LegacyGT.com

Could use some advice... I guess?

Just moved across country to Colorado and brought my LGT with me. Now that I'm here, I've had my worst fears confirmed: I have a knock at startup.

The news gutted me... I've spent the last two years (and waaaaay too much money) getting this car to be what I want and I just can't bring myself to throw more money into it. Additionally, I don't have a backup car nor do I have access to a shop to rebuild the car myself so I'm looking at a ton of cost in labor on top of parts. I think I'm going to have to just sell it as is but I guess I wanted some opinions from those that are disconnected from the situation.

Mod list (because there's a lot):

• ENGINE:

• Manley h-beam connecting rods
      Wiseco pistons
      ARP Head Studs
      New coil packs
      1 step colder spark plugs
      Group N motor mounts

Sensors

• 4 Bar MAP sensor
    New knock sensor
    New O2 sensor
    New MAF sensor
    AEM X Series wideband (wired into rear O2 sensor harness for logging)

Turbo

• Bloush 440XT Turbo
    KS Tech big MAF intake
    Grimmspeed top mount intercooler
    Perrin turbo inlet
    Samco silicone bypass hose
    Grimmspeed 3-port EBC

Fueling

• Converted injectors to top feed
    ID1000 injectors
    DW300 fuel pump
    New fuel filter
    New fuel pressure regulator

Transmission

• 5-speed transmission rebuilt 5k miles ago
    WRX Single-mass flywheel
    ACT Street HD clutch
    Group N transmission mount
    Kartboy short shifter and bushings

Suspension

• New lower control arms
    All rear suspension bushings replaced
    Whiteline front and rear sway bars and end links
    Koni yellow struts
    New strut mounts

Exhaust

• Tomei Expreme EL header and catless up pipe
    Perrin catted down pipe (with extra GESI cat for emissions)
    Invidia Q300 cat back (with Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator)

Cooling

• Koyorad radiator
    Samco silicone radiator hoses

Interior

• JDM radio bezel and HVAC Controls
    Redline Goods shift boot and e-brake boot
    Cobb AP v3

Misc

• IAG AOS
    Evap delete

As you can see, this is a lot to walk away from but I'm done with tuner cars and I just don't think I can bring myself to dump another chunk of change into this car.

Should I just try to sell it as it sits? What would this thing be worth in its current condition?

Sorry to hear that.

Lot's of good parts there. How many miles on that set up ?

Where in CO are you ?

Heuberger and Dave of Cryo Tuning are there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Welcome to Colorado! My recommendation is to list it on Craigs List and see what offers, if any, you may get for it. Colorado is a great market for Subaru's, even those that may not be in the best of shape. Listing on CL is free so why not give it a shot?

Did you update your tune for altitude?

You can definitely make more in a part out, but it’s a good bit more time and you need a place to keep it while parting. Good news is that you live in one of the two better places for selling a Subaru if you decide to do that.

Did you update your tune for altitude?

Not yet; we only got here this past weekend. I stopped at a Subaru speed shop where the bottom end knock was confirmed

You can definitely make more in a part out, but it’s a good bit more time and you need a place to keep it while parting. Good news is that you live in one of the two better places for selling a Subaru if you decide to do that.

These are all fair points... I think my wife would kill me if I filled out garage up with car parts though...

Not yet; we only got here this past weekend. I stopped at a Subaru speed shop where the bottom end knock was confirmed

These are all fair points... I think my wife would kill me if I filled out garage up with car parts though...

I can completely relate. Mine is fairly tolerant as long as it doesn't fill up the garage or drain the bank account. I hate to hear about the knock, that sucks man. I try not to live in fear that it'll happen to me one day, I've spent the last 18 months just getting mine the way I like it. I'd say I won't do it again, but I probably will. It's just in my blood. Wish I had some magic fairy knock dust or brilliant thing to tell you.

I got your PM. Thats pretty crappy dude. What would you like to do? As you were told, I'm pretty savvy and have the means to do whatever it is you need done. Ill PM you my number and we can chat about your options.

A plan is indeed a-brewin.

I'm always impressed with sense of community I get from Subaru owners. Many many thanks to those who offered some solutions and a million more to JassAvi8r for his generosity and problem solving. More on the situation as it develops I suppose.

Welcome to Colorado! I came across a similar issue when I moved here from the east coast. A tune seemed to clear it all up.

Wish I had more input for ya. Glad there's a plan forming though!

Thanks for the input. The car definitely needs a tune to compensate for the altitude but I'm pretty certain it has an air leak as it maxed out the AF Learn A & B ranges trying to add fuel.

I'm going to end up parting out the LGT and buying JazzAvi8tr's OBX from well....crap. please help (after I swap over some goodies, of course!) and that'll get me on the road again. I'll start working on a list of what I'm keeping and update when I can.

Archived