LegacyGT.com

2020 Legacy Sedan is making its approach

It's a brand new model, and there's a lot to like about this newest generation Legacy platform. Newest Legacy XT will incorporate the new 2.4T engine, and mark the return of a forced induction motor to the Legacy platform.

Press Release here

Driving Videoe here

Edited by SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not a fan of direct injection so I am hoping Subaru has come up with a plan to mitigate intake valve carbon buildup. with that said, the new Legacy looks very nice and will be looking hard as the outback when it is released...

A lot of MFGs have mitigated the problems of the old/early DI cars. I am not that worried about it. I am more worried about the CVT handling upgrades. We all know anything boosted in a subaru is gonna get an aftermarket and the current CVTs suck for power near 300whp and up

The Ascent gives some hope as if it can tow 5k lbs the CVT with the cooler should be better...question is how much

The cooler in the Ascent is used for engine oil, not the CVTF. Ironically its the same part that was once used as a CVTF cooler in JDM/non-USDM Levorqs GT-Ss, S4s.

In the Ascent, the CVTF cooling config is exactly the same as on a stock USDM WRX, FXT, etc.

Meaning lame cooler near the bell housing and a temp stabilizing circuit through the radiator (CVTF warmer/cooler).

Best plan on attack, depending on the config used on the USDM 7th gen FA24DIT equipped Legacy or future USDM Subaru models using this engine:

1. Purchase a second OE cooler and use it as a thermostatic aux or radiator bypass for CVTF (proper hoses and connectors, ability to monitor CVTF temp at the valve body or pre-cooler would be key)

2. Purchase a Setrab or Hayden cooler and use that instead of the second OE cooler setup.

3. Keep any t00n's peak tq below ~340ftlbf. Keep the avg tq below ~300ftlbf (unless living dangerously).

A lot of MFGs have mitigated the problems of the old/early DI cars. I am not that worried about it. I am more worried about the CVT handling upgrades. We all know anything boosted in a subaru is gonna get an aftermarket and the current CVTs suck for power near 300whp and up

The Ascent gives some hope as if it can tow 5k lbs the CVT with the cooler should be better...question is how much

care to elaborate? unless they are using a hybrid MPFI/DGI system...I do not see how they can mitigate it...outside of bringing your car in every x miles for an intake service...

Yup, FAxxDITs all see carbon build up galore... regardless of catch-cans, AOSs.

Water/meth injection or walnut blasting every 30/60K depending on use.

Too bad the FA24DIT doesnt have the MPFI/DGI setup like the BRZ at at least one extra injector just past the intercooler and ahead of the intake manifold runners...

Bean counters at their best.

The interior looks like another step in the right direction, but still feels like a step behind companies like Kia and Hyundai. I like that they're still pushing new designs, just doesn't feel like they've figured it out yet.

I'm relieved they brought the 2.4T to the Legacy. Now to determine the unlikeliness of obtaining the 2.4T without a sunroof...

I do ponder if they have enough 3.6 engine blocks in storage to last the next decade for engine replacements though... :iam:

I am excited that they are bringing back a turbocharged engine, the interior specially that head unit is very pleasing. I do wish however that Subaru will do a little better job with the exterior styling of the vehicle it seems that from concept versions of the cars they are more appealing to the eye. However we don't purchase these vehicles for eye candy we are Subaru owners for a reason and that's because of the handling and performance.

Yup, FAxxDITs all see carbon build up galore... regardless of catch-cans, AOSs.

Water/meth injection or walnut blasting every 30/60K depending on use.

Too bad the FA24DIT doesnt have the MPFI/DGI setup like the BRZ at at least one extra injector just past the intercooler and ahead of the intake manifold runners...

Bean counters at their best.

I am fairly certain Toyota wasn't willing to share that tech on non-BRZ Subarus. Plus, can you imagine all the Legacy owners complaining about the "chirps" if they were able to use Toyota's DI setup? ;)

I'd like to get a better look at the back end. Maybe they're still working it out and don't want to really show it off yet. Other than that it's a nice looking car. Pretty much like the current model actually. Interior styling isn't completely to my liking but overall ok.

go back and look at older legacy they have a lot of shared parts with Toyota in terms of switches, etc

Sure, but that is a bit different than an engine tech that gives Toyota a competitive advantage when it comes to engine reliability. Toyota might be willing to license it, but Subaru might not be willing to pay what Toyota wants.

I look forward to driving the turbo. I had my 16 Limited 2.5i and I loved the car for its comfort and driving characteristics. I had regretted not getting the 3.6R at times but also appreciated the better MPG's. I'm still not sure how I feel about the exterior styling of this new 2020 model but the chassis updates and interior amenities are very appealing to me and the comfort and drive are more important than looks. We will see what happens once they make it to dealer lots.