"Bullet Proof" TMIC Kits

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

More kits going out today, my stock is getting pretty low. I'll be headed to the machine shop sometime next week and will hopefully not have any "out of stock" period.

As always, thanks for the orders!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• I Donated
Anyone have the napa banding tool they want to forward on for the good of the whole?

I need one for this job only...

the good one on amazon is 16 shipped. it will cost you a little less than that to pay a member to ship you theirs. just buy it

• Moderators
Thanks everyone for the orders, I'm SOLD OUT! I have a couple to ship out tomorrow (if you have ordered one already, no need to worry!), but after those go out it will likely be a week or two before I have them back in stock and ready to ship. I will update things accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...
Got a quick question on this that may not come with a simple answer. I just noticed that I was only able to boost up to about 14.5psi so got digging around and noticed that the clamp between the throttle body hose and the intercooler was loose. Tightened this down and got up to 16.1-16.4psi according to my Accessport. The car was stage 2 when I bought it (and still currently is) and was tuned to 17.5psi, which I am now unable to hit. Assuming that I have already have a small leak at the intercooler, will this kit fit it? I'm planning to leak test the car to find out for sure where the leak is at and if the leak isn't at the intercooler then I would obviously like to install this fix to reliably get me up to 17.5psi again. However, if the leak is at intercooler then hopefully it isn't too far gone for this to help.

• Moderators
Got a quick question on this that may not come with a simple answer. I just noticed that I was only able to boost up to about 14.5psi so got digging around and noticed that the clamp between the throttle body hose and the intercooler was loose. Tightened this down and got up to 16.1-16.4psi according to my Accessport. The car was stage 2 when I bought it (and still currently is) and was tuned to 17.5psi, which I am now unable to hit. Assuming that I have already have a small leak at the intercooler, will this kit fit it? I'm planning to leak test the car to find out for sure where the leak is at and if the leak isn't at the intercooler then I would obviously like to install this fix to reliably get me up to 17.5psi again. However, if the leak is at intercooler then hopefully it isn't too far gone for this to help.

Look at the passenger / front corner of the TMIC. If that corner looks OK you're good to install the kit. If it wasn't ok you would likely be seeing some larger issues. Even if that front corner begins to split, the kit should be able to be installed without issue unless the failure is pretty catastrophic. There is a seal in between the end tank and the core, and as long as that seal is still ok you should be fine with the kit.

If you want to take a picture of that corner and post it up that would be helpful. Also post up results of your boost/vacuum leak test.

Hopefully the pictures show up. Definitely appears to be splitting apart and when I touched the one little tab it broke right off. There is oil or other material that has built up along the seam. Saveable? I'd hate to spend the money on a new intercooler but I'd also hate to buy something that won't fix the problem. I'm sitting at 112k miles so I'm not shocked some things are starting to go, especially when I read about the issues people have stage 2.

2013-06-10_19-48-45_412.thumb.jpg.e2346ae3b6bb721d8ba77d3d42c82d91.jpg

2013-06-10_19-53-39_475.thumb.jpg.cf39803d10869e9f00e04ccf7682a4af.jpg

• Moderators

as bucko says, I would say your TMIC is salvageable, you'll just need to gently press everything back together with some vise grips.

If you prefer, I also have a spare TMIC in the garage with some bent fins but otherwise in good shape that I can throw in for a bit extra.