LegacyGT.com

There is a myriad of wheel/tire/fit posts and links on the forum! Great information but even with that and a bunch of reading I could not find the answer to this. Or at least an answer my head could comprehend.

I have a line on a set of OEM 18x8.5 STI dark graphite BBS forged wheels off of a 2012 complete with tires and TPMS sensors

I went on willtheyfit.com to try to get an idea on what size adapter/spacer. I need to bring the wheel out to the edge of the fender from its current tucked under the car position. The 'poke' measurement seems to be the one I'm after. The attached is the oem vrs oem.

From the bone stock suspension, what is the 'poke' that will bring the wheel safely out without fender mods. Ignore the tire size, I can move my stock tires (225/45/18) over. My choices are 15, 20 and 25 mm adapters.

How can I measure it? Or will this just not work?

1693458090_factorywheels-tires.thumb.JPG.af8f52cad0346610e3685ebdfcca1d81.JPG

It means that your wheel will stick out ~13mm or half inch more in your calculation. You will have to add the spacer that (or subtract it from the offset).

BTW I was going to use 15mm spacers with the STI & WRX 18" stock wheels.

poconoracing, are you lowered? I had similar specs, 245/40/18 on 18x8.75 +36 and it didn't rub while being lowered ~0.8" on RCE Blacks

Car is stock height. Of course the longer I hang around here....the more likely that changes lol

Sounds like the 20mm spacer is the ticket? Your wheel will be .25/2 or about 6mm/2 wider and 19mm offset difference. 19+3 = 22 mm spacer

This is mind boggling!

actually you care about inside clearance first then poke. Your numbers don't resolve on my crappy phone, but there should be a picture generated showing new vs old. You'll be able to see poke vs inside clearance.

using the numbers you entered, you'll automatically get 13.5mm more poke, as well as 13.5 mm less clearance on the inside. 13.5mm is about 1/2".

instead of spacers just buy a wheel with the correct offset

actually you care about inside clearance first then poke. Your numbers don't resolve on my crappy phone, but there should be a picture generated showing new vs old. You'll be able to see poke vs inside clearance.

using the numbers you entered, you'll automatically get 13.5mm more poke, as well as 13.5 mm less clearance on the inside. 13.5mm is about 1/2".

instead of spacers just buy a wheel with the correct offset

I can buy a set of 4 perfect 18x8.5 2012 Subaru OEM forged BBS STI wheels with tires, center caps and TPMS sending units for $400. You cant beat that with a stick.

even with no spacer there is no inside issue from what I can tell. putting the spacer in just makes it farther away. It's the fender lip I'm trying to get right up too, get rid of that awful recess, without modding the fender.

I think they'll look nice on my silver GT. I'm just trying to see if I can make them work.

Image-1.thumb.jpg.e956ad1cfeec4fe68ed28812d3be1962.jpg

He bought 5x114.3 WRX Rims so he needs 5x100 to 5x114.3 adapter spacers anyways.

I didnt buy anything just yet, but the salvage yard I deal with has a bunch of STI/wrx wheels/tires/tpms available for $100 each. The STI/wrx 18 inch wheels are basically all 18x8.5 with a 55mm offset.

I'll need the adapter for sure, but how thick is the question. Most of the threads here are modded suspension, dropped, coilovers etc. mines stock. Quality adapters are $150 or so. I don't want to guess wrong.

I was hoping someone has done it. Or at least could give me guidance.

I don't see myself doing coilovers. When the car needs struts I'll probably do 13/14 oem struts and springs and keep the stock height. PA roads suck and I live on a dirt road so lowering doesn't seem like a good idea.

I'll need the adapter for sure, but how thick is the question. Most of the threads here are modded suspension, dropped, coilovers etc. mines stock. Quality adapters are $150 or so. I don't want to guess wrong.

I was hoping someone has done it. Or at least could give me guidance.

I have a 13 limited got some konig myth on Amazon. My recommendation is if you don't want to cut the studs 20mm will work. That will poke out :eek: got ISC on eBay for 180 back December.

Reading on I may have found the answer, or at least a start.

FLlegacy used a 25mm perrin spacer to get his factory wheels out to where I would like them back in early 2018

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5750329&postcount=41

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5750842&postcount=46

Reading on I may have found the answer, or at least a start.

