LegacyGT.com

Cracked bumper / falling trim

My snow banks are 4 ft high at my house and my driveway is so narrow that I only get one exact shot at pulling my car in. Today I failed and bumped into a snow bank when I was pulling in my driveway.

1. Front X is cracked and that little piece above (no fog lamps, but I think they'd go there if I had them) came out. I snapped that piece back in, but the bottom part of the bumper is still cracked. I don't want to spend $300+ on a new one, so is there any way I can just glue it back together? What type of glue would you use?

It's not very noticeable with the car being dirty, but I'm sure it will stand out a bit more once it's summer time and is clean. I also popped back in some of the pins that hold the bumper since they felt like they were coming out.

2. X on the bottom side moulding. It happened on the passenger side at the back. One of the pins popped out, so the trim is loose. I found the pin but it won't pop back in because the pin is slightly broken. Dealer said they sell new pins for $3. How do I line up the trim so I can pop the pin back in? Is it ok to get a car wash with it sort of loose? I don't want water getting in there and causing rot, although I think that piece is plastic anyway.

Great car, but I think I'd buy an Outback next since this is too low and I seem to always have issues like this. I'm used to trucks/SUVs.

subaru.jpg.71c4f3521db5fe63d51a7a0feed1e081.jpg

I would probably look into some fiberglass / bondo on the back side to fix it...not glue.

Remove your bumber, scuff it up and fiberglass where the crack is to hold it stable.

Also..I think you could work out a trade with a Outback owener to swap suspension setups..raise your legacy, someone gets a lowered outback!

There are some good 2 part epoxies on the market that should get that back to one piece, but it will not look like it should. You can find used bumper skins on ebay from time to time or from a local salvage yard.

I got a car wash and it's not that noticeable. I just want to put something on the backside of the of the bumper where it isn't visible. I want to do this to keep the two pieces together.

On a side note, I was visiting NYC this weekend and every Legacy I saw was cracked in that spot and usually missing the black air cover or whatever that is.

I had something like this happen to my 2012 2.5i. My entire passenger side fog light and surround was ripped off of the car when I hit a road gator on the freeway. I bought the replacement fog light and shroud. The front bumper was still cracked and slightly scuffed. You can make out the scuff and the crack in the bumper between the two right most pieces of tape.

I solved it by installing the 5th gen front lip spoiler.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-lip-spoiler-thread-199556.html

You can still find the spoiler on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-12-Legacy-V-Limited-Front-Bumper-Lip-Urethane/370730205909?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231133846%26meid%3D7e8b7f7a1336466a8cb161edf5639274%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D13%26sd%3D281106628779

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/amidroc/2012%20Subaru%20Legacy/P1010041_zpsyrlwui8j.jpg

• 10 months later...

That pic was taken on my base model 2012 2.5i. I hit a road gator and it broke my passenger fog light, fog light shroud and cracked the bumper pretty bad. After I put the lip on it kept it together very nicely.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Archived