LegacyGT.com

What turbo? wiki... with a twist

Yup, side feeds aren't a deal breaker by any means, I ran stock and then DW 740's for probably 9 years or so. Essentially, was told by the head tuner and Cobb Surgeline when I swapped in the 16G that it would be a good time swap over to top feed if budget allowed. The move to top feed by Subaru was for some good reasons and Chris felt it led to a more consistent tune with less variability. Not sure what the specifics of the differences are but decided to do it since the car is getting pushed hard. Edited by shralp

• 7 months later...

Found this post and it’s epic... have a couple of supporting accessories questions...

What’s on order:

Used Stage 3 Long Block (dyno’d 500hp on 93, 17k miles)

Blouch 440XT w/ HPD(TD06) and 10cm

ID 1050X Injectors

ID fuel rail

IAG TGV Deletes

IAG UEL Headers

Mishimoto Turbo Inlet

Stainless Turbo Oil Lines

AEM Fuel Pump (E85 compatible)

Previously in use:

Cobb Instake

Cobb AP

AVO TMIC

Invidia Catted DP

SPT Exhaust

SB Stage 2 Clutch

Car previously dyno’d 260/290 at the wheels with a VH46 turbo and custom tune from Dotson at 19psi. Cyl 4 is down to 30psi as of last week, but still running strong.

What am I forgetting here? Pressure regulator required? Recommended? She’ll be going back to Kracken and Dotson for tuning after all the parts are installed and broken in.

Edited by Kazsmir

ask the tuner

what year is the car? Do you need fuel rails for 1000/1050 cc?? Might be unnecessary, especially if you have 07+ which has oem topfeeds. So if you set on getting the rails, I would get bigger injectors.

Edited by Tehnation

Rails not needed. I would do a 1.5XTR in 10cm rather than the 440XT, but please note, I and many others have had awful experiences with Blouch when it came to service. I could not even get them to reply to email about parts or cores when I offered to pay for everything, so you can imagine how warranty inquiries are handled. If you don't live close to him, I would choose something else. But, I hear you say, the 440XT is needed to fit the stock intercooler the AVO replicates! And I will tell you, nothing in the stock TMIC footprint will properly cool anything in that power range! You are trying to put 10lb of shit (hot air) in a 2lb bag (intercooler). You need to be thinking minimum GRB TMIC with suitable splitter or better, a FMIC at this point. And please, ditch the UELH. That robs you of so much power and efficiency. ELH or go home.

Glad to see this thread is still alive and kicking after all this time!

Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

ask the tuner

what year is the car? Do you need fuel rails for 1000/1050 cc?? Might be unnecessary, especially if you have 07+ which has oem topfeeds. So if you set on getting the rails, I would get bigger injectors.

'06 spec.B, and yes you can find side feed 1000/1050cc, but I may decide to go bigger in the future, so I went with Top Feed Rail Conversion...

I have been speaking with the tuner who tuned the car previously and will be tuning it this time as well. He's approved the list for an efficient 440hp at the crank. It's my daily currently, so I'm not looking to get super crazy.

Rails not needed, I would do a 1.5XTR in 10cm rather than the 440XT. But, you say, the 440XT is needed to fit the stock intercooler the AVO replicates. I will tell you, nothing in the stock footprint will properly cool anything in that power range! You are trying to put 10lb of shit in a 2lb bag. You need to be thinking minimum GRB TMIC with suitable ducting or better, a FMIC at this point. And please, ditch the UELH. That robs you of so much power and efficiency. ELH or go home.

I'm old school and a little nostalgic... I like the rumble... I'm not going for max gains at this point, but rather a modest, reliable setup and tune. Shooting for 440HP at the crank, which is where the turbo peaks out. When and if the B is no longer my daily and a weekend fun car, I'll probably go bigger, and at that point you're right, the AVO and UELH are sub optimal... and I will look to go FMIC and KillerB or something else EL. I appreciate the feedback and recommendations!

u probably don't need headers either, i agree with fahr side, elh or go home!

I'm a grimmspeed fanboy so I would get their tmic and intake. Their tmic gives you access to wrx turbos without the flange via hose they sell.

Edited by Tehnation

• 10 months later...
So, I've read the main post's in this thread, and am now curious (due to the issues with the vf-40) about what turbo I might be able to install on a stock tune if my current turbo dies. If I need to get a tune, then so be it, but I would prefer not to if possible (though if the turbo supports it, I will be down the road anyways, so that's a plus)

You should PM member JmP6889928, he is our "go to guy" for turbo's. He may have a vf40 or, you can find a used vf40 that needs rebuilding, have him rebuild it and swap it in before yours goes out and takes the engine with it.

Here, I found one for you,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/moving-sale-286082.html

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks! I'll probably go the rebuild route and have the car down for a few weeks then! Will be less expensive as the car is still on the stock turbo with124k miles (borrowed time... I'm shocked she's lived like this!)

I would get that used turbo for 60 obo, rather than be down for a few weeks. Get the second one rebuild it, install it, rebuild your old one, sell it. How much is rebuilding a vf40? and how much for a new/rebuilt one? If the costs offset, I would go this route!

In talks for the new one because that way I'm not down for a while. And because the car is a slow burn, I'd have the two turbos to keep throwing in and rebuilding until the engine just quits. At that time I'm moving to a brand new long block and going to 350+ horses. In the meantime, the car is quite healthy

My original VF40 has 133K on with not signs of quitting. I've been running the COBB stg 2 tune on it for about 5K and it's great.

Good to know. This car has 124k miles. Hopefully there is no glitter. If there isn't, I'll be very happy

In talks for the new one because that way I'm not down for a while. And because the car is a slow burn, I'd have the two turbos to keep throwing in and rebuilding until the engine just quits. At that time I'm moving to a brand new long block and going to 350+ horses. In the meantime, the car is quite healthy

blowing up your turbo is a misnomer. ppl say that to cover up their new shortblock that arrived in the mail and their rebuilt heads that are due back from the machine shop.

once your turbo goes, the shrapnel destroys the engine. if you're lucky, just the bearings and pistons. if not, the engine spits a hunk of machined metal, too

blowing up your turbo is a misnomer. ppl say that to cover up their new shortblock that arrived in the mail and their rebuilt heads that are due back from the machine shop.

once your turbo goes, the shrapnel destroys the engine. if you're lucky, just the bearings and pistons. if not, the engine spits a hunk of machined metal, too

And that's why I intend on monitoring things so that doesn't happen.... That being said, stuff happens, and if she dies, she dies. That just gives me the excuse to throw money at the car. :lol: Hopefully none of the above happens soon though. And the whole thing on the turbo blowing up, yeah, I get that being a misnomer. Metal on metal anywhere in an engine isn't ideal. Hopefully I don't find glitter in a few thousand kilometers. Will be an interesting ownership for me since I'm not afraid to throw money at it