LegacyGT.com

Official Interest In COBB Flex-Fuel for the Legacy GT Platform - Please speak up

cryo

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am/would be interested, but after 2 yrs of people waiting I don't see this happening. Why Cobb would even bother with such an old and limited platform is beyond me, but it's likely less than a days worth of coding and repackaging of existing hardware so if they wanted to do it it should be simple enough...

I am/would be interested, but after 2 yrs of people waiting I don't see this happening. Why Cobb would even bother with such an old and limited platform is beyond me, but it's likely less than a days worth of coding and repackaging of existing hardware so if they wanted to do it it should be simple enough...

Cobb is doint it. Ots a few pages back.

I think i have heard of people putting GR STi ecu's in spec b's, having them programmed to match the immobilizer, not positive on this but i think i've seen it done. Maybe that is public knowledge on those special cars, but im not sure

The no availability for the canbus auto cars is very sad :(

If that's true then that seems desperate to get the flex fuel kit working.

Especially since there has been a commercially available alternative for 2 years now.

I have heard of NO ONE swapping ecm's, immobilizers, biu, etc in an attempt to use a supported by Cobb FF kit.

You could most likely make your own kit cheaper.

It is why I've bought an 08 wrx for the full support it gets compared to the lgt. Am still hoping some news come out for the kit by the end of next month. This is probably the last thing cobb releases for the lgt.

Anyways props for the cryotune's website getting a redesign and oddly in of the dyno tune form sections. There was a question "Who is the best Kardashian?" it's gone now but just thought that was funny. Maybe Dave can comment on that lol

haha cpx4656, we are still building on the site daily so it was kind of a joke left there for a day or so to see if anyone caught it (its a default for one of the forms before you edit it on the website builder)

We are making a formal announcement about the website soon.

Either way, back on topic.

The cobb flex fuel kit for the current offerd models is a turn key flex fuel solution that is unmatched in terms of adjust-ability with OEM-like implementation.

Dave

Edited by cryo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I wish ethanol was more widely spread. I only have 2 e85 stations here in town. Gladly I live near 1. But I was reading some comments on e85 saying that people using flex fuel kits need to change between e85 to a full tank of gas every so often to keep the car running healthy, and that it's best to just run 50/50. How true is that ?

I wish ethanol was more widely spread. I only have 2 e85 stations here in town. Gladly I live near 1. But I was reading some comments on e85 saying that people using flex fuel kits need to change between e85 to a full tank of gas every so often to keep the car running healthy, and that it's best to just run 50/50. How true is that ?

Its not exactly true.

Your tank has been running ethanol since the day it left the factory. All fuel in the US is mixed with ethanol. Its just varying amounts.

Ethanol does not lubricate or work as a solvent the same as gas. In direct injected systems we have found a "residue" that builds up after several consecutive tanks of ethanol when content is above 60%. The residue immediately dissolves in gasoline. Due to this we began recommending customers run a tank of gas or a mixture in the 50% range every so often to act as a fuel injector cleaner.

Also on direct injected cars the hi pressure fuel pumps in some models get finicky with high ethanol content. Mazdaspeed3, WRX, etc. We suspect a variance in the impellers/housing clearances. On the cars that have finicky hi pressure pumps we have found that ethanol content below 50% seems to work all the time.

When temps go below 50deg and the car is parked outside starting can get rougher. Due to this we recommend a mix no stronger than 53% for cold start problematic cars/conditions.

I have let systems sit under pressure for over 8 months (pickled) on 90% ethanol (in a 4th gen LGT). Sent the injectors off to RC Engineering for flow testing and cleaning after the pickle job. Lost 8cc of flow, LOL. 850cc side feed injectors.

Edited by m sprank

I assume the residue doesn't build up in port injection vehicles. Well good thing I'm probably gonna run e85 for spirited driving mosty since it cost less than 91oct to have some fun.

Regardless, I sent another email to Cobb to see if they had any other updates and from the sounds of it, they want to release LGT and FXT support at the same time. Makes sense, but here's a qoute from the reply when they talked about currently working on it.

LGT/FXT flex fuel kits are still a few months out from completion as it is a very big task to write all the custom code required to have a true flex fuel solution.

At least now it's no longer a "no information available". I feel like they're waiting on the FXT to be done and why it's taking so long.

Mike thanks for all the great information.

• 2 weeks later...
We might see this come out by 2019 lol but I have a question for those who know. Do you need to carry a gas containor full of ethanol to switch fuels at the dyno ? Like how would that work if there's no e85 station near the tuner's shop.

We might see this come out by 2019 lol but I have a question for those who know. Do you need to carry a gas containor full of ethanol to switch fuels at the dyno ? Like how would that work if there's no e85 station near the tuner's shop.

Normally you would make prior arrangements with the shop and arrive with < 1/4 tank of 93oct and the shop should take care of the rest. (on your dime of course)

That being said, this thread is for expressing interest and updates concerning the COBB flex-fuel for the LGT platform.

Let's try to keep it on topic and take all other conversation and questions to alternate threads.