LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

does anyone else burn thru donut gaskets like they are going out of style? I'm about to have to replace the donut gasket between my nameless catback (roughly 3" ID) and the stock down pipe for the 3rd time (if you include the original swap). thinking a probably need to change something up, i will probably go for something with a 2.75" or 2.625" ID, but its surprisingly hard to find them with all of their dimensions listed. one thats 2.5" on the ID and... IDK 4" on the OD would likely be perfect but i have a feeling ill need to settle for something in between

EDIT:... just spoke with nameless, they said their donut is meant to have the stock one seated in it. seems strange to me as someone who is wholey against reusing gaskets but i guess it would work if its cranked down on hard enough.... i think I'm still going to look for something in between the 2 that will work rather than buying 2 donuts.

dimensions as given by nameless are 3.25"outer and 3" inner diameter on the tapered side, 3.75" outer and 3" inner on the flat side and .75" thickness front to back

Edited by ripstik
more info

does anyone else burn thru donut gaskets like they are going out of style? I'm about to have to replace the donut gasket between my nameless catback (roughly 3" ID) and the stock down pipe for the 3rd time (if you include the original swap). thinking a probably need to change something up, i will probably go for something with a 2.75" or 2.625" ID, but its surprisingly hard to find them with all of their dimensions listed. one thats 2.5" on the ID and... IDK 4" on the OD would likely be perfect but i have a feeling ill need to settle for something in between

EDIT:... just spoke with nameless, they said their donut is meant to have the stock one seated in it. seems strange to me as someone who is wholey against reusing gaskets but i guess it would work if its cranked down on hard enough.... i think I'm still going to look for something in between the 2 that will work rather than buying 2 donuts.

dimensions as given by nameless are 3.25"outer and 3" inner diameter on the tapered side, 3.75" outer and 3" inner on the flat side and .75" thickness front to back

Did you ever consider one of these?

https://www.grimmspeed.com/stock-dp-aftermarket-3-in-catback-adapter-subaru/

nameless actually just sent this to me, but he thinks that with their DP you can't use the flat gasket and would instead have to use it in between the stock donut and the 3" donut which means i would need to get both anyway, so why not just skip the adapter and do it as nameless originally intended. and I'm pretty sure they are right, from my memory the pipe just ends with a bell and has a flange slipped over it rather then having a flange welded to the bell like the adapter would require to use the flat gasket. so either i find a donut with dimensions i like or i get both and slam it in as originally intended.

Edited by ripstik

Ripstik, look at the adapter closely. The inside is a bell taper to make good contact with the stock donut, and the other side uses a flat gasket to go up against the catback flange. I would trust Grimmspeed over Nameless any day. Edited by GTEASER

Ripstik, look at the adapter closely. The inside is a bell taper to make good contact with the stock donut, and the other side uses a flat gasket to go up against the catback flange. I would trust Grimmspeed over Nameless any day.
This is the one i used, not sure what the difference is.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/exhaust-gaskets-and-hardware/grm-077044-grimmspeed-3in-downpipe-to-stock-cat-back-adapter?gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_i203VHiEoPeiykcr2apxQHBaqvPcQIKi8utBrtLfyPXNq6VeNuDrKhoCst0QAvD_BwEfff76f6b431ae32d0573c77626fcedc8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

One is for stock DP to 3" catback. The other is for 3" DP to stock catback. Says it right in the description. Lol!

Ripstik, look at the adapter closely. The inside is a bell taper to make good contact with the stock donut, and the other side uses a flat gasket to go up against the catback flange. I would trust Grimmspeed over Nameless any day.
Yeah I looked at it, maybe it's differences between different runs of the midpipe but if you look at the picture I dug up you can see the flange isn't welded onto the midpipe and even if it was it's not flush with the end so the flat gasket won't work. It may have worked if the flat gasket was designed to be on the stock side, but even if that was the case it wouldn't be viable for me because salt. I'm going to do the original nameless solution and seat an oem donut into a 3" donut. It'll cost about $40. I wish I could do it with one gasket as my expertise in sealing says that's more reliable but it's a huge hassle finding these things with more than just the ID dimension listed.51b98fd9d052edc27487b4381c104c52.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

https://www.turbochargerpros.com/buynow/2010/Subaru/Legacy/Turbocharger/40-31304_AN?src=pla&gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_i3mASGFZSmz9lCjyzJGdy8-8FlxZTQXX9qnjaVvBWQJBymPwE78RURoCEFkQAvD_BwE

I'm not sure what to make of that, I was searching for a rebuild kit for my spare turbo and came across that page with a $258 vf54.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

^^ That is clearly not OEM, but I wonder if it would be good enough for BNR to upgrade it?

possibly since they essentially just use the housings and those are relatively difficult to mess up(at least to outer dimensions that BNR is concerned with since they re profile the inner dimensions), but that one doesn't show a drain pan that we would need so that would have to be gotten from somewhere

Gonna spend my fantasy football earnings on a VF54 retrofit. Likely going with a EvoIII/TD05.... Getting quotes a handful of folks.

Do post about it here if you proceed, please! I think It would be cool to see how these conversions are done nowadays.

On my daily drivers, I have been keeping a record of purchase cost, mods, repairs and figuring out the average monthly expense over the ownership of the vehicle. I exclude gas and scheduled maintenance items. (Tires, brakes, batteries and anything on service schedule assuming all cars will have those expense) I realized that I had not finished my ‘12 2.5i that I sold last September yet. It cost me ~$255/month in a little over 5 years and 80k miles. I normally keep my cars longer than that and it likely would have been average out to much lower monthly payment. I don’t expect my Legacy GT to fair as well, but I will see. I am curious how my used 2009 Outback does and if I go that route again.

Hmmmm....interesting. I do much the same, but, I include everything but gas and so far on the 2013 3.6R it is working out to about $470 Cdn. per month.Which is about $354 in US dollars and includes 2 sets of wheels and tires.....probably works out to about the same if we kept the records the same way. :) Edited by Scooby Fan

...my youngest turned 8-months old two days ago. She's totally adorable, but I would be lying if I said this 4-kid thing doesn't suck a bunch of energy out of you. I want to believe it'll get easier as they get older, but I've heard it's just different :lol: Edited by Syndicate