LegacyGT.com

Cylinder 2 misfire questions

From that photo, I'd say turbo oil seals.

Do you think it would be worth replacing the turbo at this point in time? I already have the turbo so I don't need to buy anything else, or should I just wait till I put the new motor in. I feel like if it isn't chocking down a bunch of oil it might help it last a little bit longer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like you need a new engine with compression and oil consumption. I have a hard time believe that the turbo seals are letting past 1 quart every 500-600 miles. I have seen quite a few owner improperly install an AOS (Some of the post on installs are incorrect). I would put back the factory PCV setup and run it the way the factory intended. See what the oil looks like in the intake track and see if it blows dipstick out.

Do you think it would be worth replacing the turbo at this point in time? I already have the turbo so I don't need to buy anything else, or should I just wait till I put the new motor in. I feel like if it isn't chocking down a bunch of oil it might help it last a little bit longer

I didn’t see this post until after my other post, I would just wait. No point in risking ruining a new turbo by install it on a motor on the way out.

It seems like you need a new engine with compression and oil consumption. I have a hard time believe that the turbo seals are letting past 1 quart every 500-600 miles. I have seen quite a few owner improperly install an AOS (Some of the post on installs are incorrect). I would put back the factory PCV setup and run it the way the factory intended. See what the oil looks like in the intake track and see if it blows dipstick out.

Putting the stock breather set up back is easier then swapping out the turbo.

But you also have low compression in #2...

Stock breather set up makes sense at this point. But you do realize what you really need to do...

You really want to make sure the engine is running well so the new short block that's in your future, well start and run well.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Putting the stock breather set up back is easier then swapping out the turbo.

But you also have low compression in #2...

Stock breather set up makes sense at this point. But you do realize what you really need to do...

You really want to make sure the engine is running well so the new short block that's in your future, well start and run well.

I'll swap back to the factory pcv system and see if that helps. I'm not trying to deny the fact that I need a new engine ( I am building one as I write this), I just need to make the car last till March. I will only be driving it when it is raining and can't ride my motorcycle. I'm in San Diego so chances are that won't be much driving.

How would the engine running bad now affect the new short block. I am most likely putting stage 2 cams and some other bolt ons so it will be getting a fresh tune for startup and break-in.

With all those changes an d fresh start up tune, you'll be fine.

I was afraid you might start the new engine on this tune which is based on the used engine... which has issues.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here