LegacyGT.com

Thoughts on: Koni Yellows, KYB GR2 & Bilstein HD

Mr-C

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone has any experience / feedback they can share about the above mentioned suspensions?

I just spent a bunch of $$$ on a forged engine + upgrades, exhaust and a tune so the budget is pretty tight now.....wondering what would be the best "bang for my buck" ?

Thanks !!

Honestly depends on what you're looking for. The KYB GR2 are just OEM replacements so they're not really recommended to use with lowering springs.

If you decide to go with aftermarket springs, then it's recommended you go with an upgraded strut such as the Koni Yellow or the Bilstein HD. Both seem like pretty popular options but if I remember correctly, the Koni Yellows will work better with lowering springs. Konis are also adjustable in dampening and have a lifetime warranty but will require you to do some cutting of your old strut bodys to do the fronts as they're only inserts. Rears are fully replacements though. I was going to go Koni Yellows coupled with Swift springs until I ended up getting a set of KW V2s

Honestly depends on what you're looking for. The KYB GR2 are just OEM replacements so they're not really recommended to use with lowering springs.

If you decide to go with aftermarket springs, then it's recommended you go with an upgraded strut such as the Koni Yellow or the Bilstein HD. Both seem like pretty popular options but if I remember correctly, the Koni Yellows will work better with lowering springs. Konis are also adjustable in dampening and have a lifetime warranty but will require you to do some cutting of your old strut bodys to do the fronts as they're only inserts. Rears are fully replacements though. I was going to go Koni Yellows coupled with Swift springs until I ended up getting a set of KW V2s

Thanks for your feedback,

Right now I'm on OEM shocks and COBB springs....its been like this for the past 7yrs+ and been running fine....so why would it cause issues with the KYB exactly?

I agree that the choice would probably come down to KONI or Bilstein.....I remember emailing COBB 2-3yrs ago inquiring about the springs I have and if they were compatible with the HD.....I was told yes!

With the disgraceful road conditions we have here in Quebec - Canada I'm leaning more towards the HD which appear a lot tougher in terms of design & craftsmanship. Also a bit less of a headache to install compared to the KONI which involve some cutting as you mentioned.

Decisions Decisions !!! :confused:

Thanks for your feedback,

Right now I'm on OEM shocks and COBB springs....its been like this for the past 7yrs+ and been running fine....so why would it cause issues with the KYB exactly?

I agree that the choice would probably come down to KONI or Bilstein.....I remember emailing COBB 2-3yrs ago inquiring about the springs I have and if they were compatible with the HD.....I was told yes!

With the disgraceful road conditions we have here in Quebec - Canada I'm leaning more towards the HD which appear a lot tougher in terms of design & craftsmanship. Also a bit less of a headache to install compared to the KONI which involve some cutting as you mentioned.

Decisions Decisions !!! :confused:

It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to run the Cobb springs on the KYB's but they would just be better suited to either the Koni's or the Bilsteins.

Trust me we got pretty bad roads in Alberta too haha. With my job, I probably do more light offroading than most people with trucks and jeeps. Konis are built great as well and don't forget the lifetime warranty which I think they're the only aftermarket strut replacement option that offers this

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can you use B6 with STI pinks?

Have you called Bilstien and asked them ? I'm sure their Tech Support will have an answer.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here