LegacyGT.com

Nexus 7 Tablet Install for Dummies (Guide)

IMG_4869.thumb.jpg.d6c75eb49bde9bda2d6f7c314d2e5d61.jpg

Got my gauges laid out better. Thanks infosecdad.

Two questions....first I’m sure easy but haven’t gotten the chance to play and figure it out. How do I datalog and save logs to files? Need to send logs to my tuner

Second, should I be concerned that my left and right tgv are slightly different? Left seems to be 2-4v lower on a consistent basis (2 days)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH]274713[/ATTACH]

Got my gauges laid out better. Thanks infosecdad.

Two questions....first I’m sure easy but haven’t gotten the chance to play and figure it out. How do I datalog and save logs to files? Need to send logs to my tuner

Second, should I be concerned that my left and right tgv are slightly different? Left seems to be 2-4v lower on a consistent basis (2 days)

Glad to help.

In the fields menu, you can choose which params to log (and it doesn't have to be a gauge as well). Your tuner should have provided which values they want you to send.

A lot of people enable the setting for logging when the button for the rear defroster is pressed. The background of the display will turn blue to indicate logging is active. Once done, you can tap the menu -> logs, and it will show you all the logs. You can mark which ones you want, then tap "share". There are a bunch of ways they can be offloaded, I have them uploaded to a folder on my Google Drive so I can grab them later from the computer.

Post a log with your TGVs in it, they can be off slightly; but there is a line where they are probably too far apart.

• 4 months later...

I'm stuck. I've got an ASUS Nexus 7 2012 32gb. KIMG2332_zpselg1jzey.jpg

KIMG2331_zpssaulczxc.jpg

I've started over several times. As soon as I try to open/run razorg-mob30x-factory-10b7ca08

This is what I get.

'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command.

@ampmcv

Furthermore, you need to make sure all your paths and environment variables are set correctly. The errors you're seeing are related to the computer/program not finding the "fastboot.exe" file that comes as part of the Android SDK. I'm not sure what "razorg-mob30x-factory-10b7ca08" is (I assume it's a ROM or an automatic ROM loader or something).

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. I know its not the right place for such comments but i hope its not a problem if i ask here. I had asus nexus 7 2013 (wifi version) setup in my legacy bp for several years and changed the car. My setup did not pass to the new car owner and is collecting dust for 3 years now. Its asus nexus 7 2013 wifi version (dont remember strage capacity but i can check. It is tuned by local electronics repair shop in a way battery is removed and emulated by custom build power supply which suspends the pad on acc voltage loss. It has integrated otg connection with 4 port usb hub. Power supply has additional micro usb chargine wire for external mifi router which gives the charge in intervals to save battery power. Power supply also have a configurable suspend time duration when it holds the pad in suspend mode. Unfortunalely this time cannot be changed by user and is flashed into the psu chip. I made this algorythm to wake up pad from sleep during the day right away and it powers cold start fr morming. The tab is integrated to Jdm panasonic strada glove box bracket and has air vent extenders modified for lhd cars. Psu software has 1 bug which i did not have time to fix - battery emulation is not finally completed as pad reduces it charge to zero for around 7 hours of constant use. So when its finally zero, needs psu restart (this was done by a switch on a battery wire). Pad has external power and volume swotch plate which i integrated to middle console.

I would love to use this pad further but it doesnot fit my next gen legacy in size so it has to find a new sweet home. I paid lots of money for modifications, pad, jdm frame, custom psu but i want to get back at least 450 usd out of it. So if anyone is interested, i can post pics, make video how it works and hopefully it will continue its life in other legacy. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
If I'm not mistaken (and I probably am) razorg-mob30x-factory-10b7ca08 is the factory image I got from the Reddit post.

I fixed it. Took about 3 hours. I had installed the wrong bootloader. I'm installing Dom's cooling mod and pulling the shims out of my oil pump, reinstalling the timing belt, fmic, etc. & then I'm off to the races! jk. I'll be back for help.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

@ampmcv

• 2 months later...

Quick Update -

I bought an Android Auto/Apple Carplay USB dongle and added it to the setup.

Android Auto:

49697815946_c9034b4dd7_b.jpg

Apple Carplay:

49698124652_c0fa41ac52_b.jpg

I have to tether my phone to my tablet, and while it is a first world problem, I really like the convenience of running AA/AC. plug in, and the things i use 99% of the time are just streamed to my tablet.

I've only done preliminary tests but so far, so good. Minimal software tinkering to make it work. I've decided to run a dedicated USB run to the cigarette lighter port in the dash, as that's where i usually power my phones.

Charging the phone through the dongle seems really weak, but I wasn't expecting it to work at all.

Cigarette Lighter USB Plug Replacement Cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAMU8KY

They have Dual port/cord models as well, but since the dongle only supports one connection at a time I went with the single port. I think i probably should have gone with the 2 port, and then connect the second one to power so I can charge a second phone.

CarLinkIt Android Auto/Apple Carplay Dongle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RZC7TQ2

they have wireless connection models as well, but I prefer the security of direct connection.

many of the functions are seamless. when i hit the hard-wired (and mapped) "home" button on the face plate, the AA/AC interface drops to my desktop, and i can launch Torque, or other apps on the tablet.

for an investment of $75, i'm pretty happy!

Glad to hear it!

Let us know if it keeps your phone charged while you use it, that seems to be one of the primary complaints.

I had something similar a couple years ago, but it died after about a year, been looking for a replacement.

Glad to hear it!

Let us know if it keeps your phone charged while you use it, that seems to be one of the primary complaints.

I had something similar a couple years ago, but it died after about a year, been looking for a replacement.