FLlegacy used a 25mm perrin spacer to get his factory wheels out to where I would like them back in early 2018

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5750329&postcount=41

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5750842&postcount=46

Our rims, have a 7.5" width. the rims you are looking at are 8.5" The offset is measured from the center of the rim, so the rim width does affect poke when compare wheels with same offset but different widths. I think 25mm spacer with those rims and tires is going to require roll and pulled fenders with 245mm tire. I same poke when I bought my car with taller 245/45-18 tire and with rolled/pulled fender it still was hitting on bumps. I wouldn't not recommend 8.5" rim with what effectively 30mm offset and 245mm tires.

I can buy a set of 4 perfect 18x8.5 2012 Subaru OEM forged BBS STI wheels with tires, center caps and TPMS sending units for $400. You cant beat that with a stick.

even with no spacer there is no inside issue from what I can tell. putting the spacer in just makes it farther away. It's the fender lip I'm trying to get right up too, get rid of that awful recess, without modding the fender.

I think they'll look nice on my silver GT. I'm just trying to see if I can make them work.

These wheels look like Enkei STI wheels with 5x114.3 PCD.

Our cars have 5x100 PCD. Have you checked it?

PS: These wheels are not BBS and not forged.

I ran a set of 25mm spacers on stock wheels, that I purchased from Sarang. I'm lowered on Eibach springs(1") and with the car fully loaded with 4 adults and hitting the right bumps I would scrape the outer fender. It wouldn't happen much, but enough to think about rolling the fenders. It does look just about perfect though.

The one thing I did notice was that all 4 corners aren't at the same height. The driver's front sat the lowest and would rub the most. Although, I would hear the rears rub every once in a while as well.

Here's some pics comparing them.

IMG_5960.thumb.jpg.53d1f7c00a35b09b84971edd344078d1.jpg

IMG_5961.thumb.jpg.4c94dbdf40e12804ccc5ceceb5a370ff.jpg

I got you confused with another 5th gen GT member who bought a set of 2016-17 WRX rims.

that was me...

with 8.5" width et 55 and 245 tires 15 or 20mm adapters are going to be the sweet spot on a stock suspension from what i've seen. 15 puts the inners 2mm further from the struts, and the outers 28mm further out. 20s would be 7mm further from the struts for the inners and 33mm for the outers. when i get around to ordering tires and adapters i'll be going with the 20s and they should fit fine.

Edited by creep_nu
clarification

Our rims, have a 7.5" width. the rims you are looking at are 8.5" The offset is measured from the center of the rim, so the rim width does affect poke when compare wheels with same offset but different widths. I think 25mm spacer with those rims and tires is going to require roll and pulled fenders with 245mm tire. I same poke when I bought my car with taller 245/45-18 tire and with rolled/pulled fender it still was hitting on bumps. I wouldn't not recommend 8.5" rim with what effectively 30mm offset and 245mm tires.

The offset affects the scrub radius which controls how well the car turns and rides. Moving the offset effectively to 80mm is going to change the steering a bit leading to more instability. If you are trying to combat crappy roads, this might not be your best option.

Maybe there's a reason the rims are so cheap? It seems to be the first mod sti owners make...swapping in lighter rims.

ymmv

The offset affects the scrub radius which controls how well the car turns and rides. Moving the offset effectively to 80mm is going to change the steering a bit leading to more instability. If you are trying to combat crappy roads, this might not be your best option.

Maybe there's a reason the rims are so cheap? It seems to be the first mod sti owners make...swapping in lighter rims.

ymmv

The wheels are out of a salvage yard. PMP Auto Specialties. All he does is turbo subaru pretty much, so I can basically choose what I want for $100 a pop. He has 2012 STI coming in with what looks to be 4 perfect OE wheels. This is totally an appearance play.

I like on a mountainside, up a dirt road. The car already has hit a few times underneath in the year I've owner it. Lower would just make that worse, hence why I'm looking for alternatives to close that awful fender/wheel gap.

If you have a better solution that isnt going cost $1500 in wheels and Tires im listening.

like that olde saw says, you gotta pay to play. $1200 seems light. I would have said closer to $2000-$2500 for lighter wheels and matching tires.

Filling the gap requires getting more tire closer to the fender which leads to rubbing. So you roll/flatten the fender lips to get more clearance. Then you aren't flush anymore. Then you get weird handling because wheels are beyond the scrub radius.

Closing the gap? you're in the car, how does it bother you? You're outside the car for a few seconds, how does it bother you? It's your car, do as you like.

For $400? Ive got nothing, then again its not $400. Its 400+ tires+mount/balance +spacers+conversion plates+extended lug bolts. Once you done, you live with reduced bearing life and more wear on the steering and suspension components.

unsubscribes...

like that olde saw says, you gotta pay to play. $1200 seems light. I would have said closer to $2000-$2500 for lighter wheels and matching tires.

