LegacyGT.com

So, the roads are empty, who's out driving harder than normal?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drive safe and stay aware of what others are doing around you. It's too easy to lose track of what's important sometimes. Here's another recent example to not take the lower road population for granted.

https://kslnewsradio.com/1923131/aston-martin-estimated-to-be-traveling-over-100-mph-meets-fatal-end/

Why is it that spending $200,000 on a super car that it doesn't protect you from harm when driving at speeds it was intended? Seems backwards

Just to be clear I am not driving like an asshole. I am driving fast but not stupid like the people in these articles above. I personally want to live and I do have my wife with me which makes me more responsible, not less. Its probably better she is with me.

I drove for over 30 miles without seeing another car to give you an idea of traffic out here, its just amazing. I am most likely doing another drive this weekend. Not sure of where I will go yet, but possibly the same area?

• 2 weeks later...
On my way to Portland to pick up some car parts between Elbe and Morton got pulled over doin 70 in a 55. County Sheriff gave me a choice because I didn't have current proof of insurance. I could have speeding ticket or no insurance ticket. He said if I know I have insurance I can beat that ticket. Nice drive, nice country roads, not much traffic for a weekday.

I've been taking my 2005 LGT out for Texas Hill Country drives well before covid emptied the roads. I do see the change in gas prices ($1.699 costco premium). I took the "main road" home Thursday from a friend's ranch, and think I only got stopped at two lights. Just cruised along at the speed limit for almost two hours. I was thinking about hopping on the interstate for two miles to "clear the pipes". Theoretical 6535 rpm in fifth. Several mph faster than the back straight at COTA. Still looking for an open road to see if the car can redline the engine in top gear...

I like a good flogging of the gas pedal on the empty roads as much as anyone, however, I really miss my monthly autocross.

The local dump took over part of the 4-lane road leading to its entrance to allow a singular experience while, er, dumping. To implement this one-holer experience, they set up a half mile arrangement of cones about 24 paces apart. Ponder that temptation for a second, as the typical auto cross slalom segment is 3-4 cones, not 1/2 mile.

Resistance was futile especially as it was on the way home from the lumberyard. A couple trips a day with an empty car was fun. Until I got overly involved...approaching the end of the line (entrance to the dump) at tire squealing speed , bad idea. Double checked for the long arm of the law while sheepishly driving respectfully away and avoided that road for a couple of days. Next time through? Only 5 cones 10 feet apart right near the entrance. Oh well...

I've been taking my 2005 LGT out for Texas Hill Country drives well before covid emptied the roads. I do see the change in gas prices ($1.699 costco premium). I took the "main road" home Thursday from a friend's ranch, and think I only got stopped at two lights. Just cruised along at the speed limit for almost two hours. I was thinking about hopping on the interstate for two miles to "clear the pipes". Theoretical 6535 rpm in fifth. Several mph faster than the back straight at COTA. Still looking for an open road to see if the car can redline the engine in top gear...

i'd request a tune modification that removes the governor at 155 as well as bumps redline in 5th to the same as 4th. :)

I'm pretty sure my tune does not have a speed limiter, other than the 7000 rpm limit for engine revs. GPS would show a number higher than the speed limit you reference...hypothetically speaking...because of the 245/40x17 tires on the car with the engine spinning at 6535.

No limiter...GPS shows 157 mph, when AccessPort shows a peak rpm at 6535. A longer stretch of I-10 would probably allow a chance to see if the car could hit the 7000 rpm rev limiter in fifth.

^happened to me once, but my 5th split in to 2 pcs clean on a 75% accel on the highway. the rest of the gears were still there so i made it to the dealer, but just barely. With 5th missing from the shaft, the rest of the gears slid down and the h-pattern shifted. it was so weird.

i'd request a tune modification that removes the governor at 155 as well as bumps redline in 5th to the same as 4th. :)
not gonna lie, that was my thought too. Hearing the teeth from 5th gear pinging off is a special feeling

Interesting, Boxkita. Suggestion to remove limiter and keep redline in fifth, then advise doing this might shear off the teeth on that gear...

If I lunch the gear box, then I will move on to an STi six speed. I prefer not to chew up the box, of course! But if it happens, call AAA and get the LGT towed back to my garage. I have the Plus membership, which I think covers a 100 mile tow. It might be farther, but that should be sufficient.

Most of my WOT is in third gear. How does that affect the box? I've only pushed fifth gear twice...and after this thread...likely never again.

5th gear isn't hardened so can't sustain banging on it. If you are cruising its fine, but its not high gear at the track. I use it for eating up the miles on long cruises, however, double limit cruising gets expensive.

OP wanted to find the upper limit. 5th gear at redline IS upper limit. However if you drive like its the Texas Mile, you'll need a tow pretty quick.

AAA has changed its towing policy. They roll a repair truck first, and if the triage comes back "you were a bad boy" they deny your free tow.

RV Plus is the policy you want. 200miles and your overnight hotel is covered. A little spendy but worth it.

85mph in texas - https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/us/texas-raising-speed-limit-for-title-of-fastest-in-the-land.html

63 posts? Sorry you don't know me. I'm here for the pure entertainment value. Until your car catches fire doing something stupid, I'm barely awake.

if you ignore the heat problem, it's changing gears improperly that kills the gears. The heat problem is driving the car at high rpm for long periods of time. Problem is exacerbated if you have a high torque engine.

Edited by boxkita

Yikes!

Yeah Boxita, if that is the 85mph highway. I don't know the name of it. I didn't drive West enough

texas has max 85 on rural highway & freeways

utah, idaho, montana have max 80 on rural highway and freeway

ca-73 used to be a private toll road near irvine california. Until it was "state-ized", it was "reasonable speed". Now, the speed limit is 65 or so.

caveat: I don't condone speeding. I used to have a good job, a good lawyer, a good radar detector and I got lucky. My lawyer said I paid for all 3 of his kids to get braces. @$250/ticket, I don't feel that lucky. ymmv.

Someone posted a note saying high impact accidents are up considerably. At 60mph into a solid object, the airbag will fack you up. Even wearing a helmet, I got a concussion.

Speaking of tickets, and lawyers lol. I was so called clocked going double the speed limit in my WRX :lol: Well thanks for my lawyer in the family, I got a call saying if I paid the full fine of 450 with in that week all would be dropped. :rolleyes:

I paid it and no points or nothing. Oh and I did't mention that the prosecutor live right behind me and I talked to him when cutting grass the next day lol. He is the one who said to pay and I was good to go lol.

He had a big grin that day :lol: