LegacyGT.com

So, the roads are empty, who's out driving harder than normal?

So this weekend will be interesting. I am picking up a 2014 Mercedes AMG E63s and driving it to the coast, staying overnight and driving a 2015 Porsche Targa 4S back to Bend. I have the route all planned out and its the longer scenic version. I don't plan on being an A-hole driver, but instead enjoying the drive and getting on it where its safe and fun. I am beyond stoked to get the opportunity to do this car exchange and its going to be a blast. I'll post pictures so its legit.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So this weekend will be interesting. I am picking up a 2014 Mercedes AMG E63s and driving it to the coast, staying overnight and driving a 2015 Porsche Targa 4S back to Bend. I have the route all planned out and its the longer scenic version. I don't plan on being an A-hole driver, but instead enjoying the drive and getting on it where its safe and fun. I am beyond stoked to get the opportunity to do this car exchange and its going to be a blast. I'll post pictures so its legit.

your taking the mountain road there and back, right? Cause driving past Mt Hood is only fun if you like the long sweepers preceded by hours of stoplights.

btw, nice job. Are they hiring?

your taking the mountain road there and back, right? Cause driving past Mt Hood is only fun if you like the long sweepers preceded by hours of stoplights.

btw, nice job. Are they hiring?

I am taking it through Sweet Home and across the valley to Nestucca River Road that is NW of McMinnville towards the coast.

If you guys know of a good route out of Seaside towards twisty roads in the coast range I would love to hear about them. Driving along the coast is pretty, but kinda slow and boring.

AAA has changed its towing policy. They roll a repair truck first, and if the triage comes back "you were a bad boy" they deny your free tow.

RV Plus is the policy you want. 200miles and your overnight hotel is covered. A little spendy but worth it.

63 posts? Sorry you don't know me. I'm here for the pure entertainment value. Until your car catches fire doing something stupid, I'm barely awake.

if you ignore the heat problem, it's changing gears improperly that kills the gears. The heat problem is driving the car at high rpm for long periods of time. Problem is exacerbated if you have a high torque engine.

Boxkita, I wasted more than a few hours reading about the race wagon you campaigned...the news that fifth gear was weak on the LGT gearbox was new to me. I don't drag race or autocross the car, nor have I road raced it. I did ten years on the SCCA/IMSA circuit, so I certainly know my way around the road courses in the USA. I was easy on equipment, as expected of a pro endurance racer. This is my street car, and I don't hammer it. My synchros are still in excellent shape, so I expect the rest of the components are also holding up. I LOVE the 450 ft. lbs of torque my motor makes, when I need to pass a car on my beloved Hill Country roads. That happens at 4650, and I'm down to 300 hp and 250 ft lbs at 6500 revs. I'm less nervous having thought about this. A once-a-year run to top end the car isn't likely to shatter fifth gear from the aerodynamic loading. Of course, not doing it at all takes the risk factor down a notch. But what fun is that?

Speaking of tickets, and lawyers lol. I was so called clocked going double the speed limit in my WRX :lol: Well thanks for my lawyer in the family, I got a call saying if I paid the full fine of 450 with in that week all would be dropped. :rolleyes:

I paid it and no points or nothing. Oh and I did't mention that the prosecutor live right behind me and I talked to him when cutting grass the next day lol. He is the one who said to pay and I was good to go lol.

He had a big grin that day :lol:

I was driving from Summit Point during a test day when I was on an IMSA team, headed to court to testify on an insurance case (part time job as a private investigator). I borrowed the team principle's 911 Turbo after changing into a suit. Got nailed for 85 in a 55. I was just loafing along, but my brain was used to track speed, I guess. Reckless in Virginia. I don't remember what the fine was. I do remember top ending the 911 later, saying if I was paying for reckless, I was going to enjoy it.

Boxkita, I wasted more than a few hours reading about the race wagon you campaigned...the news that fifth gear was weak on the LGT gearbox was new to me. I don't drag race or autocross the car, nor have I road raced it. I did ten years on the SCCA/IMSA circuit, so I certainly know my way around the road courses in the USA. I was easy on equipment, as expected of a pro endurance racer. This is my street car, and I don't hammer it. My synchros are still in excellent shape, so I expect the rest of the components are also holding up. I LOVE the 450 ft. lbs of torque my motor makes, when I need to pass a car on my beloved Hill Country roads. That happens at 4650, and I'm down to 300 hp and 250 ft lbs at 6500 revs. I'm less nervous having thought about this. A once-a-year run to top end the car isn't likely to shatter fifth gear from the aerodynamic loading. Of course, not doing it at all takes the risk factor down a notch. But what fun is that?