Filling the gap requires getting more tire closer to the fender which leads to rubbing. So you roll/flatten the fender lips to get more clearance. Then you aren't flush anymore. Then you get weird handling because wheels are beyond the scrub radius.

Closing the gap? you're in the car, how does it bother you? You're outside the car for a few seconds, how does it bother you? It's your car, do as you like.

For $400? Ive got nothing, then again its not $400. Its 400+ tires+mount/balance +spacers+conversion plates+extended lug bolts. Once you done, you live with reduced bearing life and more wear on the steering and suspension components.

unsubscribes...

Please ... dont go! I'd like to be told again just how wrong I am for my preference on the wheel gap! And of course the incomplete reading of my posts where I specified these are complete wheels with tires/tpms/centercaps ready to go on the car! So my net cost is $400 + ~150 for the adapters. $550. smh.

Thanks Creep_Nu that tracks with FLlegacys post on the 25mm spacers to move his factory wheels out. My calculations were a 22mm would be perfect. 20mm sounds like the ticket.

Do you have your wheels? do they have spacing in the back of the center flange to allow for the lugs? It's one of my considerations. Not excited about trimming the studs

yep, i've got them, and they do have spaces in the back for the lugs(they're enkeis, can't comment on BBS). i *believe* with my extremely imprecise measuring the studs will fit in the back slots, but that's going to vary wheel by wheel. either way, an hour with an angle grinder will get them to where they would need to be if they don't fit, and if i decide to go back to stockers it's another hour or 2 and $25 to replace all the studs.

I don't why you're all over me. I said that I didn't recommend 25mm spacers with those wheels. The rest of the 5th Gen have 48mm offset wheel. I use 45mm offset aftermarket wheels. My scrub radius is within 3mm of the factory. I mention early that I would have used 15mm adapter for an effective 40mm offset if I used 18" WRX/STI wheels. Pretty much any wider aftermarket wheel is going to require a smaller offset affecting the scrub radius.

BTW The offset with 55mm offset wheels and a 25mm spacer would be 30mm not 80mm. Also The factory 5th Gen GT wheel are heavy (~26# IIRC) All the 18" WRX and STI wheels are lighter that I am aware of.

I don't why you're all over me. I said that I didn't recommend 25mm spacers with those wheels. The rest of the 5th Gen have 48mm offset wheel. I use 45mm offset aftermarket wheels. My scrub radius is within 3mm of the factory. I mention early that I would have used 15mm adapter for an effective 40mm offset if I used 18" WRX/STI wheels. Pretty much any wider aftermarket wheel is going to require a smaller offset affecting the scrub radius.

BTW The offset with 55mm offset wheels and a 25mm spacer would be 30mm not 80mm. Also The factory 5th Gen GT wheel are heavy (~26# IIRC) All the 18" WRX and STI wheels are lighter that I am aware of.

He's just butt hurt people are doing things the way they want to rather than his way. *Shrug*

Here i thought this was settled lol

I have the factory 18in GT limited wheel - Letter C in the PIC. It's listed as an 18x7.5 55mm offset - P# 28111AJ041

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru__/49237569__6023511/DISK-WHEEL-ALUMINIUM-WHEEL/B14-290-01.html

The one I'm looking at is this one --

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2012_STI-25L-TURBO-6MT-4WD-SE-SEDAN/DISK-WHEEL-ALUMINIUM/68011683/28111FG151.html

18x8.5 55mm offset

The question I originally asked was - what size adapter to get these on?

The offset out of the box is the same. I'm gaining .5 inch or 12.7MM poke because of the wider wheel.

So 15mm would make a total change of 27.7 mm on the outer edge of the rim correct?

Here i thought this was settled lol

I have the factory 18in GT limited wheel - Letter C in the PIC. It's listed as an 18x7.5 55mm offset - P# 28111AJ041

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru__/49237569__6023511/DISK-WHEEL-ALUMINIUM-WHEEL/B14-290-01.html

The one I'm looking at is this one --

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2012_STI-25L-TURBO-6MT-4WD-SE-SEDAN/DISK-WHEEL-ALUMINIUM/68011683/28111FG151.html

18x8.5 55mm offset

The question I originally asked was - what size adapter to get these on?

The offset out of the box is the same. I'm gaining .5 inch or 12.7MM poke because of the wider wheel.

So 15mm would make a total change of 27.7 mm on the outer edge of the rim correct?

Yes, so you want to stay about there or plan on fender rolling and pulling for the extra few millimeters you want.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk