LegacyGT.com

JD Power study finds Korean cars are the most reliable

The title to this thread ("Korean cars are the most reliable") is not a valid conclusion from this JD Powers survey.

This survey measures how "perfect" the cars are when coming off the manufacturing line, and has more to do with quality control than quality of the engineering that goes into making a car 'reliable'.

Even JD Powers 'long term reliability' survey's only extend through the first three years of ownership, hardly what many of us would consider "long term".

The title to this thread ("Korean cars are the most reliable") is not a valid conclusion from this JD Powers survey.

This survey measures how "perfect" the cars are when coming off the manufacturing line, and has more to do with quality control than quality of the engineering that goes into making a car 'reliable'.

Even JD Powers 'long term reliability' survey's only extend through the first three years of ownership, hardly what many of us would consider "long term".

Exactly. Plus, many people lease their vehicles which is usually a 3-year. "reliable" is meaningless in that short period. 3 years is usually within the warranty window, too for many car companies.

I would say the ratings would be more fair if you put it into a 5 year window.

Dodge is above average? Lies. I tried to convince my mom not to buy a Charger. Since then, its had the battery, the alternator go bad 2 years after the battery, water pump replaced due to noise, heated seat elements replaced, shifter replaced under recall, airbag under recall and I'm sure a few things I'm missing. Sad part is she has under 20k on the car. I joke with her all the time about her car being in the shop more times in a few years than mine has and I've got another 100k on the odometer.

My father's Dakota never had firewall plugs installed from the factory. The first huge storm filled his truck with water. How they miss something so simple is beyond me. The paint on the bed and tailgate is flaking off at an alarming rate. His recirc actuator just took a shit and requires whole dash removal and splitting the hvac box just to replace it. Granted, his truck is 8 years old now but only has 40k.

As for saying Korean cars are cream of the crop....let's see how much money Hyundai donated to JD.

Consumer Reports overall brand rankings (Source: Consumer Reports, April 2019, pp. 18-19):

#1 - Subaru

#2 - Genesis

#3 - Porsche

#4 - Audi

#5 - Lexus

#6 - Mazda

#7 - BMW

#8 - Lincoln

#9 - Toyota

#10 - Hyundai

CR brand reliability rankings (Source: Consumer Reports Online, updated February 2019):

#1 - Toyota

#2 - Subaru

#3 - Lexus

#4 - Mazda

#5 - Hyundai

#6 - Genesis

#7 - Audi

#8 - Kia

#9 - Porsche

#10 - BMW

CR owner satisfaction rankings (Source: Consumer Reports Online, updated February 2019):

#1 - Tesla

#2 - Porsche

#3 - Genesis

#4 - Subaru

#5 - Audi

#6 - Ram

#7 - Toyota

#8 - Honda

#9 - Kia

#10 - BMW

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I don't think JD Power is relevant anymore. Their was a scandal where manufacturers who were paying for the JD Power consulting services were getting higher scores and it was brought into question the independence of the consulting and survey business practices of the company and the high prices JD power were charging auto manufacturing.

JD Power is bunk.

Just look at all of the Chevy commercials.

Yah the ones with "real people, not actors".

C.R is still trustworthy IMHO.

+1

JD power DOES mean something to those who only lease their vehicle short-term, I guess. How many of us Subaru owners fall into that category?

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Just gonna drop this here as it explains a lot

(Subaru Technician)

Funny, I watched that earlier today. An independent Subaru tech I know hates the FA/FB engines. What he complains about is over my head though, so I don't really understand why. He actually thinks the CVTs are fine. He hasn't seen many issues.

^ outside of the casting crack on my 2014 for the front differential, I have had no issues with the CVT. even the replacement seems to be just fine... but i only use my car for going to work and the occasional long distance road trip to visit my parents.

in a nutshell, Subaru is experiencing what every single car maker goes through when they expand at a rate that outpaces their ability to maintain quality... Subaru has been maxed out production wise since 2014 and you can tell...my 2003 Legacy has stood up much better and has been by far more reliable than the 2014 legacy I am driving now

2003 legacy has 140IK I have driven it the last 80K, the car is 17 years old

replaced rear view mirror at 61K when I got it

resealed engine at 61K, also corrected piston slap since they had it apart, was not required...

new front/rear brakes 61K

new timing components at 61K

replaced water pump at 120K

replaced front left axle at 91K

replaced end links in rear at 75K

2014 Legacy 62K miles driven it 43K of those miles

New front o2 at 40K

New intake gaskets 55K

New MAF 30K

New t-stat 50K

New left front caliper 61K (new pads and rotors front)

New rear brakes 41K (new pads, rotors)

In the winter time the 14 legacy drinks gas worse than the 2003 legacy...we are talking an average of 21 vs 24 for the 2003 and no one can figure this out....lololol

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

but he is not talking about a CVT, he is talking about a Mazda..

He doesn't specifically talk about Subaru CVTs. He does talk about CVTs in general. The most interesting thing he says in my mind is Mazda doesn't use them, and their cars still get very good fuel economy which is supposed to be the whole point of CVTs.

TBH, if Subaru doesn't get solve their quality/identity problems, I am likely to shop around a bit more next time we need a car. I don't know much about Mazda's AWD system, but it seems like they are killing it in most other areas. It seems like they are making smarter engineering decisions as well as producing attractive, comfortable, efficient cars.

Where I live, I am starting to see more and more new, current year Mazdas and fewer new Subarus. I am not sure the new Forester is selling nearly as well as the previous model for instance. I see them on test drives as the dealer is close to my house, but I haven't seen very many with permanent tags on the street. It really makes me wonder if I should have test driven the Mazda 6 when I was in the market for my Legacy.

In 2015, I was shopping got into a Mazda 6 at the dealer. I knew I didn't want to drive it. It felt like I was sitting too low and did not have sufficient visibility. The Legacy was a dramatic difference.

I also have friend who bought one and says it's the thing he doesn't like about the car. So until they change body style I won't be owning my second one (first was a 626 in '88).

SubieN8

think you better not assume i did not watch it

I did and it is a video as to why Mazada does not use a CVT, nada to do with Subaru

Perhaps you would watch his other video where he raves about whatever new toy he has.... and then later goes on to as why he got rid of it...