LegacyGT.com

Audio install questions - 05 gt

GearJamr

Hi,

I am picking up an 05 legacy gt wagon on Saturday. Want to move the Alpine HU I have into it, so I obviously need the JDM double DIN panel and the wire harnesses from svxdc.

Question 1: Did all GTs come with steering wheel controls? I don't particularly care if they work or not, but better safe than sorry I guess. I didn't even look to be honest when I tested the car.

Q2: Since my HU is a single DIN, I presume I can just buy a single DIN cubby/pocket to fill the space?

I'm sure I have forgotten something but if I think of it I will post again.

TIA

• 1 month later...

To the best of my knowledge, no 2005 Legacy models got audio steering wheel controls (SWCs). 2005 GT and GT Ltd with automatic transmissions did get the "Sportshift" shift up/down buttons, but those are not audio controls.

On 2006-2007 Legacys, the spec.B models got the 3-spoke MOMO leather wrapped steering wheel with audio SWCs.

On 2008 Legacys, these models got the new-style SWCs (with all of the audio buttons on the left spoke and cruise control buttons on the right spoke): GT Ltd, spec.B, and 3.0R Ltd. In all other models, the car is prewired for the audio SWCs, and you can replace the blank panel with the OEM SWC pod (see this post). Note that some of the OEM HUs in models with manual A/C controls don't support the audio SWCs, but the factory wiring does still go all the way from the wheel to the HU's i85 harness.

The SWCs in 2009 Legacys are similar to the above, and these models got audio SWCs from the factory: 2.5i Ltd, GT, spec.B, 3.0R Ltd.

You do have all the wiring to retrofit audio controls even on the 05 manual. I ended up disassembling my clockspring to trace all the wires and you have audio control wire on the otherside of the clockspring harness. I wish I took more pics. It’s as simple as adding metra swc to aftermarket HU and tapping into a wire behind the steering column for an aftermarket HU. It works perfect with the Sony HU I have. There’s a decent diy for factory swc add on that I used to install a STI steering wheel with SWC. But you would need some type of steering wheel with SWC control.

IMG_1437.thumb.JPG.036d2b2819067a92f79f4d491f79fa14.JPG

IMG_1352.thumb.JPG.937724121b6151e81bb29a9498c19f85.JPG

IMG_1436.thumb.JPG.0cbdd4e4da11f396ab25f9272a607b79.JPG

IMG_1355.thumb.JPG.c06de5563f12d249029c4bed6eb16898.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used 08 STI steering wheel pin out on NASIOC to ID the wires on the steering wheel I used then ID’d wires on 05 listed on this site. I’ll try to write up a DIY but all the info is on this site sort of scattered in bits and pieces.

Oh and I had a spare clockspring to mess around for this purpose. Steering wheels with audio controls like the one I have can be had for less than $100 on eBay.

Here is my final setup with all steering buttons working.

IMG_1439.thumb.JPG.1d13ccadc2d8fcc1bc509eef701ef661.JPG

Hi,

I am picking up an 05 legacy gt wagon on Saturday. Want to move the Alpine HU I have into it, so I obviously need the JDM double DIN panel and the wire harnesses from svxdc.

Question 1: Did all GTs come with steering wheel controls? I don't particularly care if they work or not, but better safe than sorry I guess. I didn't even look to be honest when I tested the car.

Q2: Since my HU is a single DIN, I presume I can just buy a single DIN cubby/pocket to fill the space?

I'm sure I have forgotten something but if I think of it I will post again.

TIA

Yes you can. I got my pocket from amazon. It fits ok.

911011b045236277a4210d572c100ae4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brought to you by Pfizer

• 4 weeks later...

So, no steering wheel controls verified. I got the avoJDM panel and installed my HU and a generic cubby in it. Attempted the install a couple months ago when I had a free weekend, but could not find a suitable area to route the amp wire from the battery.

I read many people saying to route through either the diamond shaped grommet near the brake booster but I can't as I have a 5MT, not a 5eat. Second most popular is through the wheel well, but I read that the grommet in there is likely taken if it is a wagon as the plumbing for the rear window cleaner fluid runs through there. I have not verified that yet as hockey season for the kids keeps me pretty frigging busy.

I found two other possible locations, and I'm wondering if anyone has used these locations before, and where they lead. First is sorta near the turbo....

I have pics but it won't let me upload. The small hole near the turbo, about 1/2" diameter near the center of the car. Does anyone know where that would exit on the interior? Perhaps behind the cubby where the clock/display panel is?

The other is a much larger opening closer to the passenger side shock tower. Probably 1 1/2" diameter. I can see plastic on the interior side from the engine bay through the hole. Guessing that would come out somewhere near the glove box?

Unfortunately I won't have a lot of time until at least end of March and I'm loathe to keep paying for SiriusXM when I'm not able to use it. I just want to have solid knowledge so I can save time before jumping in to the install and be able to finish it within 2-3 hours, which is the max I can get at any one time.

Thanks for any verification or correction you can add!

Archived