Right now it's plugged into the wall, and i'm getting a little charge.

I really doubt i'll be able to charge the phone when in the car, as i currently have Nexus battery drain. I need to install a 5A-USB converter and get this thing off of the outlet in the center cubby.

I was planning to buy a Nexus 7 (2013) but some of the prices, anyone has any thoughts on other 7" tablets that also work for this, probably a newer device since Nexus are older

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. The only issue with it is that there's no easy/clean way to get it to turn on with power applied (instead of charging). If you drive the car often enough, it's not a big deal since you can just leave it in deep sleep. It's worlds better than the N7, and it should fit pretty comfortably in the JDM nav bezel. Honestly, it'll probably fit even better in the larger JDM nav bezel (the one made for the Panasonic nav system), since it's an 8" tablet.

It doesn't require any software hacking, but you will need to fabricate your own USB-OTG "cable" to get OTG+Charging working (see this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/general/hw-mod-usb-otg-charging-galaxy-s3-t1953061)

I bought a right-angle USB Micro-B breakout to FFC off of AliExpress, and soldered a small surface-mount resistor between pin 4 and 5 to get the OTG+Charge working correctly. I don't remember the resistance value I used, but I figured it out by temporarily soldering in a trimmer and adjusting until the tablet went into OTG+Charge mode. Once I figured that out, I swapped it for a fixed SMD resistor.

Below is a photo album of the Tab S2 install in my '07 Accord. I may eventually get another one of these to put into my LGT when it's back up and running.

https://imgur.com/a/AcTdRVU

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting so close i can taste it. the Android Auto Dongle "Almost" works. I'll get into that in a second.

I added a GROM Bluetooth dongle, and i wish i had done this 11 years ago, and did not cheap out on some other Aux/USB powered dongle like i did 2 years ago.

https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adapters/subaru-05-09-bluetooth-adapter-car-kit-interface.html

I removed the cigarette lighter from the center console, and used that factory power cable to connect the 12V-5V USB adapter. It looks like my power drain issues may be gone, and I wish i had done this 2 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081NCXB2M

In place of the cigarette lighter I installed a single USB Cigarette lighter adapter, and wish i had just bought and installed the dual. that's on order, and will come in later today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N66N1JK

One USB will run into the CarLinKit that runs Android Auto/CarPlay

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RZC7TQ2

the other will just supply power for my second phone, via the 5v USB adapter.

I ran (as a backup) a USB cable and an 1/8 audio cable through the center console, into the cubby where my factory Aux is, and i'm glad I did. I've patched in the output from my USB DAC for a stable analog connection to the head unit, rather than listen strictly over BlueTooth. I have the option of either now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSS6CS

I can't help but wonder if installing the additional AUX option on the GROM dongle would have allowed use for both, and eliminating the need to run an AUX cable into the center console.

I'll post the issue i'm having in the following post.

Here's the issue with the CarLinkKit AutoKit -

I've modified the display properties of my tablet so that the visible space is inside the bezel of my NAV unit, and that has squished some apps (mostly the Google aps) and made the resolution look wonkey. It never affected my navigation apps, so no big deal.

Note the orange bar in the top 3rd of the screen.

49757353966_3cd8bf6466_b.jpg

However, it DOES squish the ever loving crap out of the AutoKit that serves up Android Auto - IF i connect the phone after a full boot. If the phone is connected, it seems the dongle launches the software first, serves up the right resolution and beats whatever service that starts and squishes the interface.

BUT the app immediately crashes. it relaunches a second time and then this garbage appears in the corner - it's a button i can pull to another location which serves up the home, back, and minimize buttons.

I was able to pull the dot into the middle of the screen.

49757688597_98a1049809_b.jpg

hitting the button brings up this nav window:

49756828933_ba8f7f9de5_b.jpg

I can't get rid of it, and once it is opened, it blocks the buttons on the Android Auto interface. I can manually close the app, and that menu button is gone, but i have to disconnect my phone and plug it back in to get the app to open up properly again.

once I've stabilized the app this way, it seems to work just fine, even when putting the tablet to sleep. it's only on a full power down/power up (which is going to be about 70% of the time) that i run into this.

some questions -

Is there a known way to set the startup order of android apps so that i can try forcing a launch of the AutoKit before "anything else"?

does anyone know what those stupid buttons are from? potentially another launcher app?

49757688597_98a1049809_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

Is it just me or is there literally no walk through in this whole thread. No instructions as to actual installation. Where does the Tactrix cable run to? Straight to the tablet? This isn't a step-by-step guide. The op never posted anything. All you seem like you did your own research and came in here for counseling. Help?

@ampmcv

Is it just me or is there literally no walk through in this whole thread. No instructions as to actual installation. Where does the Tactrix cable run to? Straight to the tablet? This isn't a step-by-step guide. The op never posted anything. All you seem like you did your own research and came in here for counseling. Help?

When I had my setup, I had my Tactrix cable plugged into a USB hub, which was plugged into the tablet through an OTG cable. Then used BtSsm for logging with the cable.

I am looking at the parts list and USB Car charger is dead. I am assuming that is just a regular ol' cigarette lighter charger unit, correct?

Yeah, should be. You'll want one that can supply a good amount of current (I wouldn't want anything less than 2A if you're running the tablet as well as some other USB peripherals like a USB-DAC or a Tactrix cable, etc.).

Thanks, I this moment I dont think I would run USB-DAC, but I should consider it now instead of regretting it later. I plan to buy a nice headunit that does everything I want and the Nexus more of a show me BtSsm info or maybe Gmaps, since some of these headunits map software gui sucks

• 3 weeks later...