LegacyGT.com

Fog light tinting issues

So 2008 spec b, stock fog lights. I bought new lights from depot lighting because when I got the car the lights were cracked. I've been running a yellow lamin-x film and apparently they have been burnt by the light and I'm actually thoroughly unimpressed by them. I went to a local tinting shop who were gonna replace the lamin-x with a deeper yellow tint but when he looked at my fog lights he said they are running way too hot so I need to replace the bulbs.

Now the lights are new and the bulbs are also just stock color so I would assume they are stock. I'm looking for a deep yellow look which I was going to achieve with the film but I need a cooler light apparently. Maybe lower watts but same brightness? Idk what's your guys 2 cents

Yellow tinted bulbs? They might even have a lower color temperature too. Unless you want the yellow look in the daytime too, then this won't work obviously. I don't have fogs, but the Sylvania web site says the fogs take a 9006 bulb? There are probably more yellow 9006's out there.. these are just the first ones I found with a quick search.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-VISION-Light-Yellow-Contains/dp/B079ZBCXYQ

Oh damn, didnt know they had yellow bulbs like that. The car does use the 9006. Generally those tints are a good deep yellow all the time but the lamin-x ones were garbage. I wonder if the watts the 9006 put out are just too high. Might have to consider those bulbs for sure tho

In the winter, I run 7000k H3 HIDs and I spray tinted my fog light housing with Krylon Canary Yellow Tinted Glass spray paint. It’s a fairly deep yellow without the HIDs on and with them on you get that “JDM” yellow look. I only run the HIDs in the winter now because it does raise my intake temperatures substatially. The light output of the HIDs is so far ahead of any halogen or LED that fits the H3 size. 10/10 would recommend. Any tinted bulbs will not last as long as an untinted halogen. If you want just the color without the hassle but don’t care for light output, LEDs will last forever.

First question would really be are you doing this for looks or function?

I retrofited Ford projector fogs with 3000k (which is yellow) HIDs. Very useful and nice and yellow. I still need to post some pictures....

You could try stain glass tint or there is some sort of translucent paint. Or yellow leds, all of which will you varying of yellow and actual light output.

Found a picture, not the greatest.

rvbaXGRl.jpg

Pic looks like cool white headlights and warm light fogs.

I too wouldn't mind yellow fogs and FWIW the stock everything about the fogs is terrible. They are useless so they might as well look good attempting to play the part. I am not into taking the lights all apart to tint or paint anything so bulbs are the way to go for me.

Headlights are a HID projector retrofit, 4300k Philips bulbs (OEM bulb for basically all manufacturers). It's a poor picture.

If purely for looks, then an led bulb is likely going to get you the most yellow.

BTW, you can't take apart the fogs. In the sense that you can't separate the glass from the housing. So if you where painting/tinting them it would have to be on the outside, which is also exposed to the elements so they would likely get chipped up if not protected some way.

In my last car I used a krylon stained glass paint and it worked okay but I do wish it was a little deeper of yellow. This one is honestly more for looks so I want a deep yellow that's gonna stand out and contrast from the 5500k hid I'm running in the headlights

In my last car I used a krylon stained glass paint and it worked okay but I do wish it was a little deeper of yellow. This one is honestly more for looks so I want a deep yellow that's gonna stand out and contrast from the 5500k hid I'm running in the headlights

Try the deep yellow 3000k H3 HIDs you can buy on amazon for about $25. It’s just about as goldenrod as it gets before orange. Just keep in mind from my earlier post that your intake temps will go up if you run them during the summer without a heat shield. I could drive around with just my fog lights honestly because of how good the light output was.

Archived