LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

My mom had a 850 turbo wagon for a while. Nice car.

Need to change plugs. Don't want to go out in the cold to do it. Guess I'll suck it up and get it over with before it rains again.

Edit: Plugs done, still the pain I remember, just better at it what needs to get out of the way. Time to order a new power steering pump... Pukeadelisioso mess working it's way over that side of the motor and TB cover. Wanted to poke in there around now anyhow. Still considering the fluidampr crank pulley and apparently need to trim crank cover for it to fit.

Edited by kzr750r1

The Volvo mod drives like a crown vic that’s been given a sport suspension. She’s big compared to the outback. The power is like stage 1, and actually is faster above 75 then the outback at similar power levels. The comfort is lovely. The auto is nice for dailying. The engine sounds very cool given it’s a inline 5 cylinder. It’s the nicest car I’ve owned. I have no desire to mod it up. I might do a manual swap someday though, honestly that’s about all it needs to feel like a stage 1 spec b wagon. And a 6mt manual swap is cheaper then for Subaru! I love that I love it for what it is. I love that it doesn’t consume me like the outback did. It’s not an escape wagon, it’s a dad wagon. Its already low enough. The suspension has three settings from comfort to teeth rattle so no need to mess with that. If I upgrade the intercooler and downpipe I can get 350+ to the wheels on pump if I ever go insane again. The steering wheel reminds me of the damd wheel. It’s quiet which I wanted my outback to be again. I don’t have to warm it up to drive, I can put any gas in I want. At 39 it feels like it’s appropriate for where I’m at. It feels like release from a bad dream.

Bahahah... Then mentions can get 350+ with mods. :rolleyes:

I only added that because it’s nice to think about. Mods like that won’t be happening until I have a second car alway available. It’s often said that it doesn’t take that much to get to 300hp with the ej25. But I’ve found that there is a Subaru echo chamber that pushes a myth of easy power and reliability (to a point). But I can’t think of anything easier then an intercooler and downpipe upgrade to add close to 100 crank horse over stock and 350 at the wheels relative to the Subaru world. I honestly didn’t know that there was anything analgous to the legacy/outback wagon.

All in good fun mon. Enjoy your new ride. You get to learn an entirely different platform, but in the end it's still a car, they all have some secrets to tell. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. We can learn from our past and with these forums share our wins and hardship. Volvo build quality is on par with the best.

Yours have grease certs in the door hinges?

Edited by kzr750r1

Looks like my torque converter took a shit and the grinding sounds horrific when in gear. In nuetral everything sounds totally fine.

The question would be is the auto 5eat for my 08' 3.0engine different because of the si#drive?

Looking for some pointers because from what I've been gathering I'll need to just replace both it and the transmission.

I get replacing the torque converter. But why not have the transmission rebuilt?

Was just thinking last night if I'm feeling the final days of my converter lately. Little slipping while hot in stop and go... Little more vibration in gear at intersections while stopped.

Ex had a 4runner with an auto. She blew up the converter so I know the sounds your talking about. Was not a big fan of that truck.

Replaced both OCV for AVCS and the PCV assembly... Well I changed the elbow and PCV part of the assembly. Kept the hoses and clamps in the car from the last unit.

1) Remind me next time I have the intake off to beat the coolant tank mount out of the way for better access to the Passenger OCV.

2) Holy tight squeeze batman on the PCV change... I have a worm gear clamp on the bottom and PCV hose connections. Yeah that was fun. Lucky I had the 14" flat head screwdriver.

3) Check three times before closing the hood. Found after changing the plugs forgot to tighten the airbox to intake hose clamp. DOH!

Test drive after was nice and smooth even with my next OC a few miles away.

Anyone notice a difference after an oil change?

Friend thinks I'm crazy that the car feels smoother after an OC.

Edited by kzr750r1

Hello Gents!

Changed out my Trans fluid last weekend, and now have a pronounced whine at 37-41mph regardless of gear or even neutral. Wheel bearing? Fluid levels correct, used proper fluid. I changed to Whiteline shifter bushings and installed a Kartboy shifter at the same time as the fluid change, so maybe I am getting a weird harmonic that wasn't perceivable with 140k miles old rubber bushings? Old fluid looked old, but showed no sign of contaminants.

I am a firm believer of maintenance before mods, but if I can do both at the same time- bonus! Wheel bearings, fix the oil leak at the turbo (looks like it might be from the oil return flange gasket), and start looking at braking suspension upgrades next.

Mostly how mine looked except a little less of the white frosting.

Wishing my garage was heated so I could go out in winter in flip flops and change my plugs. :)

Yeah man. flip flops for life :lol:. Grew up in the islands, so I love wearing these (with my board shorts) no matter the weather. Garage temp right now is about 55-60. Not bad really.

First, I was glad to see that the spark plugs did not have noticeable oil residue on them. Now, for the white frosting, I think it confirms what I've been seeing on btssm (positive long term fuel trims for several months now -- around +5-12%). The ECU has been constantly trying to add fuel to compensate for a lean condition. And I can't find a vacuum leak :mad:. So, it may be time to adjust the tune. Just been lazy dang it.

• 2 weeks later...
Need to pop the hood and look for any reason not to use the OBXT for a 630 mile round trip to Burbank for the week. Luckily the hotel is within walking distance of the office so it can stay parked while I'm there, aside from any personal excursions I may have time for. Will be ready for an oil change upon my return. Good thing is I can take my tool box and leave no stone un turned while there.

Heading to the professionals on the trans problem. Doesn't sound good. If they say the gears are bad in 1-2 think I should rebuild or should I say no and just find a used 5eat? With the 3.0 and the siDrive looks like I can only use 08-09 or I have to find 07+ obxt trans correct?

I’m scheduling with Surgeline to get my Cobb Flex Fuel kit installed with an additional -4 return line. I’m also getting my EWG recirculated back into the downpipe (rather than atmosphere) and two new dyno tunes (pump/E85).

WRX USA, I think you've mentioned that you are also driving a Tesla now. What are your impressions so far? Do you still like driving your OBXT?

I LOVE the Model S! I’ve driven it over 7,000 miles since September including back and forth to the Bay Area a couple times and out to Phoenix/Sedona through San Diego and back. Honestly, I haven’t driven the OBXT much during that time. The Model S actually has more space in it (it’s a dual motor so the frunk isn’t crazy large but still fits quite a bit). Acceleration on the Tesla off the line, even though it isn’t a performance model, destroys most cars. From 80-120 though the OBXT would leave the Tesla in the dust.