Thanks. Yer welcome. :)

Not everyone who posts here has actual experience at the bleeding edge. I always assume none.

If something isn't breaking, you're not pushing hard enough. Whether 5th shattered because weak or because speed shifting or because overheating/losing temper, I never discovered. Bought a new transmission and never tracked it again. The new transmission has about 2000 miles on it in the last 6 years, so wear is minimal. :)

I am taking it through Sweet Home and across the valley to Nestucca River Road that is NW of McMinnville towards the coast.

If you guys know of a good route out of Seaside towards twisty roads in the coast range I would love to hear about them. Driving along the coast is pretty, but kinda slow and boring.

Guessing your friend doesn't want you racking up unnecessary miles? Cause this route is about 7 hours according to Google.

https://goo.gl/maps/R1NEUdr7gSv4sR2ZA

At sisters, ignore the boring route and head out of town on hwy 242 towards the "Dee Wright Observatory" continuing on to junction with hwy 126 (turn right). Google says its closed Nov-Jul, ymmv. If it's closed, you can skip the detour to belknap.

At schooner creek (after you turn off 101 at culver city), you'll take the south schooner creek road to Rose Lodge. Then follow the route from there. The schooner creek road is the only part Ive never driven, ymmv. Google says its paved all the way.

Bring a radar detector, because small towns.

If you want to meander more, try this one: https://goo.gl/maps/ToY62wu6bzR4RMDE6

If hwy 242 is open, bombing thru the lava fields with satisfy beyond your wildest dreams. If you've ever been to ORP and like the half-pipe, this is better. Mrs. Boxkita yelled at me the whole route and threatened bodily harm when I wanted to rerun it. She's more of an autobahn runner.

Interesting, never knew 5th was glass. Guess I can feel lucky getting as much out of my 5 speed as I did on track before finally killing it after 8 seasons, although rarely did I find myself in 5th gear at the track. Yay for STI 6 speeds!

Interesting, never knew 5th was glass. Guess I can feel lucky getting as much out of my 5 speed as I did on track before finally killing it after 8 seasons, although rarely did I find myself in 5th gear at the track. Yay for STI 6 speeds!

At the Ridge, the front straight puts you in 5th gear about start finish line assuming a number of factors. If you are punishing the 911 & boxster contingents , hammerdown in 5th is a requirement. As well as full throttle through turn 1, because nothing says wasted dollars like outbraking a 911 in a wagon.

Not to be that guy but, last night on the evening news there was a story about the increase in highway death's, just because of this...

Be safe.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated Too

You did well. I stripped 5th gear THREE TIMES before I learned and gave up my stubborn love for the ratios of the 5 speed... I knew the gear was not strong but the first two times I stripped it I put it down to aggressive changes under serious power - the third time, I was already in 5th going <redacted> mph and mashed the gas pedal, car built boost hard (Methanol car) and just tore the gear apart there and then... 6MT swap now. Gave up fixing 5 speeds for my hobby.

Now that was fun.

Drove to the coast through every twisty road I could map out. Had the Valentine 1 radar detector on as always. Such a great weekend! So what did I learn about these two amazing cars versus my Legacy GT?

I can see why people would want more power out of the GT.

The AMG E63S is a total beast car, it put the Targa 4S to shame in road worthiness. However on the twists the Targa with its shorter wheelbase was on rails.

305/30R19 Pilot 4S rear tires are so damn sticky.

I do not fit in the Porsche seats very well. Too wide at the shoulders and it drive me nuts after 6 hours in the seat.

Hwy 197 from The Dalles Oregon to Hwy 97 north of Madras is an amazing high speed piece of pavement that is in great shape. Huge sight lines and amazing rolling hills.

I need better seats in the Legacy, they a bit too mushy side to side now for my liking, but I have no idea what to replace them with and retain airbag function.

For the money the Legacy GT is a total blast to drive. I could spend more but I would have more expensive parts and service if I needed a shop.

Pics for fun below when I can get them to load.

Vespa- not sure what year or color seats you need, but the ‘09 spec b seats have alcantara inserts that are way grippier than the oem leather.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder