plus the rest of a 2015 WRX headers and exhaust.

You have a build thread?

Not many of us around with the 5th GEN 5EAT

I have built engine, about to install the hybrid VF54 that Les supplied me and crank it up. Hopefully my transmission behaves itself.

Yeah got the same car.

5EAT here as well! Still on the stock tune but I have an AVO J-pipe and Racer-X TMIC on standby. I need to provide my tuner with logs but I just recently got the ECUFlash software working and still learning how, lol!

You are sock turbo at the moment? How much has the STI exhaust cams helped your build? I read about the stock exhaust cam limitations but I was under the impression the STI cams helped mostly at more extreme HP builds beyond stock VF54?

I was under the impression the STI cams helped mostly at more extreme HP builds beyond stock VF54?

It does appear that with my stock VF54, the Sti cams haven't made much of a difference at all.

Only replaced them because I picked up a set cheap on eBay ($100 for a full set used iirc) while I was doing a headgasket job on the car.

Will get a build thread up after the turbo goes in.

Not even upgraded clutches and steels?

I wonder how the new owner drives. I'm an aggressive driver, don't think it would have lasted this long with me lol

When I owned it I wasn't exactly gentle. A lots of miles were spent on mountain roads chasing fahr_side's built WRX.

Though the car was never tracked, I burned through about 60l of meth, two sets of RE-11As, two sets of brake rotors, 4 sets of Project Mu high-temp pads and ripped 3 sets of strengthened front lower control arm bushings. Launching uphill WOT with 4 passengers and a load of camping or windsurfing gear was a regular occurrence. A lot of people broke their tranny's due to the slow and soft OEM shift settings. I bought a broken one and re-built it as a spare, but never needed it. I later sold it to someone who DID break their transmission.

My STG2 STi just can't compare, nice as it is.

When I owned it I wasn't exactly gentle. A lots of miles were spent on mountain roads chasing fahr_side's built WRX.

Though the car was never tracked, I burned through about 60l of meth, two sets of RE-11As, two sets of brake rotors, 4 sets of Project Mu high-temp pads and ripped 3 sets of strengthened front lower control arm bushings. Launching uphill WOT with 4 passengers and a load of camping or windsurfing gear was a regular occurrence. A lot of people broke their tranny's due to the slow and soft OEM shift settings. I bought a broken one and re-built it as a spare, but never needed it. I later sold it to someone who DID break their transmission.

I would like to see the faces of the people in the car on those WOT uphill launches with a fully loaded car! Sounds like fun!

What would it take to get the STi to compare?

That's very surprising. Good to know the stock transmission is capable of big power.

I wonder if it's mainly to do with the turbo and torque not being too aggressive down low rpm range because like I mentioned the main issue of these 5EAT under these big power builds was the torque being too much for centre diff and parts always breaking.

I'm sure the wagon was not entirely a monster at low rpm was it?

Edited by Libacy GT